Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I joined the revolution (against Ebay) my first CoinZip purchase!

Here's my first purchase on CoinZip.com....I've always enjoyed the design and theme of this commemorative.

I do have one question though, it is stated in the listing that there is a carbon spot on the horses' neck. Does

PCGS offer a service to remove it? Will it grow unless treated? How does it effect value if at all?

What caused it in the first place? Options?

This doesn't detract from the coin to my eye, but I was just curious what the more experienced here would interject.

No matter what, I love this coin and am glad I found it on this new "free" coin auction site. Thanks Mr. Beeson if you are

a member of these forums. I can't wait to see it!
....and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make....

The Beatles

Comments

• Options
    I don't think you can remove a carbon spot, without hurting the coin. That's just the way it is. Copper is the worst. I've even seen nice nickels, develope these spots.
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • Options
    I have already won a number of coins on coinzip...from 4 or 5 different sellers...

All went smoothly... the system still needs a few tweaks...not really set up to handle "snipes", which can be viewed as good or bad, depending on who you are...

The search is still a bit flawed...I still haven't quite figured out how to look at the archives (are there archives?)

With no direct link to a "check-out", one has to wait for an email from seller to arrange payment...yet, as I said above, all has gone smoothly so far...

I'm getting ready to list some items there and will continue to bid on items...

As of right now, most listings are starting at higher levels...at least on the higher end stuff...as there are still only a few bidders and very few, if any, bidding wars going on...

Just like with a new coin show or any new enterprise...it will take a while for this site to catch on... but i think it has the "right stuff"...

...and I'm glad...'cause ebay has far outlived it's usefullness, as far as I'm concerned...(there are many other things i wanted to say about ebay...but I don't wish to offend, get this thread nuked or get myself booted off the forum)

BTW...I am at work and can't see the pics the OP posted...but congrats on your newp!!!image
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    Yes, had to wait for e-mail from seller, but he was very prompt, gave me his paypal ID for payment, and the transaction is going smoothly

thus far. Looking forward as I said before to seeing in hand. I'm hoping they develop the site a little bit more for ease of browsing and

checkout, but it's a good start, and a good way to save a little on "costs" to do business since both buying and listing are free! Some of

the sellers however are still listing at very high prices as if they are still selling on Ebay and need to factor in their "costs". Sellers will have

to adjust their thinking a bit so more buyers will visit the site and support it. There are possibilities on CoinZip though....image

The Beatles
  • Options
    "The search is still a bit flawed...I still haven't quite figured out how to look at the archives (are there archives?)"

Yes there are archives, using Advanced Search you can look at completed items.

If you ever have questions, you can call me 301-876-4849. I answer my phone, if I'm on the phone with someone else when you call, leave a message with your name an phone number, I return EVERY call.....

Here is a search for Bust Half completed.

Alan
  • Options
    luckyman glad to hear the transaction went well, I signed up for CoinZip today and I hope to post a few auctions in the next week or so.

I've got some stuff that I need to clear out and it hasn't garnered much interest on the BST, so I'll try CoinZip and see how it goes.

For those who have used eBay for quite a while, don't forget that they didn't have much when they started and a lot of the automated functions took a while to get going. I used to have a program that sent E-Mails to my auction winners before eBay automated that, so give it time, I'm sure that some cool stuff will be added as the popularity of the site grows.

One suggestion that I would give is to add the Message Boards to the list of "where did you hear about CoinZip" options!
    I'd keep playing. I don't think the heavy stuff will be coming down for quite a while!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are any of the items there actually auctions?
    Everything i have looked at, which, admittedly, is probably just a dozen or two over the weeks, has been set pretty high and, when sold, has only had "1 bid".

I see nothing starting at $0.99, $1, $10, etc....things to actually get people BIDDING and in a BIDDING WAR. Of course, if people aren't using the site, doing so may cause one to lose their pants.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    I like the Stone Mountain Commemorative. That looks like toning on the neck to me.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    Thank you Mr. Shelley for that optimistic appraisal of the spot. Can't wait to see it in hand. Think we could get you to write

a sonnet dedicated to the coin world? Ode to Numismatics? Thanks for your consideration...I know you can do it....after all

of these years of lying low....by the way, how's Elizabeth? E.B.B. that is.....image

The Beatles
  • Options

<< <i>Are any of the items there actually auctions?
    Everything i have looked at, which, admittedly, is probably just a dozen or two over the weeks, has been set pretty high and, when sold, has only had "1 bid".

I see nothing starting at $0.99, $1, $10, etc....things to actually get people BIDDING and in a BIDDING WAR. Of course, if people aren't using the site, doing so may cause one to lose their pants. >>

• Options
    I also agree that there isn't really yet an auction feel to the website. I used "buy it now" for a very reasonable price. As I stated

before, there seems to be some overpricing on most of the listings, due to the fact sellers are used to "hiding" costs that they are used

to paying on the bay. Once sellers settle down, and the website gains popularity, the auction format will emerge. Right now, as a seller,

I would try to set a reasonable "buy it now" price so I can move my inventory. As a buyer, I will be looking for those bargains as I always

do, staying within my humble budget. The idea right now is to help build this website into a real competitor with ebay when it comes

to coins. Pass the word, engage in business, and let's help make a statement to Goliath. (by the way, I have no vested interest in this

company, CoinZip.com, I just like underdogs) image

The Beatles
  • Options
    I keep hearing coinzip this and coinzip that.... I may have to venture over there and check it out1!!! I got burned 2x really fast on ebay when I first started collecting. I have grown addicted to our little BST over here. I think I will venture over there and check it out though... Seems to be getting fairly good feedback here on this site...
  • Options

I see nothing starting at $0.99, $1, $10, etc....things to actually get people BIDDING and in a BIDDING WAR. Of course, if people aren't using the site, doing so may cause one to lose their pants. >>

Bochiman,

I did a search for items listed under 9.99 (beware this link is not inteded for dial up connections)
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bochiman,

I did a search for items listed under 9.99 (beware this link is not inteded for dial up connections) >>

Much of that stuff is not quite worth what is being asked. Granted if you are looking for a particular item it sure beats the price of driving somewhere to find it at these prices.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Luckyman
    Congrats on your purchase. I have always liked that design myself.

Once you get the coin in hand, check for a doubled die obverse and/or a doubled die reverse. They are kinda cool too - and many are in holders without the designation.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Nice pick up and after seeing your post I Just registered will look some more this weekend but I already saw a couple nice coins i'm interested in.
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options

<< <i>Luckyman
    Congrats on your purchase. I have always liked that design myself.

Once you get the coin in hand, check for a doubled die obverse and/or a doubled die reverse. They are kinda cool too - and many are in holders without the designation. >>

Thanks for that info, that's what I love about these boards always learning something new and now i'll check the ones I haveimage
    Support your local gunslinger, you never know when you'll need him
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Hope to see Coinzip grow!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Bochiman,

I did a search for items listed under 9.99 (beware this link is not inteded for dial up connections) >>

Thanks Alan,

Looking at it now. I hadn't done a search as I had only followed links to specific items from the BST or looked in a few areas that I was interested in....and saw the high start prices (not saying anything is wrong with that...I just don't consider it "an auction").

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the blank post. My editor still won't work.

I'm joining the revolution too. I'm starting to list there. (Moderns so don't bother to look for my auctions over there unless that's what you're looking for). I'm listing most things as BIN.

Jerry
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I currently have no more listings on CoinZip, but that doesn't mean I won't consider doing more later on. FREE is a pretty good price.

I did run a couple of true auctions there.

As a Darksider, I would like to see some more foreign bidders paying attention to it. A lot of the stuff I sell ends up going back to its home country, and eBay's global spread means more potential bidding.

I'll be keeping an eye on CoinZip, though, perhaps more as a bidder than as a seller in the near future, but I might put up some auctions again one day.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file