Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Test shot using new copy stand.... sorry dial uppers

So I used one of my favorite coin designs I love all the Vickies on one coin and an Lizzy.image

Comments

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Ooooh...Ahhhh. Nice photos.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    WOW!! Is that done without any post production, like photoshop??
    Shep
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382

<< <i>WOW!! Is that done without any post production, like photoshop??
    Shep >>

The only post work was putting the obv and rev in the same frame and my name. This was the result of about 10 shots.LOL!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice, clear shots. One suggestion that I have would be moving the camera a little further away from the coin to reduce lens reflection.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Beautiful work! Would you be kind enough to share the details of your photo setup? These are some of the nicest photos I've seen in a long time!
  • Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is Nice.

Is the white background or the product of cropping?
    If cropped, what color was the actual BG used?
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent shot! Only 10 shots to get there? I think it took me at least 40 the first time out image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Nice bit of work! What type of camera are you using?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    My set up is very basic, as it always has lol, first off I use a Nikon coolpix 4300 camera, two of those old, swing arm drafting table lights
    with the clamps with the holes in them for the lights to sit in, an old table as a work surface, a 12" high Camstand copy stand and for shot that I need more than 12" I
    have this tricked out tripod. I use the tripod for proofs which I didn't on this one as this was just a test of the Camstand.

My light bulbs are standard fluorescent light bulbs you know those curly looking ones at 60 watts. I just adjust play with the white balance on the
    camera and take a lot of shots and review them all until I find the perfect one. I used a piece of white cardboard for shooting the coins on. Then take
    the coins into PSP10, crop out the background and past them into whatever background I choose mostly white but I like to experiment with different
    colors. In my sig line is a link to my Omni coin gallery where you can see my photo history it's an on going process. I hope to be getting a newer
    camera the one I used now is just a 4MP I am looking for at least an 8MP.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    Thank you for telling us about your set up!

Thank you for the link to your gallery. Some very nice shots are posted there!

I use a 4300 as well. Had it for several years now. A little beat up but functional.

I often have trouble with the white balance on the curly lights. I found either sunlight or incandesent works pretty good. The latter being a little unpredicatble.

One thing that I read about with is to use a black board with a small hole to prevent camera reflection on the coin's surface. The hole should be just big enough to allow the lens to peak through without showing the silver ring.

Nice photos! Thanks again. I'm going to pick up a second swing arm lamp at lunch and try that.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh aaah is right.

Great shots, and that's a great design on that coin, too.

Now how 'bout some pix of your photo setup?

I just checked out your Omnicoin page. I need to check that site out more. May be a good place to show off some collections, eh? I have seen it before, of course, thanks to the other Darksiders, but have never done much investigating.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.