Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

PSA and VCP?

I'm not sure if it's been discussed...but there is a lot of discussion about the SMR and how close the "values" there represent the real world. So my question is this: Why doesn't PSA (or anyone for that matter) partner with VCP to get real prices for their guide? I realize this competes directly with VCP and their monthly fee services. But I'd think there are some number of people who don't use VCP now who might be more interested if they saw more realistic numbers in their SMR. PSA already charges to access their online SMR and it is incomplete and out of date at best. From a collector/seller standpoint, do you care where you get your information?
Just a random thought that isn't really taking into consideration the two companies, their subscription incomes, etc.
Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector

Comments

• Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    SGC has a partnership with VCP.
  • Options
    I totally agree. Bobby at VCP has been positioning that idea with Joe Orlando for a while. I guess the SMR publication is too valuable...
    WJF

Buying Mike Schmidt basic PSA 10's, rookie QBs
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    It's unfortunate- one of the most common complaints heard here (after the turnaround times) is how out of touch SMR is, and a partnership with VCP be a perfect match.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    cardfan07cardfan07 Posts: 680 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input guys. If they thought it would bite into their subscriptions (on either account), then they didn't market it right. I want quality information-I dont really care where I get it. Maybe they're working on their own?
    That last bit was meant to be a tad sarcastic.
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    I approached Joe and spoke to him a few times about having the SMR brought to you by VCP. At first he wanted to do something then was told that the heads of the other divisions would need to approve a deal. Talked with all of them and the next thing I knew some one from advertising wanted me to start a program with them. We do not have an exclusive with SGC and are open to do a deal with PSA if they would like.

Our goal is to become the official price guide for the hobby.

Maybe if you guys pressure him he may be more open to make a deal.

Bobby
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Bobby,

I'm not sure if this question has been posed to you here already, but does VCP have something in the works for modern cards. Something like MCP? image I use your service quite a bit and I'd love to see prices realized for the modern stuff too.

Andy
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    We will get there eventually still have a lot to do for site functionality. We have some really good things coming soon and working hard to get them in place.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    Bobby,
    I'm currently a paying member and would love to see PSA graded tickets (especially Super Bowl tickets) listed.

Mark
  • Options
    I think that most would agree that the "guides", whether SMR, Beckett, etc are out of touch with prices realized with all the auction options. It's a little surprising to think the chance to get real life information wasn't jumped at.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our goal is to become the official price guide for the hobby. >>

If that's the case, I strongly suggest you host pictures along with the prices.

As you know, not all grades are created equal and this would provide more accuracy.

/ $0.02
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Starting 11/15/07 we started posting the image of the card that sold in the auction. So now when the link dies out the image stays forever. We are now storing about 75,000 new images a month.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>Starting 11/15/07 we started posting the image of the card that sold in the auction. So now when the link dies out the image stays forever. We are now storing about 75,000 new images a month. >>

Hey Stown, How does that foot taste? image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Starting 11/15/07 we started posting the image of the card that sold in the auction. So now when the link dies out the image stays forever. We are now storing about 75,000 new images a month. >>

Hey Stown, How does that foot taste? image >>

I didn't know you were, so my humble apologies and glad to hear of the enhancement.

It greatly improves your accuracy as a guide.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stown,
    Is that pic afriend of yours?
    Fuzz
    Wanted: Bell Brands FB and BB, Chiefs regionals especially those ugly milk cards, Coke caps, Topps and Fleer inserts and test issues from the 60's. 1981 FB Rack pack w/ Jan Stenerud on top.
  • Options
    I know her )
  • Options
    CVS is the best!!!!!!!!! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    Third party Graders are suppose to be totally independant of any kind of Market pricing. Their job is to grade cards NOT make Prices.
    It is a conflict of interest as far as I am concerned.
  • Options
    They're not setting the prices. We are. I don't see how it's a conflict of interest by reporting actual values of cards sold in one holder or another. Best marketing they can ask for is to show their prices on similar cards being higher.