Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

a grade set by series

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay... I imagine this has been asked before, but how many do or would consider collecting a coin series by grade and where one starts and ends depends on the series? For example, a Morgan series starting with a PO1 and ending in 67 seems quite possible...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    I had considered it, because I wanted to try something different, but abandoned the idea. I just wasn't that interested in doing something like this.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    If you don't care about date and the only requirement is grade, I have considered this several times. It's kinda fun to see the different stages of wear.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I'm working on it in Morgan dollars, although I don't collect Morgan dollars. Most of mine are 1879-S, but they are hard to find in mid-grades. I have about 2/3 of them from PO-01 through MS-66.

I'd love to do it in Proof Bust dollars and then by die state in the same. image

Tom

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it would be a really fun set to complete. If you could make it all of one date it would be a masterpiece.
  • Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm actually doing this with an 1883 No Cents Lib Nickel set. I have no idea why I'm doing it. I have three or four of the low grades to get and I also need an accurately graded MS67. I'll probably never complete it. Tom here in the office thinks I'm nuts. I think he might be right.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    You mean the oldest coin being a PO1 and the newest being the best grade that you can afford? Seems interesting. I agree, would be a good way to show the different grades.

Ray
  • Options
    I'm currently working on a circulated 1893 Columbian set. I have 1-2-3-4-30-45-50-55-58 I also have the 1-2-3-4 in the Monroe and the Lafayette dollars. The Lafayette could get expensive if I were to follow through with it.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One problem with a 'grade set' is that not all grades are set by one consideration (e.g., wear). Many coins are silently net graded as a result of other factors. From about AU50 and up to about MS66, each grade can be represented by multiple coins (featuring different combinations of wear, luster, fullness of strike, marks,...).
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    Ikes provide an excellent opportunity to collect not only a grade set but, an expanded collection in which I could get caught up, a grade set in defined spreads of die state.

When (not if) die state catches the attention of collectors, die state could become an additional factor in valuations as earlier die states are not only more attractive in many cases, they are in the first ten percent of die life and thus scarce. Rob
    Modern dollars are like children - before you know it they'll be all grown up.....

Questions about Ikes? Go to The IKE GROUP WEB SITE
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Started a 1921 Peace $1 set, got about 3/4 of the way from PO01 to MS64 and just kinda lost interest in VG grades and low-end AU's...tough for me to grade and got too many dups I didn't need (plus the MS65 and above are expensive if one really wants to finish out a set). Was a learning experience though.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    There is currently a group of 1893-S Morgan Dollars set to auction at the Heritage Central States sale that follows this model (but stop at AU)
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did that back in 79-80 with Morgans to show customers what it took to get paid for the grades.

Of course that was when a lot of big mail order houses were buying circ Morgans by grade.
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it works better if you pick a single date, especially if you are doing Morgan Dollars. One has to take into consideration the New Orleans mint coins that will undoubtedly subdue the educational value of the set if one were to go with the mixed date/MM route. I would pick a date with consistent strike, such as the 80-82S since those are a dime a dozen and easy to cherrypick the nicest strike out of. Now a grading set of those and an equivalent set of say 84O's with average strike would be cool to look at side by side!
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree - pick one date and try it. It will be more challenging then one would first think. For a common date for instance, You may acquire all the MS grades before you find a vg-10 as they may be too low a grade to be sent in for grading. Who would send in a vg or f 1881-s for grading? I would go with a fairly common CC date like 1882-1883 or 1884. These are probably available at reasonable cost in all grades and would be easy to sell when the time to sell them came.

Bob
  • Options
    You might want to check the pop charts before you pick a date and see what might be available before you start.
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    you mean something like this
    palmer
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭

<< <i>you mean something like this
    image >>

Are you waiting to post your 1, 2, 3, 45, 50, 53, 55, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ,65, 66 and 67? image
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    SenexSenex Posts: 483
    I did this in a limited way with 1942 Canada tombac nickels, putting together an ICCS graded set in MS60-MS65.
    Still on the lookout for MS66 and higher but they are scarce (and expensive!)
  • Options
    rxerrxer Posts: 280 ✭✭
    have to wait for my money tree to mature before that happens,---
    oil well dried up and the gold mine didn't pan out and I certainly didn't marry
    for money- may take a while to fill in the holes of the set.
    palmer
  • Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ikes provide an excellent opportunity to collect not only a grade set but, an expanded collection in which I could get caught up, a grade set in defined spreads of die state. >>

I would think Ike's would be difficult as it seems grades below AU are tough to find.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sort of interesting seeing a thread like this again...

I still think it makes sense on several levels as it captures the series in many different states of perservation. Further, some keys are obviously more affordable in a lower grade which makes the goal of completing the set viable.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold last year my 1922 Weak D grade set. It was fun to collect.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Here's my 78CC seated dime grading set 78CC Seated Dime Grading set
    You can also go to the set registry, then go to collector showcase, and then go to grading sets. Several folks have different grading sets listed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file