Home Stamps Forum
Options

You know when you're still on a learning curve when...

planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
...you keep getting stamps back as "REPERFORATED." (Yeah, this 2c Panama Pacific too.)

Gaaaah! When will I learn? image

When have you learned to spot all reperfs? Or what experiences have reminded you that "much to learn you have?"

Comments

• Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Planetsteve - I am certainly learning every day (and I started professionally in 1968) so don't feel bad. The day I quit learning, I'll quit. Hopefully, you can learn fun things rather than find out that you have been burned (might I humbly suggest that getting burned with stamps is much easier than getting burned with covers).

Unfortunately with stamps these days there are no hometown stamp dealers who can serve as mentors and teach the examination of stamps. Most stamp clubs don't have people with the requisite skills either. Maybe somebody will do some teaching videos on the basics. Till then, be thankful we have expert groups available.

Regarding reperfs specifically, I suggest a first step is to compare the patient stamp with a used low value of same series (less likely to be re-perfed) and try lining up the perforations to see if the fit matches the patient. Also, with photoshop you can check scan to see if top matches bottom, etc by masking one side and moving to test alignment. Obviously this doesn't work with stamps re-perfored all around, fake coils, etc.
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I have gotten 2 back from PSE that were called as reperforated. Some reperf jobs are really good and tough to tell. I think some of the calls can be iffy and some may even be incorrect, but thats what you get with a cert, an "opinion."
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    I spent 27 years working at Apfelbaums Auctions....I learned how to tell reperfing without being allowed to mention it in the stamp description.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    coverscovers Posts: 624
    Lou - I was there in 1968 when Earl would let me describe what I saw. The day Martin took over, I quit. When were you there?
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    I started in retail in Oct 1979, went up through the ranks and quit as VP-Operations in August 2006. What a group of people.

Lou
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    "What a group of people."

Meaning good or feelings of good are just not present.
  • Options
    lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for the responses. Richard, the idea about Photoshop sounds interesting -- I'll have to give it a try.

I have been surprised that the two I have got back were, frankly, pretty inexpensive stamps. I do see that the perf holes are too perfect on the suspect sides; they all appear identical and consistent in shape, unlike the other sides.
  • Options
    And there is so much more to identification of reperforation too, it can be such a real headache.