Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I apologize in advance for showing off, but you have to see these. (GRADES POPPED)

I just acquired a 1976 Topps Complete Set from a man locally for $175 plus my EX to EXMT set. This set had to be from vending because there was not one wax or gum stain on any card and 95% (yes 95%) of all corners were MINT to GEM MINT (yes, I looked at every corner under magnification and it took me all day). These cards were breathtaking. With PSA running it's special, I have picked out 72 cards to send in. With the commons, they obviously had to be a lock 9 with a shot at a 10. The stars could be less (you all know how it works).

I have scanned 26 of the 72 cards. The others that I haven't scanned yet, are either commons or league leaders, but believe me (just in case I don't get around to scanning the rest), they are as nice as the commons scanned below. Again, I apologize for showing off, but I think these need to be shown.

I do have some questions regarding these. I know (on some of the stars), centering or print flaw will hurt a little. I'm just wondering how much. For instance, the Nolan Ryan, George Brett with centering or the Rose with the printing defect. Keep in mind, these corners are as MINT as they can be, even under magnification.

What about the Ryan (centering)?

What about the Aaron (centering)?

What about the Brett (centering)?

What about the McCovey (centering)?

What about the Rose (printing defect)?

Feel free to answer those questions or chime in on any of them. If I have time, I will scan the rest later on.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Shane

Comments

• milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭
    WOW! Incredible cards. Thay are beauties...................
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    those are very nice, congrats on a great buy!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    They all look brand new!

What about the Ryan (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Aaron (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Brett (centering)? Not OK.

What about the McCovey (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Rose (printing defect)? Not OK.

"Not OK" = The card might be within the PSA guidelines, but some graders may see an eye-appeal issue on centering.

There could still be 10s - certain 9s - on all of them. Just depends on the grader.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    Woo-hoo!! Very nice find.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They all look brand new!

What about the Ryan (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Aaron (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Brett (centering)? Not OK.

What about the McCovey (centering)? Not OK.

What about the Rose (printing defect)? Not OK.

"Not OK" = The card might be within the PSA guidelines, but some graders may see an eye-appeal issue on centering.

There could still be 10s - certain 9s - on all of them. Just depends on the grader. >>

Given the fact of MINT corners, how much will those cards be hurt?

Shane

• WOW! Beauties. Some of those look like digital creations rather than scans of real cards.
  • ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

• Very cool. That '76 Bench AS is one of the top 10 card images of all time.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "Given the fact of MINT corners, how much will those cards be hurt? "

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I guess it all depends on the grader.

If the card is within the centering guideline, eye-appeal is often
    the determiner.

We have all seen 10s with similar centering;
    but, we have also commented on their eye-appeal vs. their grade.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous cards Shane ! Centering will probably hurt more than print defects for grading, especially if the PD is common for that card. Having said that you still will get 9's for these at least IMO.
    Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • WOW, very nice!

Almost all of them look Mint and some even Gem Mint image

Congrats!

Giovanni
  • Man.... Nice stuff!

Congrats, on a nice purchase. Beautiful cards, dude.
  • fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Kudos, nice stuff. I never find any cool deals like that.
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    I think you made a pretty good deal.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • EstilEstil Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish I had gotten that lucky; the 1976 is one of my favorites (I got a set from BBCE on its way).
    WISHLIST
    D's: 54S,53P,50P,49S,45D+S,44S,43D,41S,40D+S,39D+S,38D+S,37D+S,36S,35D+S,all 16-34's
    Q's: 52S,47S,46S,40S,39S,38S,37D+S,36D+S,35D,34D,32D+S
    74T: 37,38,47,151,193,241,435,570,610,654,655 97 Finest silver: 115,135,139,145,310
    73T:31,55,61,62,63,64,65,66,67,68,80,152,165,189,213,235,237,257,341,344,377,379,390,422,433,453,480,497,545,554,563,580,606,613,630
    95 Ultra GM Sets: Golden Prospects,HR Kings,On-Base Leaders,Power Plus,RBI Kings,Rising Stars
  • Made a damn good deal , that Munson is beautiful by the way .
  • This is an underrated set that still falls into the "modern set catagory.

although not loaded with rookies it is soon becoming a classic set with Hank Aaron's last topps cards.

well done.
  • ManofmoeManofmoe Posts: 264 ✭✭
    Awesome cards, good luck with the grades!

Mike
    I'm getting ready to upload 20 more scans to Photobucket. I am willing to weed out some of these as far as sending them to PSA. I started out wanting to send 160 and had all 160 in Card Savers, but I ended up trimming it down to 72. I would like for you guys to let me know if you see any that doesn't need to go. That goes for the previous scans, as well as those that are coming in a few minutes. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Shane

While scanning, I already found one to weed out. I thought I would show it anyway, since I already had it scanned. The NL Victory LL card has a sizeable print defect at the top that I didn't see. Are there any others that you guys would NOT send in?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Shane

• leadoff4leadoff4 Posts: 2,392
    BLAZERS!!!
  • EagleEyeKidEagleEyeKid Posts: 4,496 ✭✭
    These are amazing! I hope you get all 9s and 10s image
    Thanks. I've got 26 more just like them that I will be scanning and sending in.

Shane

• I really like that Al Leaders , Carew , Lynn and Munson , I have a few of those , but they're not in that condition . . .that is crazy !

Like brand new !

What a find and a half . . I did not do as well today ,But , the don;t know what the Next weekend will hold .

Congratulations on the sweet deal !
  • RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Good lord those are some seriously nice 76's. Awesome find!

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I apologize in advance for showing off >>

Shane

In my book - being proud of your cards and wanting to share them is part of the fun. Ya should never have to apologize for that.

Those are some really sweet cards!!!

Not much else to add.

BTW - for the record, the Aaron card is in the upper left corner of the sheet - and seems to be prone to that kind of centering.

I have the sheet framed and it stares back at me every day when I'm at the computer.

Congratulations on a great pickup.

The Ryan centering borders on 8 but not a 9 IMO.

The Aaron - is at best a 7NQ or 8 or 9OC IMO.

The Brett - again - 8 but not a 9 IMO.

Very nice set.
    mike
    Mike
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes, please keep us 76s collecters updated on your grades. The Brett for sure is low pop in 9. I believe the Windfield is pretty low also in 9. I look forward to seeing what you end up with!!
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice Cards indeed!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭
    very nice!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    Wondo

• Goodsport40Goodsport40 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭
    Thanks for showing off those great 76 cards!

Gotta love the high grade 70's stuff. That's all I collect these daysimage, so I guess I am biased.

Good luck on the grades!

Robert
  • Those are beauty cards! What a deal you got. They all look great!
    PS - It is becuase of cards like the Parker that I like this set so much. I hope that comes back a 10 for you!!image
  • Super.......however i see several 8's, and an outside shot at a couple of 10's Good Luck though!
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"

<< <i>Super.......however i see several 8's, and an outside shot at a couple of 10's Good Luck though! >>

Could you be more specific? I do see some 8's on the star cards that I show at the beginning. However, not on the commons. Do you see any 8's on the commons?

By the way, more scans coming shortly.

Shane

Here are 20 more. Are there any of these that you guys would NOT send in? I'm still debating on the Randolph RC, but will probably send it.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Shane

Stop man, your making me drool all over my keyboard!!image

Those are some nice looking cards and some of those are less than 20 pops in PSA 9!!

<< <i>Stop man, your making me drool all over my keyboard!!image

Those are some nice looking cards and some of those are less than 20 pops in PSA 9!! >>

Which ones?????!!!!!

Shane

• MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    If the Brett gets a 8 or 9 you will do very well. That being said, lay the Brett over a well centered common and see if it is cut correctly, it appears in the scan it could be miscut (one side sticking out more than the other). Being at the corner of the sheet if the sheet moved at all during cutting it would be the most severly affected. If it is a straight cut then it's an 8 at least and I would give you $150 cash for it once it came back.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
    Well I believe the Borgmann one is, and I think the Windfield is somewhere near 20 pop in PSA 9.
  • Great cards! I would think twice about submitting the '76 Cey, the centering is a little off.
    I just checked the Brett. It is cut straight. It does not appear to be miscut at all, which is good news.

Here are the last 6 that I will be sending in. If I get time, I may scan the ones that I AM NOT sending in. I think you may be shocked at the ones I weeded out.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Shane

<< <i>Great cards! I would think twice about submitting the '76 Cey, the centering is a little off. >>

Thanks for noticing. I will reconsider the Cey.

Shane

• your welcome. You should see a lot of 10's!!!!!!!!!!!
    That Vail looks super sweet, hope the back centering is as nice as the front.
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    shane,
    great pickup. these are some great cards in great condition. except for only a few of the stars, centering seems to be great. i enjoy seeing the scans. i look forward to seeing your results. you've inspired me to do a 76 and 77 football thread this way. i'm out of town this week but will try to get something up next week with the scans of cards i'm planning to send in.

again...awesome pickup and good luck on your grades. i would send the ryan in and request no qualifiers just to have it in a holder.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • The Blyleven is my favorite.

Great acquistion!
    There's a hole in my head where the rain comes in.
    Now, here are a few that I weeded out and am NOT sending to PSA (at least right now). I repeat, these are NOT going to PSA. I am beginning to have second thoughts on the Morgan. It is so nice, except for centering. I think a 9 is the most I can even hope for (am I right on that?). The Robinson has centering issues. The Carew and Perez each have one corner that has the lightest of touches that can only be seen under magnification. I think someone with bad breathe just breathed on the corner and it wilted just a little! The Carter has perfect corners and centering, but there is a raised spot in the lower right corner that could possibly be interpreted as a surface wrinkle. I don't think it is, but I have so many to send, I didn't want to risk it. These are from a stack of 87 cards that I weeded out from my original stack.

What do you guys think?

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Shane

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I agree very nice cards.

thanks for sharing!

Steve
    Good for you.