Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

help with indian fanam

Anyone know how to attribute Indian Fanams?

I picked this one up in my early collecting days. I thought it was cool because it was so dang tiny, but I haven't been able to find any data on it... after a while I ended up stashing it away and just came across it again, recently. Decided to give its identification another go, but came up empty handed again. So I thought I would see if anyone here knew much - yeah, I'm taking the lazy way out... image

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can offer no help whatsoever in attribution, but I might be able to offer help in taking it off your hands if you wanna sell it. imageimage

PS- on a very vague level, I can tell you it's probably from somewhere between the last decade of the 1600s and the first few decades of the 1800s, but that's about all. Many seem to be late 17th/early 18th century, in my limited experience with them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Listed in "Gold Fanams 1336-2000" by Hans Herrli as a modern fabrication of a Vira Raya-Fanam.
  • Options

Interesting.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of that reference. Never heard of it. Nor did I realize there was a book devoted solely to fanams, but I guess that shouldn't surprise me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    RickeRicke Posts: 677
    really? interesting.

Does "fabrication" refer to modern fakes for commercial sale or modern restrike of some sort. I'm guessing the former. Unfortunate end to the mystery, but I do appreciate your assistance, DCH!

Still interested, LM?! image
  • Options
    LM, Book is available from Scott Semans, listed at $35.

ricke, Herrli lists both 'modern fabrications' and 'fakes'. Modern fabrications are fantasy pieces, some roughly based on real coins. Pieces listed as fakes were intended to deceive collectors.
  • Options

<< <i>Still interested, LM?! >>

As a matter o' fact, yeah, maybe. Gold is gold.

• Options
    DCH- thanks for the link.

When I say "I would love to get my hands on" a copy of that, I'm not sure I meant buying it for 35 bucks, though that's a thought.

The trouble with esoteric reference books like these is that I don't get enough fanams to need a book about them- know what I mean?

I have the Davenport Large Silver Coins book and have never owned a single multiple-thaler piece. I'd rather have the fanam book than the Davenport, I guess.