Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How much gold is there in British gold soverigns?

Back in the 1980's, I bought a proof British soverign. I have not looked at it in a while, and I don't know how much gold is in the coin. I don't think it is a rare coin, but given the price of gold, maybe now is the time to sell it. The coin has King George slaying the dragon on one side. Did these coins come in just one size, or are they like the gold buffalo coins and come in many different variations? Also, any idea of the fineness? Thanks.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭

there are multiple sizes... make sure it's not a 1/2 sov, full sov 7.9x g I believe....
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    assuming it's not a 2 pound, or 5 pound same design... hopefully im not confusing things with the 2 & 5..someone will correct me Im sure.

Chard... Ive purchased from them a couple times
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    The one I have is a 1929 with George V on the obverse and the dragon slaying on the reverse. It's 22mm, .9170, .2354 AGW with an overall weight of 7.9881g. I believe that they only come in this size but the obverses have changed over time.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options

<< <i>The coin has King George slaying the dragon on one side. >>

That's Saint George.

<< <i> Did these coins come in just one size, or are they like the gold buffalo coins and come in many different variations? Also, any idea of the fineness? >>

Sovereigns and half-sovereigns were minted in 22K gold.
    Roy

• Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    They do come in 1/2 sovereigns and the diameter is smaller than the 22mm of the one sovereign.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I answered this in the US forum. I guess a second opinion was needed.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    A bit of info on the coin that pre-dates the United States (as does most world coinage):

A Gold Sovereign is a gold coin first issued in 1489 for Henry VII of England and still in production as of 2008. While the coin typically had a nominal value of one pound sterling or 20 shillings, the sovereign was primarily an official piece of bullion with no mark of value anywhere on the coin itself.

The name "sovereign" comes from the majestic and impressive size and portraiture of the coin, the earliest of which showed the king facing, seated on a throne, while the reverse shows the Royal coat of arms on a shield surrounded by a Tudor double rose.

Original sovereigns were 23 carat (96%) gold and weighed 240 grains or one-half of a troy ounce (15.6 grams). Henry VIII reduced the purity to 22 carats (92%), which eventually became and remains the gold coin standard (so-called crown gold) in both England and the U.S.; the weight of the sovereign was repeatedly lowered until when it was revived after the Great Recoinage law of 1816, the gold content was fixed at the present 113 grains (7.322 g), equivalent to 0.2354 Troy ounces

In addition to the sovereign, the Royal Mint also struck 10 shilling coins (half sovereigns), £2 coins (double sovereigns) and £5 coins (quintuple sovereigns). Only the sovereign and the half sovereign were commonly struck for circulation.

Sovereigns were discontinued after 1604, being replaced by Unites, and later by Laurels, and then guineas. Production of sovereigns restarted in 1817, their reverse design being a portrayal of Saint George killing a dragon, engraved by Benedetto Pistrucci. This same design is still in use on British gold sovereigns, although other reverse designs have also been used during the reigns of William IV, Victoria, George IV, and Elizabeth II.

In Victorian times it was the practice of the Bank of England to remove worn sovereigns and half sovereigns from circulation and have them recoined. Consequently, although a billion sovereigns have been minted in total, that figure includes gold that has been coined and recoined a number of times. In addition, when coins were sent to places such as the United States for international payments between governments, coins were frequently melted down into gold bars because of the Federal regulations then in force. When gold coins were finally withdrawn from circulation in 1933 in the US, many thousands of British gold sovereigns were consigned to the metling pot in this way.

It is estimated that in circulation, a sovereign could have a lifespan of up to 15 years before it fell below the "least current weight", that is, the minimum amount of gold below which it ceased to be legal tender.[3] It was actually the half-sovereign that had the most circulation in Victorian England. Many sovereigns languished in bank vaults for most of their lives. It is estimated that only 1% of all gold sovereigns that have ever been minted are still in collectable condition. In 1891 a proclamation was made that members of the general public could hand in any gold coins that were underweight and have them replaced by full weight coins. Any gold coin struck before 1837 also ceased to be legal tender. This recycled gold was subsequently reminted into 13,680,486 half sovereigns in 1892 and 10,846,741 sovereigns in 1900. (Both figures for the London branch of the Royal Mint).

Sovereign obverse (heads) dies were also used in the nineteenth century to create farthings once they had become worn. (An obverse die could typically produce 100,000 coins.)

2006 Gold Proof Half-Sovereign depicting Saint George.Sovereigns were produced in large quantities until World War I, at which time the UK came off the gold standard. From then until 1932, sovereigns were produced only at branch mints at Melbourne, Sydney, Perth, Bombay, Ottawa, and Pretoria (except for some in 1925 produced in London as part of Winston Churchill's ill-fated attempt to return the UK to the gold standard). The last regular issue was in 1932 (at Pretoria).

Production resumed in 1957, ostensibly to prevent the coin being counterfeited in Syria and Italy. Subsequent publication of treasury papers appear to indicate that sovereigns were widely used in pursuance of British foreign policy in the Middle East, and it was felt that the coin could not be allowed to fall into disrepute, as many individuals were receiving payments in the form of sovereigns for services rendered to the British government.

Sovereigns were produced most years as bullion until 1982. From there to 1999, proof coinage only versions were produced, but since 2000, bullion sovereigns have been minted. Modern sovereigns are minted at the Royal Mint in Pontyclun, Mid-Glamorgan, Wales. The coins are produced in the precious metal unit which is sealed off from the rest of the Mint, the Mint itself being protected by Ministry of Defence police. Employees are not allowed to use any coins within the Mint; plastic tokens replacing coins of the realm are used in the staff canteen.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the darkside Longacre...

You need to consider assemblying a British Gold type set as your next collecting endeavorimage

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Given the new price of gold, I wanted to ask another question (also, good thing I did not sell the coin in 2008!).

Does this coin have any numismatic value, or is the value based purely on gold?

If based purely on gold content, at a local shop, what percentage of melt should I expect (i.e., 90% of melt, 95% of melt, etc.)?

Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    E ll is bullion at best , some of the older ones have numismatic value/appeal. You might consider perusing this particular guide for your worldy information.

World coin database