Home Metal Detecting
Options

Trip to the TB sanitarium finally yeilded some coins! :) (Updated, with pics)

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
I had to go back! I couldn't leave without going twice without as much as a Zincoln. Before anyone gets too excited, I only found two coins, but it was more than enough for me to have faith in my detector again.

Finds:

2006 D Dime
1998 D Quarter. <---correction, an 1988!

Both of them were *screaming* high tones on the detector, and were easy to find-- the quarter just plopped out. The dime was actually in the ground but shiny enough to make me think I had found silver. Ahwell. image My CZ-3D did have a moment when it was acting really funny-- as if there was metal *everywhere* I swept. I shut it off, did another ground balance and it cleared up the problem.

There's nothing wrong with that site. There's coins to be found, it's just that there's a lotta not-coins to be found as well.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your clad is shiny, it can't have been out there too long. At least not in my part of the world. Some Western folk have posted white nickels and even red cents that looked suspicioiusly undug to me, but I suppose in some soils it's remotely possible.

It's always nice to know the detector's working, anyway. I've been on sites that made me wonder, and reach into my pocket for a test coin!

Like you said- plenty of coins to be found, but a lot of non-coin material, too.

Some of the non-coin stuff is good, and a lot of it isn't.

What kind of depth were these at?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If your clad is shiny, it can't have been out there too long. At least not in my part of the world. Some Western folk have posted white nickels and even red cents that looked suspicioiusly undug to me, but I suppose in some soils it's remotely possible.

What kind of depth were these at? >>

The soil was really dry-- the dime was only an inch in at the most, in the plug I pulled out. The quater was about three inches in.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Dry. Why didn't I consider that angle?

I guess that's why the Western folk can post some crazy well-preserved coppers and clads and nickels sometimes.

Our soil can be pretty kind sometimes, but dry we ain't. This is Humidity Central, on this part of the coastline.

The water in the ground causes the clads and nickels and copper to all go reddish-brown, but the silver stays nice and bright, usually.

And the gold, not that I'd know about that, personally, having dug no gold jewelry in about ten years, and no gold coins ever!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.