Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Replandores- prices?

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
While I think Dunigan and Parker's Book is good, and after think about this further, it seems that there are some interesting issues with reality in terms of condition rarity coins.

For example... I note that he indicates that certain dates that seem to be available circulated condition are, in his words, very rare in uncirculated condition such as the 1839 MO and the 1871 CA. While I find his comments helpful, it would be helpful to have some idea what an appropriate price multiple should be based on condition. After reviewing his condition commentary, it is difficult for me to take Krause seriously as even a suggested value. The Krause value on these two coins are in the $100-150 range

Another example and perhaps this will be illustrate my concerns from the opposite perspective. Lets use an 1857 GA as an example... Krause lists the unc value at around $400. Dunigan comments that this date is the second most available date in the 1846-1859 period and unc specimens appear from time to time. It seems that in Krause the 1857 is priced higher in unc than several other dates in the 1846-1859 period. Why? just curious...image

Given these comments, are these prices really reflective of the condition rarity as stated by Dunigan or is there just a lack of interest to the point that many of these coins are just priced as type coin examples?

edited to add: My suggestion is that Dunigan and Parker should consider a price supplement and update it every 3-4 years

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck are replandores? An attempt at a google search suggests that they are the ubiquitous Mexican coins with liberty cap on the obverse and the snake destroying eagle on the reverse.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harasha, Resplandores are 8 Reales of the Mexican Republic. As you've mentioned, Radiant Cap on one side and eagle on the cactus on the other.

Coinkat, I don't think there are enough collectors to warrant a more in-depth pricing guide. Dunigan and Parker did a great job cataloging relative scarcity of each issue, but I don't think they would be able to sell too many price guides. This series reminds me of the early Canadian $1 - prices very strong in high grades, but F-VF pieces, even those listed as Scarce, don't seem to be attracting a lot of interest.
  • Options
    mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭
    I'm not sure Krause is any more than just a starting point for values. From the Mexican Coin Magic website:

Mexican Republic 4 Reales:
    My personal experience with 4 Reales is limited, I have been studying them for only a couple of years, but I have contacted several serous and advanced collectors about their experiences and the coins in their collections. Each has freely given of their time, and each has shared their collections with us in order to increase our knowledge about these coins.
    Most of these collectors feel that truly Uncirculated 4 Reales are as rare as hen’s teeth. One of these advanced collectors stated, “Any Mexican Republic 4 Reales collection containing ten Uncirculated 4 Reales is a world-class collection!” This should give you some indication about the Overall Rarity of 4 Reales in this grade. Most of these collectors agree with this statement, “Any Republican 4 Reales, even the most common, truly graded as Uncirculated is worth at least $1,500”. Strike One.

Until the most recent issue of 2007 North American Coins & Prices: A Guide to U.S., Canadian and Mexican Coins Krause listed several very questionable 4 Real DAMs. The latest issue has only one of these remaining: the Zacatecas ZS 1830 OM. Most collectors feel this coin doesn’t exist because there are no verified Zacatecas coins with Assayer OM until 1831. The newest catalog indicates this 4 Real is available in all four grades normally listed, and is priced as a Common Zacatecas 4 Real. If this coin truly exists it is one of, if not, the rarest coin in the series and would probably be worth at least $25,000 in any grade. Strike Two.

There are several 4 Reales that have been known to exist for years that aren’t listed in the current Krause catalog. Strike Three.

Additionally there are many (well over 100 DAMs) that are currently unknown in grades of Extra Fine or better at any price. Strike Four.

And this is just the ‘tip of the iceberg’ with the 4 Real problems in this catalog.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,835 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have mentioned 8 Reales somewhere and just plain forgot

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    dizzleccdizzlecc Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    I'm by no means an expert in 8 reales but I have started collecting them and researching which includes having Resplandores as a resource.

My first question to dealers was about pricing. As with most coins, the current market price is what you are willing to pay for the coin.
    Little is available about pricing for 8 reales. The real challenge is determining grading for the series then you might be able to assess some price range.

The current coins that I see at shows, etc. are in three broad categories, XF, AU and BU. There have not been enough coins graded to get into prices for MS 62, 63, 64, etc.

JK had a common date MS63 that sold tonight for around $180 which seems like a good price point for common BU coins.

Once you start adding variables for toning, strike, pl, pedigree, etc. pricing gets very tricky.

Two points,
    One, I think as momentum builds and more and more coins are graded, the market will be better defined then reliable pricing can be determined.

Two, this forum could be a good place to start with tracking price points for 8 reales if we work together and share information. I wouldn't mind sharing information as purchases are made and receiving feedback from the group.