Home U.S. Coin Forum

1999-W $10 GAE error MS69 BIN $600 - Follow-up - Ended at $687

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
I had this auction come up in my favorite searches this morning. A 1999-W $10 GAE error struck with unfinished proof dies ICG MS69 with a BIN of $600.

These trend in the $900 range and so I was ready to pull the trigger on the BIN.

To my utter amazement some numbskull started the bidding @ .99 instead of just buying the friggin' thing. What is the matter with people? Do they actually think they are going to be able ot buy it lower than $600? Did you look at the pics? It is an awesome example that could easily go 69 in PCGS IMO. If it did, it's potenially a $1,200 coin.

It just irks me that some cheapskate numbnuts bids on things like this trying to get a rip, when the BIN is already a rip! image

---------------------
edit to add: The auction ended at $687. image
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• I'd contact the seller image

• $600 sounds about right since it will more than likely only cross at MS68.

There are guys out on Ebay that do this all the time. They bid .99 cents as soon as the auction goes up and then you never see them again. Makes you wonder.

• Although I prefer a .99 cent start that is why I use a small reserve to protect the buy it now.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>$600 sounds about right since it will more than likely only cross at MS68.

There are guys out on Ebay that do this all the time. They bid .99 cents as soon as the auction goes up and then you never see them again. Makes you wonder. >>

Bidding on an auction lets you keep track of it and many people do it just for that.
  • CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bidding on an auction lets you keep track of it and many people do it just for that. >>

What happened to the good ol' "Watch this Item" feature? image
  • RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, there is a "watch item" feature available to keep track, which means that there is no actual need to bid just to keep track. I believe that there is some sort of selfish reason to take away the BIN. I'm just not sure how logical it is to do so.
    In this particular case, the guy who took away the BIN probably had no idea that it was a good deal at the BIN price.
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Bidding on an auction lets you keep track of it and many people do it just for that. >>

What happened to the good ol' "Watch this Item" feature? >>

I watch many items and regularly run out of quota. Bidding allows you to keep track of more items than watching alone allows.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch it go for a grand now, Mitch image

HE>I

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,084 ✭✭✭
    I would try contacting the seller.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com

• << <i>Watch it go for a grand now, Mitch image >>

In this case, the seller is lucky that somebody bid 99 cents, and that the OP did not act quickly enough.
    It seems that his $600 BIN was a mistake as he also has a '99W $5 AGE for sale with the same $600 BIN.
    FULL Heads RULE!

<< <i>Watch it go for a grand now, Mitch image >>

I know it Joe, that's why I'm image .

OK, I admit it. This thread has "sour grapes" written all over it. image
    image for update
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    So did you buy it?

I did this this weekend. a coin had a $269 BIN and a $239 start price. I was very tempted to hit the BIN but instead bid. It had been sitting there for 6 days without a bid. Right after I bid another guy bid. I had already placed at second bid at the $269 BIN price and then got scared and placed a slightly higher bid. In the end I got it for $263 for for all my worrying I saved $6. There was a significant possiblity I could have lost the coin so I should have just used the BIN and been happy.--jerry
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    Many times when I see something like that there is always a hope that if bid on it would go for much less.

In this case, nope.

<< <i>So did you buy it?
    >>

Nope, I dind't even bring myself to bid on it. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file