Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have resigned from ICG

Comments

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Cameron...
    Hope to see some more sample slabbed coins on your site...
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulation to you Cameron!
    I think your reasoning is just fine as well.....never fun to have your life dangled, and changed, in front of you over and over.

Best of luck (though, I think, with your skills, you won't need it) to you in your new endeavor. I must confess, and this is just my thinking, that I had always thought you would one day, soon, go back to CA and apply your skills for PCGS.

Best regards!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Competition is great for everybody, and Cameron will be welcomed with open arms. I surely just hope that Cameron knows what he's getting in to and what he's doing.

This exemplifies the fact that somebody would rather give up the security of a guaranteed paycheck than to go to work for some company with an uncertain future or for a boss who apparently cannot muster up enough courage to meet with his dissatisfied customers in person.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    tggrtggr Posts: 748
    Good luck with your new businessimage
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Congrats.

Let us know when you get up and going.
  • Options
    I had a gut feeling when you posted, and you were very firm in your wording, that you were still employed at ICG, and things were status quo, in spite of all the nonsense. You were very diplomatic about that, but I really did see a very real possibility we were going to see a thread just like this one, but I thought it would be sooner than this. You saw what was going on...you are a smart kid and you knew all along.

I agree wholeheartedly with what Ksteelheader said about you. I will say this...you have a great future, no matter WHAT path you choose, but on THIS path, this is YOUR path, man...you will do great. You have everyone's (well, here and those you have already dealt with, which is alot) faith that you know what you are doing, and you are a trusted person...not to mention, someone that is looked up to here.

I totally respect that you mentioned that you had to do it because you are a family man....you are gonna be great at both...coin dealer AND father/husband. Good luck on 3/30, as thats the first day of the rest of your new life...make the most of it, kid!!!
  • Options
    MrKelsoMrKelso Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There isnt humid months in Denver. Its a high altitude and dry. Believe me, I came from CA where it is not even as dryimage

Cameron Kiefer >>

Best of Luck to you my boy, I sent you an email on Yahoo be sure to read it and take action.

"The silver is mine and the gold is mine,' declares the LORD GOD Almighty."
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Well, well, well, Cameron is finally taking the leap; it's about time my friend. This is good news for the numismatic world. Please be sure to post a link to your website as soon as it's up (I'll assume the 30th, though you may want to think about opening it on the 29th for a private viewing from your friends here at PCGS, just a thought). I knew from a very young age that you would someday be someone in the numismatic world, I was not surprised when ICG picked you up and pleasantly surprised when you announced you were going out on your own. The passion of numismatics is in your blood and truthfully I think that will make an excellent bond in the business as you will be compassionate in regards to the collector rather than focused around making a profit.

Again, congratulations on your decision, I am sure there are plenty of people here on this site that will lend a helping hand if you ever need, though for some reason I think your going to be alright.

Your friend,
    Ray
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best of luck to you...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    CK-

If you change your mind about setting up shop, I'd be interested in talking to you.

If you stay on the self employment path, I hope you really are doing it yourself. Stay away from secret partners. It's just
    transparent nonsense. There are plenty of dealers who will partner with you above board on deals and providing additional capital
    when needed. Hook up with the right people and it will add additional credibility to your new venture.

Best of luck!

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>Cool. That means you'll be posting again and can't catch back up to me. image

Russ, NCNE >>

Dreamer. Cameron posted over 20,000 times in one year.

Congratulations Cameron, that's a huge step you are taking, GOOD LUCK !
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I am wondering what happened? Was it forced? >>

It wasnt forced at all. The owners are going to be suprised when they find out. I was tired of being told dates that we would find out when the company might move (still not even told if it will move) and then being told another date and then being told maybe in a few weeks. I have a family to take care of and can't sit each week wondering if it will be my last day to work. I had already told them I was not going to move outside of Denver.

I left on good terms and will be submitting coins to ICG on Monday.

Cameron Kiefer >>

Good luck, Cammie. You think you will get the grades you expect?image
  • Options
    It seems that you will be starting out with one heck of a good reputation, and that is important to me! I'm sure I'll be visiting your site once up. Good luck...image
    Ilikacoinsawholebuncha
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

It wasnt forced at all. The owners are going to be suprised when they find out. I was tired of being told dates that we would find out when the company might move (still not even told if it will move) and then being told another date and then being told maybe in a few weeks. I have a family to take care of and can't sit each week wondering if it will be my last day to work. I had already told them I was not going to move outside of Denver.

Cameron Kiefer >>

You had a monster buying day today it looks like.

Ken >>

A monster buying day buying what? What was so special in the market on friday?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Now that you are no longer affiliated with ICG....why use their grading service. Why not send coins to PCGS? >>

The point to this thread is he is starting a bussiness. When one is starting out they can't tie up inventory for 3 months waiting for PCGS to grade coins. ICG will have his coins grade and back to him before PCGS opens the box. >>

I don't want to get into the whole icg versus pcgs thing, but if I was going to begin dealing coins I would want pcgs coins. I would wait for pcgs slabs or sell raw ( especially since Cameron was a former grader) >>

Most modern crap is profitable no matter whose holder it is in. Why tie up stuff at PCGS for not a whole lot more money than other slabs will bring? A fast nickel beats a slow dime for many.
  • Options

<< <i>Competition is great for everybody, and Cameron will be welcomed with open arms. I surely just hope that Cameron knows what he's getting in to and what he's doing.

This exemplifies the fact that somebody would rather give up the security of a guaranteed paycheck than to go to work for some company with an uncertain future or for a boss who apparently cannot muster up enough courage to meet with his dissatisfied customers in person. >>

He wasn't working for JT any more was he?
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Cameron,

Best of luck to you and look forward to seeing you more often on the show circuit.

WH
  • Options

<< <i>

Cameron Kiefer >>

Not sure that quitting at the end of the day and with the owners yet to find out is considered as "leaving on good terms" unless they already had a pretty good idea that you would/could be leaving at any time. With one less grader won't that increase the turnaround time for your submission?
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a great move Cam.

Congrats on the baby and your new venture.

JB
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i hardly know 'ya

yet from all the responses, you are well respected...

it seems you are doing what you love

i was once told "the cream rises to the top" i have a feeling you might be as well!
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your new venture Cam.

If you have enough Darkside material, get a booth at the CICF show in Chicago next month.

If any nice German Sates of Hannover stuff passes through let me know image
  • Options
    Does being a grader and seeing what comes through the grading room give you ANY indication of what is hot in the market? If you see large submissions of Morgans come through does that give you any indication about the future/direction of Morgans?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations, Cameron. Now maybe we can finally have lunch! image

I am please to hear you will not be leaving Denver.

Check your PM for some interesting news...

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cameron Kiefer >>

Not sure that quitting at the end of the day and with the owners yet to find out is considered as "leaving on good terms" unless they already had a pretty good idea that you would/could be leaving at any time. With one less grader won't that increase the turnaround time for your submission? >>

What if you died would that be on good terms?

What I mean not to be smart there is really never a good time for both parties involved, it's always a sort of guessing game of why?

The truth to be told will never be known. He said, They said, both Cammie and ICG will be fine with the decision in a few days and the best thing is Cammy took at huge step against a business and that takes huge bongos.

Again best of luck Cammy, I would buy your coins anytime. Your Slab labels should read as follow: Cammies Graded Coins. CGC
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you the best Cameron.
    I know you will do great. Heck, you already have.
    It's been a blast watching you grow over the years.

The thing that impressed me the most about you started years ago.
    No matter you much kidding and crap got thrown, you stayed above it.
    You stayed on the positive side of things and went for the goals you had set.

Thats really hard for most young people to do. I'm sure I'll be a customer.
    Larry

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't see many coins in this thread, but there sure are a lot of alms.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    I trust you will do well in your future endeavors.

Walking liberty or winged liberty.... We have LIBERTY !!!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cameron: Best of luck to you with your new business venture!!

I'll be interested in seeing what Type Coins you will be offering. Have you also considered offering Morgan Dollars??

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Cameron.

Let's see, Cameron is from CA where it's summertime 11 months of the year.
    Mrs. Cameron is from Colorado where it's winter 11 months a year.

"Cameron" decides to stay in Colorado.image

Welcome to the beaten-down club.
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Cameron Kiefer >>

Not sure that quitting at the end of the day and with the owners yet to find out is considered as "leaving on good terms" unless they already had a pretty good idea that you would/could be leaving at any time. With one less grader won't that increase the turnaround time for your submission? >>

What if you died would that be on good terms?

What I mean not to be smart there is really never a good time for both parties involved, it's always a sort of guessing game of why?

The truth to be told will never be known. He said, They said, both Cammie and ICG will be fine with the decision in a few days and the best thing is Cammy took at huge step against a business and that takes huge bongos.

Again best of luck Cammy, I would buy your coins anytime. Your Slab labels should read as follow: Cammies Graded Coins. CGC >>

If he died it wouldn't really matter now would it. Quitting cold turkey with no notice is not my idea of leaving on good terms; maybe it is yours tho. Most of the people I know who have done that have not been happy campers with their employers.
  • Options
    JulioJulio Posts: 2,501
    Good luck. jws
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Cammy!!! In a few years you'll be buying Legand!!! image Have you applied to be a CAC dealer yet?
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you Cameron!!!image

Hope to see you at a show some time.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck. I have been a full time dealer since 1991 and have met so many fine people, plus the nature of the business requires continuous new knowlege. It is the most satisfying job I have had.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good success Cameron.

Does this mean a return to Sherriff sample?

Are you looking to get yourself involved in samples as before?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Cameron,

Congratulations on your success to date, and good luck with your new business. After my finances settle down from a new house and another new baby on the way this year I look forward to being a customer of yours. Keep us posted. image

-Allen
    Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Cammy! I suspect you'll do quite well...
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>not to be a selling thread but...I'll be listing some stuff on ebay 3/17 but the official start will be on Sunday 3/30 >>

Cammie,

If you haven't already done so, you'll need to bone up a bit. A lot has changed on eBay since the last time you were selling regularly.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on your decision...best of luck with your new endeaver.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    PLEPLE Posts: 193 ✭✭
    Ummm, while I want to wish you luck, Cameron, I am concerned that you might not be making a good decision by becoming a coin dealer.

I suspect that Internet auctions (like eBay) coupled with increasing acceptance of Third Party Grading is disintermediating the coin industry. In other words, every year I suspect that it is becoming harder for coin dealers to make money. To succeed, you will probably need to develop a specialty niche. For example, Rick Snow has done a terrific job by specializing in Indian cents. If you want to succeed as a coin dealer, I recommend that you similarly establish a personal reputation around a specific coin specialty.

Alternatively, you could enter the grading business or the sticker business. After all, we have CAC's, so why can't we have CAMS (or Kiefers)?

Just my humble opinion. Good luck!

• Options
    YaHaYaHa Posts: 4,220

<< <i>

<< <i>not to be a selling thread but...I'll be listing some stuff on ebay 3/17 but the official start will be on Sunday 3/30 >>

Cammie,

If you haven't already done so, you'll need to bone up a bit. A lot has changed on eBay since the last time you were selling regularly.

Russ, NCNE >>

Cammie you should take what Russ said, a man that has a glass of water that is still half full upright and half full upside down has me wondering still to this day why doesn't the water leak out.

Russ must be a snake charmer or something.
  • Options
    Keep us posted Cameron. Best of luck!
    Don
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Put me on your mailing list! image
  • Options
    Maybe ICG and ANACS will mergeimage I know: unlikely given the acrimony of the takeover and defections. Plus, such a merger might well be a case of the sum being less than the individual parts. Such is usually the case when two 'troubled' organizations decide to marry.
  • Options
    zeebobzeebob Posts: 2,825
    A bold step! Nothing ventured nothing gained. Congrats. Best of luck.

Bob
  • Options
    Congratulations and good luck. We all hope you do well.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    post a new pic of the daughter my man so we can slab her!image
    live each day like it's your last but don't count on it!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck to you as well! But if I ask you a question sometime later down the line that may require you to devulge some inside information concerning the grading tactics of ICG, will you answer by burying your head into the sand to ignore me the way some Heritage brass has or a former NGC grader has or an owner of a certain dealership who auctions coins has? Let me know, I can take it! image

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ummm, while I want to wish you luck, Cameron, I am concerned that you might not be making a good decision by becoming a coin dealer. >>

You needn't worry. Cammie had a strong reputation in the market before he ever became a professional grader. He is very well known, and well-connected.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file