Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Baltimore Show Report- The VAM Perspective

Had a good show in Baltimore today. The place was packed and it looked like the whole convention center had all of the tables completely sold out.

My favorite find was this one:

1900-O VAM-21A Die break over MERI of AMERICA. Huge break. Never saw one in person before. Very cool.

Another interesting find was a 1923 VAM-1i. This has a strong die gouge in the E of LIBERTY.

Had lunch with Jack Lee (wolf359) and Grant Hobika, who are both amazing 1878 VAMers. Among the coins shared were Grant;s MS-62ish 1880 VAM-39 clashed E and Jack’s 1878 REV 78 VAM-167 coin. Both are very tough coins.

I made one attributed VAM purchase, an 1878 VAM-14.15 in an early die state before the P in pluribus is broken. Got what I thought was a pretty good deal on an XF-40 coin. These are very rare and seldom offered for sale.

Sorted through a bucket of circ Morgans and found two 1888 Oval Os, two 1879-S Rev 78 coins and an 1899 Micro O. All these coins are yet to be attributed as to the specific VAM and are “play material” for upcoming evenings. Couple of them may be tough as they are all VG to Fine. Bought them for 17.50 each on a day when the silver content of a Morgan is about $15.

Purchased an AU thornhead 1921-S VAM-1B6. Happy to have it but am always on the hunt for the much more rare varieties. I still need a VAM-1B2 and VAM-1B7 if anyone has one to offer! The thornhead series was recently picked as the VAM of the week starting 22 Feb over on VAMworld. Thornheads on VAMworld

The last coin I grabbed on the floor was a 1921-D Pompadour T VAM-1Q for $15.50 in AU. Didn’t think I’d be able to touch a Morgan at that price given the price of silver, let alone get a cool VAM in the process.

Ran into more VAMers on the floor: chatted with Ash Harrison, Michael Fey and Brian Raines. Ash had some amazing VAMs as always. Fey expects to publish a book very soon, encapsulating his entire quarterly Top 100 Insights newsletter history. Should be cool as there’s been a wealth of info across the years. It will also show the phenomenal rise of prices for some of the truly rare coins.

Finished the day talking to another great VAMer, John Roberts as he prescreened some of my coins at his ANACS table. I know there were more VAM hunters on the floor as I saw some folks bent over boxes of dollars with high powered loupes. Competition was clearly out there, but there was plenty of material for the cherrypickers to go around.

I will close with one final observation. It was nearly impossible to find PCGS attributed VAMs on the bourse. I saw lots of NGC, ANACS, and SEGS VAMs. VAMs in PCGS plastic, with attributions on the holder were not available. I don’t know if this is a function of the PCGS VAM registry taking them off the market or if it is that not enough are being made because of the huge $20 surcharge on top of a grading fee to add the VAM attribution. Either way, its clear the market instantly absorbs all the PCGS VAMs available right now.

Phew. Great day.

Rob

(edited to add VAM-1Q link)
Rob Joyce - Dollar Variety / VAM Collector
http://www.vamworld.com
and
http://www.rjrc.com

Comments

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the post...I wish I could've been there! (I'll have to settle for the Temple, TX show on Sunday)
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rob:

Great report, and thanks for sharing the flavor of the hunt with us. The VAM coin show circus moves on to Phoenix next week for the ANA show, and hopefully there will be some new stuff for us beginners to find that you professional sharks haven't already gobbled up.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    Great finds and great report thanks. One day I will know enough to get out there are compete.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Great report. Thanks for including pics. image
  • Options
    direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like everyones having a blast. Wish I could have went to the show. Hopefully next year.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• Options
    I am very jealous of you right now.......I only get to meet vammers online....but give me a week and I might be able to help you on that 1b2....about xf'ish.....already slabbed and green image Just waiting for him to pick his two other from my stash....

btw....that 53 is still avail image
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Great report,Wish I could have been there.Nice pick-ups.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    Nice report. I wasn't even aware of that 21A; must be a newer find. Just checked the auction pics of my VAM21 (NCG 66) to make sure it wasn't one. I also have noticed fewer and fewer PCGS attributed VAMs on bourses. They might make it into dealer cases but get bought up fast. The ones on eBay are more visible because they sit there for a week exposed generally. Phoenix (or Buena Park for those So Cal folks who won't make the longer drive) should be interesting next weekend. One of these times, I need to make the Baltimore show. Have heard it is the best run one.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    John, Eric, others,
    The ANA World's Fair of Money is coming to Baltimore July 30-Aug 3 this summer. Would love to meet you if you make the trip!
    Rob
    and
  • Options
    ttt for today's crew

Rob
    and
  • Options
    Rob, nice report and nice finds! I like that break on the 1900-O 21A. It was discovered in February 2006. Great coin, but the discoverer is a nut case. image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice report, and yes, the 00-O VAM 21A is a cool coin. I was in Germany last week, and just returned this afternoon. I do plan on coming to the ANA show this summer.
  • Options
    I enjoyed the Baltimore show, today. I stopped by Rich Uhrich's table to talk about 2 feather buffaloes and such. He was gracious enough to give me a signed copy of his beautiful auction catalog of his outstanding collection. I spoke with Andy Skrabalak of Angel Dee's and picked up a spectacular purchace, and saw Dennis King regarding toned Lincolns. Chewed the fat with many others and left quite pleased!

All in all a wonderful day.

Garrow
  • Options
    If all these mega vamers are in one place, I will be there and buying dinner. The cost is worth it, just being able to pick their brains for an hour. Small price to pay for knowledge. Anyone coming to Chicago?
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>If all these mega vamers are in one place, I will be there and buying dinner. The cost is worth it, just being able to pick their brains for an hour. Small price to pay for knowledge. Anyone coming to Chicago? >>

Mulling it over myself. I'll leave the tip if I do.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    21A was a monster pick by Rob, he's being humble. That VAM should be on the Hit List 40.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If all these mega vamers are in one place, I will be there and buying dinner. The cost is worth it, just being able to pick their brains for an hour. Small price to pay for knowledge. Anyone coming to Chicago? >>

You bet! I assume Ash Harrison will be there as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file