Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scan of my Altered Al - Little Help Please

Hi,

I received my submission back from PSA today. Per a prior posting, here is a scan of my Kaline rookie that was not slabbed. It was deemed as N5: Altered Stock. Anyone have any thoughts? The card is a strong 3, possibly a weak 4. The only things I can think of is that perhaps someone tried to smooth / iron out some wrinkles. Also, the chipping along the edges look strange, maybe that was an attemp to "build up" the cardboard?

Sincerely,

Lost in Detroit

Comments

• Options
    i think at most its a 3.

possible border reconstruction?
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    In person, the edges don't have the toxic look that they have on the scan. They look chipped for lack of a better term.

-Tom
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the corners may have been built up. Hard to say on a scan. Get yourself a black light pen or lamp.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Dear Lost in Detroit,

While it's a far cry from a Barry Sanders card or better yet, an Emmitt Smith, I still would resub it.

Sincerely

Confused in Saint Pete

• Options
    Just a guess w/o seeing it in person but from a very fast first glance it looks like it could have been bleached (or an excessively soaked). Edges and corners with wear, dings and creases are usually a little dirty, especially along the edges. Almost impossibe to blindly tell from a scan. What does the back look like?

Loupe or take a close look at the creases in the red on the top corners. Do the look overly white deep inside? Also looks like the forehead and hat has small white fibers exposed. Here is an example of a bleached card you can compare it to or go here for more info. If anything it will help rule it out:

Hope this helps.

Kevin Saucier
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies so far. Matt, I may give her one more try on a submission.

Kevin, really good advice. One thing that does stand out to me is that the card has exceptional "gloss" for the condition it's in. Maybe someone varnished the dang thing. From the back, it doesn't seem to show any signs of liquid, but maybe it was bleached or something.

By the way, welcome to the board Kevin. You didn't pitch for the Tigers (and Phillies) back in the 80's, did you?
  • Options

<< <i>By the way, welcome to the board Kevin. You didn't pitch for the Tigers (and Phillies) back in the 80's, did you? >>

You mean welcome back, been here for years. I got banned for my website. Seems they let me back in or made a mistake. Either way I need a new user ID.

Kevin Saucier