Home PSA Set Registry Forum

You Don't Have The Finest Registered Set

I am not trying to compete with Erik Jarvi, Frank Bakka, Carlos Aponte or Neil Downey on the 72 Cards. It's just that I've been adding to a set, I have a place to post it and if it moves up the ladder over time, fine.

Who hasn't?

I've been checking ebay to see who has been bidding on the 8's and the 9's, and doesn't seem to be the big five, but individuals and dealers.

In an earlier post about "big guns," do these people just buy out PSA graded cards or have they been purcashing all along and just upload at a later time?

The PSA Registry should say, "All time PSA Registered Set," since better cards may be out there.

I'd like to know how many people are registered as members of the PSA Email (forums) section.

I'm rambling, but at 44, I can. I ride on the short bus, am a window licker, and miss gum in baseball card packs, even though the teeth can't take it.

Dale

1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Basic - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1981 Baseball Fleer Master - Retired
1st Finest Set - 1955 Baseball Golden Stamps - Cleveland Indians - Retired
1st Finest Set - Mel Harder Baseball Master - Active
Mel Harder Showcase Set - Active
#15 on Current Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired
#23 on All Time Set Registry - 1972 Topps Baseball - Retired

Comments

• qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    DALE, there are a whole slew of set collectors who would rather be anonymous. Perhaps they do not want to draw attention to themselves, perhaps they do not want to alert other bidders when a card they need is auctioned or perhaps assembling a set is their own thing, no need to transfer serial #'s.

One of the many sets I am working on is the 1968 Baseball in PSA-8 & 9's. Currently I am #1 on the registry with almost 60% completed about 275 PSA-8's and 75 PSA-9's. Since I have upgraded and have many duplicates available. I brought my many duplicates (about 100) to the Ft. Washington (Philly) show last month when I set up as a dealer. A passer by spotted the large stacks of '68's and pulled out his list, he saw that I had some 9's on top and needed to upgrade his set since he said he had about 40 8's that needed a boost, plus a small handful that he needed at least an 8. So I remarked, Wow! you have 40 8's and almost 550 9's!!! He said no, I have over 400 9's and almost 100 PSA-10's incl. Mantle. Amazed at his accumulation of PSA-10's (I have zero in that set). I asked why isn't he on the Registry, his response was, "the fewer people who know what his collection consists of the better". I had nothing that he needed, and after he walked away, a fellow dealer stated that he was legit and flew from California to PA to pick up cards he might need for this and other sets. - Now if this gentleman was to register his set, his #'s would be off the chart.

And I agree with you DALE that I didn't register my set for bragging rights and I'm only interested in completing and upgrading my set as I see fit. But in actuallity there are less then 600 sets that have been registered (& several where the collector has just 1 or 2 cards listed) and thats out of all the sports that PSA has made available. So you can imagine several hundred if not thousands that are kep quiet...jay
  • Jay, that's a very interesting story. Why do you suppose that he and others like him don't just register their sets with the Registry, and in doing so elect not to show the cards and grades they have? This way they would have an offical record of the cards, get some recognition, have more fun, and at the same time preserve the "integrity" of their sets.

• I must say I have sold cards to several collectors who either don't have the time, computer access, or bother to put up their set on the registry...one of which has his 63 set complete in 8, with over 50 9s.

Steve P
  • mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Z> From what I understand of the people building the 68 set in graded form, they are even more insane (as a group) than those of us doing a 72 set. From what I understand, there are all-out, no-holds-barred bidding wars on low-pop PSA9 commons. Remember the $400+ PSA9 commons we saw on eBay back in the fall? I would imagine that in the case of these people who are taking a cost-no-object approach that anonymity would have some benefits.

Another example is with my 1975 set. . .I really didn't get serious about this set until this past SportsFest. At that point, I picked up 100 or so commons from vending and I picked up a PSA8 Carter RC at the show - and that was the first graded 75 I'd picked up. By the end of this coming week, I'll be right at 35% complete all PSA8 or better and move back to #1 on the rankings. However. . .I know there are at least two other people building graded 75T sets who are ahead of me (in both completion and grade) who have not yet put their sets on the registry - and may never do it. So while I may be listed at #1 or #2 on the registry it doesn't mean I have the best 75 set. . .just the best 75 set among those who have registered. And also. . .the set registry uses PSA's definition of "best" - at least for the weighted sets. There are lots of ways to define "best" so that factors into it as well.

Jay> I just pulled up the pop report. . .there are a total of 406 PSA10s from 68. . .and they are spread among 148 different cards (by my count). 100 different PSA10s would be most impressive indeed.

Dale> I've always said if you're building your set for "bragging rights" or competition, then you're probably doing it for the wrong reasons. Your set should be for you. If other people enjoy it or are impressed by it, then well fine. . .but the most important thing is that YOU enjoy it.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    qualitycards,

I just read your message about the phantom '68 collector who supposedly has 400 - 9's and nearly 100 - 10's and is from California. I wonder if this being confused with someone who's from the Northeast, because I know of another collector who's building a '68 set that has about the same numbers. It would be hard for me to believe that there are two people with those kinds of sets - especially getting that many unique 10's.
  • Mike - I understand what you're driving at, but it seems to me that those collectors who bid top varghabucks for low pop cards can still register their sets and remain relatively anonymous at the same time.

For example let's say that the collector that Jay mentioned registers his set, and he registers it under the name of "Mr. Smith". He then decides to elect NOT to show his e-mail address, his cards, and the cards grades. How could the competiton use that to their advantage? The most they would be able to figure out is that "Joecardguy" on Ebay has registered his set and the set has a rating of "8.50". They could reasonably guess this over time as Joecardguy keeps winning important cards, and Mr. Smith's GPA keeps going up shortly thereafter. So they put two and two together.

There's no harm to the collector in question from what I can see.
    The only reason I can come up with other than someone just not being interested or doesn't have computer access as Doc pointed out, would be that they simply don't want anyone to know just how far advanced their set is. I'm not sure why someone would feel this way unless they feared getting robbed or something.

Anyway, we had a thread on the advantages versus the disadvantages of the Registry several months back (I'm sure you were part of it), and we pretty much concluded that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. So it continues to baffle me why people hesitate to register their sets.

• Dude,

Qualitycards has to be referring to the "King" of 1968 in the northeast! This "disquise" being used of him being from California is obviously a reference towards the PSA 10 champion of the world (with whom the collector in the Northeast has not had positive encounters with). In addition, no way does the California hobbyist have 400+ PSA 9 along with his extraordinary PSA 10s.

Nevertheless, qualitycards is certainly on the money in that there are wonderful and definitely more superior sets than what is being shown on the registry. It is too bad that these collections are not being showcased with at least aliases. It would be a treat to see them.

Ron
    Ron Sanders Jr.
    All I know, "Mr '68" was a distinguished looking man in perhaps his early '60's, and perhaps he told me he was from California and the dealer who overheard said he was legit. And maybe California was stated so his true identity would not be revealed. And yes I would hate to think there are more then 1 of these top brow collectors in the '68's. 1972's I wouldn't mind, the more the merrier, but '68's are hard enough for me to compete with 8's and 9's. The gentleman also said he had almost 100 PSA-10's, that could translate into 60 to 99! Also keep in mind, many who brag about their sets tend to add some spice to their story. I didn't see him with any cards, just a beat-up list in different color inks to designate what he had based on grade. I was skeptical of him from the start (that was an impressive - possibly far-fetched set that he mentioned)until the dealer stated he was on the up & up.

And "Z" to answer your 1st question, why doesn't he (or many others) register their set without showing grades or cards. Perhaps these are an eccentric bunch that wants to keep a low profile, perhaps they are paranoid thinking a thief would have access to his whereabouts. Or perhaps they think PSA would turn over the results to the IRS, who knows? - I think the registry is great, I have 4 sets registered with 2 or 3 more that I'm working on to build up the #'s...jay
    Jay> Since you brought up the 72 set. . .I'll put out a theory about this. . .I think the dynamic between the 68 set is very different from that of the 72 set (for example). So far there have been 32,748 total submissions of 68T. I don't even want to guess how many more submittable 68s there are out there, but however many it is I'm pretty certain it's a lot less than are remaining for the 72 set which only has had half as many cards submitted (16,783) so far. With the 72 set, I don't feel any pressure to dramatically overpay for any card because I have confidence that there are plenty of nice ungraded examples still out there. While I understand the concept of wanting the best available of any given card, do the uber-68 collectors not feel like there are ungraded examples out there just waiting to find their way into a PSA9 (or 10) holder?

At what point does a collector feel like there are so few remaining ungraded cards worthy of submission that they feel they are forced into a "whatever it takes" attitude for the low-pop stuff that's out there? Vargha, have you run into this with your Bowman set?

Mike
    Mike, I agree with you, there are many nice raw '60's & 70's cards out there. When the grading bug hit a few years ago, anyone with a nice '68 set would have the Ryan & Bench rc's graded as well as the superstars Mantle, Aaron, Mays & Clemente and even the other HOF'ers, but few would send $8.00 + shipping to grade a $1.00 Jack Fischer. The 50's scenerio is a bit different since many 8's can bring in $40.00 or more. And yes its true that the '68's pop double that of the '72's, but wait 4 years and I'm sure the #'s will catch up a bit. Especially with the loyal following that the '72 set has. Thats why I mentioned tongue in cheek that the big money collectors should invade the '72's, since its not a set that I am working on , right now! Looking foward to viewing your '72 Topps website in a few weeks...jay
    qualitycards,

The person with the awesome '68 set is in his mid-60s, so it sounds like this was him. I think his numbers are padded a bit and he is from the Northeast and not California, but he does have a set that will go off the scale on the registry. I've sold him a significant portion of his set. Since he always asks confidentiality on his transactions, I'm sure that the California bit was a red herring. Some people are pretty paranoid about letting other people know about their collections. I'm sure some of it is the fear of being robbed. I've never met him in person. I hope to one of these days. He's a first class guy.
  • VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Mike -- That certainly has become my attitude with PSA 9's in the 1951 Bowman set. There are currently about 350 in existence, but amazingly enough about 10% of that has come in the last year. PSA 8's come in dribs and drabs as well. I have my limits on certain cards (and lost out on them in the MastroNet auctions last Fall) even though I have raised the amounts I will pay as I have gotten a truer picture of the scarcity. On my 1951 set, I only need 12 cards in PSA 8 or better. Two of them will be extremely difficult to come by. Two of them (Mays and Mantle) are simply a function of about $9,000 and $20,000 respectively. The others are scarce but obtainable. Patience, diligence and money are the keys. I actually was able to fill two of my PSA 8 holes (Jensen rookie high number and Seminick low number) when Charles Merkel e-mailed me with a message saying that he had duplicates I might be interested in. He was a very pleasant person to deal with. Many of the PSA dealers such as Jay (Quality Cards) have been extremely helpful as well.
  • mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Though some may have agreed here that the advantages of registering a set outweighed the disadvantages, many have not made the same conclusion.

The two most common things I have seen:

a) A majority of people actively working on sets do not want their sets registered because of the protection it serves. Many set collectors strike a fine balance between anonymonity and "famousness" for their respective sets. By not registered, they remain fairly anonymous. For example, with 1968, it seems like I could name over 5 people that are over half done, but not on the registry.

b) Some people have amazing sets that they are not putting together toward the registry. I think of someone with high-grade 1950s sets with all the stars graded 8 and 9 with nothing else graded. Since he is not pursuing those sets in graded form, they sit comfortably in a vault...

For too many of us, the thoughts of having a set registered before we are complete with them is nothing short of blasphemy.

For some of us, it is an amazing feeling to have contacts throughout the baseball world, dealers and collectors that we talk with monthly, weekly, and some every day, yet we can go to a baseball card show, ask questions (sometimes to the very dealers whom we know) and yet pass by as a random, anonymous collector.

As a 25-year old, I enjoy being unrecognized. I enjoy dressing down at shows so no one would consider me a serious player. I enjoy having some cards that I know would make great additions to other's sets or player collections. And I enjoy the fact that I could just as easily disappear from the scene for 3-5 years to pursue other ambitions, and not many would know the difference.

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
    Gee . . . I'm 40 and I doubt anyone knows who I am (face to face). I guess I am a "serious player", but not in the money aspect of it (à la Merkel, Branca, etc.). I spend a decent amount but closely track down the stuff I collect and have built a few nice sets in the process.
  • FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I get the impression that most of the folks who don't register do so for several reasons. First and foremost is security. The second is usually because the more familiar people become with you and your set, the more you wind up socializing - and some folks aren't real comfortable with that. (heck - sometimes we're not either!!!). And, I also had someone mention that they would never post a graded set until they hit 75%.

But, unless you're capturing all of the cert numbers and keeping a record of your collection just in case of theft - the set registry is a great place to keep track for you. If you posted under an alias - didn't allow anyone access to your individual cards - and held off loading new acquisitions for a couple of weeks - no one could track you down unless you blabbed it yourself.

You also mentioned that most of the 72 bidding on eBay is not from the usual suspects - you're probably correct. You might find Erik, Andy Montero and I going for the occasional 9 and Carlos and Neil going for some 8's. But, for the most part, its cheaper to send in to PSA ourselves.

And Dale - if you're building your set without regard to anyone else - then you've got it right. Its not to say that Erik, Neil and Mike to razz each other now and then - thats half the fun - but we also buy, sell and trade with each other all of the time.

Good luck on your set!

Frank Bakka

1968, 1969, 1970
    and a pretty nice 72 set
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Mikeschmidt, you're only 25 years old? image You're just a punk kid. image Actually your "card smarts" to age ratio is the best on the board. image
    I think another major reason people don't list their sets is that they don't want to be targeted for inflated bidding by rival collectors or shills who know they need certain cards. I observed that recently when one registered collector was down to his last dozen cards, and one of the guys on the bottom of the registry ranking went way out of character and placed real high proxy bids on those cards when they showed up on eBay and made the top ranked guy pay top dollar. It was totally classless.
    Mikeschmidt,

How enviable to be a sophisticated collector and only be 25. Just think of what kind of collection you will have in 40 years. It should be amazing. In case you are wondering, I just turned 43 today.

Vargha,

On this subject of finest collections, I've been told by a very reliable source that the "Price-Is-No-Object-1968-Collector" has now started working on a 1951 Bowman set. You have my deepest condolences.
    Dude> Happy birthday man!!!

Mike
    Dude -- As much as the joking goes about "varghabucks" (I probably qualify as "upper middle class, demographically), I have got to be the bottom of the totem pole financially on the 1951 Bowman set collectors. Thank goodness I have gotten a good start on this.
  • Dude - Happy birthday. I hope it was a good one.

I am the same age as schmidty (just a punk kid) but his knowledge far surpasses mine. I knew he was around my age because he had previously spoken about collecting as a kid and it was the same years that I collected.

Vargha - I hope you don't get too ticked at me for starting the "varghabucks" thing. You've been a good sport about it and it's just that the rest of us wish we had the dough that you have to spend on cards image
    "We don't own these cards, we just hold them for awhile." -- Jay of Quality Cards
  • Dude,

Happy Birthday!

Sky
    "Some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing"

"Give me a reason to fly, and I'll be there"
  • First of all, Varghabucks are NOT a joke. They are serious currency.

Secondly I think if "Mikeschmidt" is only 25 he will become a seriously dangerous force in this hobby. How much does his rookie card go for anyway (the board member, not the player)?

Third (and most importantly) - Happy "B" Day Dude! image
    I thought it was Marc (mikeschmidt) who started it. I think it's pretty funny though. I am one of the resident smart-asses, myself so I better be able to take the kidding.

Blatant typo . . .
    Dude:

Happy 43rd Birthday! With babe (and baby) in arms -- you've got the best collectino of all.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • aconteaconte Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Dude!

I guess I'm sort of in the middle here at 36 years old!

aconte
    Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts.
  • "mikeschmidt" is only 25! great, im not the only young person here that collects vintage psa sets (im 28). ive always collected vintage, even as a kid i had t206's at age 10. most people our age are into the gold foil, die cut, game worn junk that they put out today. and "dude" i dont really know you but happy birthday!
  • << "mikeschmidt" is only 25! great, im not the only young person here that collects vintage psa sets (im 28). ive always collected vintage, even as a kid i had t206's at age 10. >>

Count me in as another young person who collects vintage psa sets.

Rambling...

I recall the first time I spoke to MS about age - I was under the impression he was a much older man (that was some 2 years ago). Same applied to Dave Forman, I thought he was much older as well.

Happy Belated Birthday Dude!
  • << For example let's say that the collector that Jay mentioned registers his set, and he registers it under the name of "Mr. Smith". He then decides to elect NOT to show his e-mail address, his cards, and the cards grades. How could the competiton use that to their advantage? >>

Z,

Information usually finds a way to leak and I think it is vital for serious set builders to keep as much information in private as possible. Anonymity is their best ally. Let's face it, when people know what you want - you stand more of a chance to getting "worked". I have a vintage set-builders list of cards that he seeks and when I frequent the Rosemont, IL shows I am on the lookout. And I treat this as a "noc list" of sorts so it won't get out in the open.
  • i agree with vorthian 100% that if your serious about building sets its better to keep a low profile. thats why i wont register my sets until there complete and even then i dont think ill show the grades.
  • Vorthian - I understand what you're saying, but if a collector does not show his grades in the Registry and keeps a low profile in the collecting world, how is anyone able to determine what cards that collector needs and will ultimately bid on?

The only obvious examples I can think of are if there is a one of one card available at auction or if there's a one of two card, and you're already the owner of one of those two cards (in the latter example you will know that the collector in question needs the remaining card because you have one of them). Sure those scenarios could set a collector up for getting "worked" as you put it, but what other examples are there given the above picture?
    Z-

Unfortunately, it is mainly the high $$$, low population cards that dealers can track well enough to know who to work and how much they can work them for.

The dealers have a vast and tight network knowing who pays what for certain cards. Mantle is the best example. I would bet a lot of money that most connected dealers could place a majority of the 1950s Mickey Mantle PSA 9 cards, as well as nearly all of the Mickey Mantle PSA 10 cards. Furthermore, they know who needs what, etc.

It usually works best with cards that hit the thousand(s) of dollars. Otherwise, it is not always worth it for dealers to put in the legwork to track this sort of information.

Just to play devil's advocate for a second, if I may: Given the prices paid on Ebay and in many of the public auction houses, if I had tracked such information over the last 18 months, do you think I could tell you:

a) Bidding patterns/amounts on the 1964 Topps Giant and 1970 Kelloggs sets?
    b) Which cards have been purchased in 10, by whom, and when?
    c) Which cards are still needed?
    d) Can I track bidding patterns to see if you have any alliances?

That is just with public information. If I take that a step further and track down things like:
    a) Who competes with you in bidding?
    b) Can I ask questions of collecting friends to see where other 9s/10s have gone? (answer: yes)
    c) Can I ask dealer friends if they have any contacts for certain cards? (e.g. offer them my 1964 Topps Giant Warren Spahn PSA 10 (doesnt' exist) and see what they will pay/if they can turn it)

Just playing devil's advocate. But there is certainly a lot of information out there. Much of it is public. Much of it can be had by asking the right people the right questions. And much of it cannot be hidden very well by a second Ebay userid.

Best of luck!
  • Mikeschmidt, you make a lot of excellent points as usual.image Let me reference your questions below, and I will try to answer them:

a) Bidding patterns/amounts on the 1964 Topps Giant and 1970 Kelloggs sets?
    b) Which cards have been purchased in 10, by whom, and when?
    c) Which cards are still needed?
    d) Can I track bidding patterns to see if you have any alliances?

a) Yes of course. I know these figures myself and others know them for the sets they follow.
    b) Yes, as long as it's on Ebay. Auction houses like Superior and Mastro aren't going to give you this information (I would certainly hope). On private purchases you may be able to get this information if you have an "in" with the seller.
    c) Not necessarily. Disprove my example above or give me examples of how one can obtain the information. Sure, in your Spahn example, it's a one of one PSA 10 so if you can find the owner then you would automatically know who doesn't have it.
    d) Yes, of course. A little detective work often yields results.

It's an interesting topic as usual. I still haven't heard any compelling reasons against listing your set, not showing the grades, and keeping a low profile (ie not blabbing to people what you have, what you need, etc...)
  • << I understand what you're saying, but if a collector does not show his grades in the Registry and keeps a low profile in the collecting world, how is anyone able to determine what cards that collector needs and will ultimately bid on? >>

Z - a few things...

-You defined "low profile" as not blabbing to others and I contend that that is not "low profile" enough. Extra measures need to be taken for it to be classified as "low profile" because the mere omission of blabbing doesn't equal full or little anonymity.

- "Information usually finds a way to leak..." Now ponder that coupled with what MS wrote and take it a step further. That will answer your c). Can you prove to me that information doesn't leak?

-Just curious, Z, how many large shows do you attend a year?
  • Vorthian, I didn't "define" low profile as solely not babbling to others about one's cards and needs. That was only one example. Did you notice that I used "etc..." at the end of my sentence? I was implying that there are other things one should do and shouldn't do to maintain some degree of privacy. I agree with you that other measures should be taken. I just didn't list them all.

You asked me if I can prove that information doesn't leak. I never suggested that information doesn't leak so why should I try to prove something that can't be proven? In fact I gave an example of information leaking in my response to Mikeschmidt when I wrote that "On private purchases you may be able to get this information if you have an 'in' with the seller." (See response letter "b" to Mikeschmidt). Of course there are many other ways information can leak.

I don't go to many large shows, but I realize that there is a great deal of information sharing at shows.
    I have amassed a pretty decent 1951 Bowman set. I guess that I am on the "radar screen" because of my set being in the Registry as well as my musings on this board. There are a handful of dealers who recognize my name and some who "know" me because of Internet and phone conversations. I have been to the Anaheim National and one Hollywood Park show in the last two years (none for 20 years previous). However, I would hardly consider myself to be "high-profile" . . . paranoid maybe, but not high-profile.
  • << I agree with you that other measures should be taken. I just didn't list them all. >>

You're right and I apologize - I was careless.

<< In fact I gave an example of information leaking in my response to Mikeschmidt when I wrote that >>

Yes, but it was contingent upon having that "in". We are going to disagree on this but my contention this whole time is that "Information leaks" so no matter how cautious one thinks they are, there still has to be extra measures taken. This is precisely why you will never see my serious sets on the set registry until they are completed - knowing full well I could list them w/o people knowing the cards and with an alias.

• Vorthian, actually we agree more than we both think. I agree with you to wait until one's sets are 100% complete before listing them with the Registry. That's exactly what I did. I do some upgrading, and there are some risks associated with that, but I never show my grades so I deflect some of that risk.

I also agree with you that there are information leaks and that extra measures can help. Maybe where we disagree is that for me the advantages of the Registry outweigh the disadvantages so I'm comfortable registering completely graded sets and not showing the grades. I take certain defensive measures, buy from different sources and do quite a bit of my own submissions. For me I'm happy with the way I'm doing things. Is it perfect? Definetely not, but I'm comfortable with it.

• << For me I'm happy with the way I'm doing things. Is it perfect? Definetely not, but I'm comfortable with it. >>

As long as you are happy, that's all that matters. As for extra measures - I do hope that you have more than one eBay name.