Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

And yet another IHC, with woodgrain toning

This is one for the woodgrain fans out there. I've seen this on plenty of Lincolns but not IHC's...is this rare for the series? What grade would YOU give this one? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    That's interesting but too much of a contrast for me. I like the color across the coin to be more even with the woodgrain woven in between.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    i've seen lots of 1909-s IHC's with this type of toning.....some quite extreme

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I have an '09 with similar woody toning. I like that one.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool coin!!!!! image
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if I'm a fan, but it looks like a MS-64RB. The toning is due to a difference in the alloy as the planchet strip was rolled out. More tin and zinc makes the brighter planchet areas. I prefer even toning.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Options
    CaptainRonCaptainRon Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    I had an 1865 that was streaked somewhat similar to this one, and have seen other Phili mint coins like this as well, though usually ealier in the series, but like others have stated I see it more often on 09s

I think in Rick's books or maybe it was Flynn's (I can't remember which) they describe alloy mixtures real well, especially during differant years.

I also believe Shylock posted a real cool thread sometime back that shows all the differant colors of Red that an IHC planchet can be seen in. If someone can dig that one up, I believe it is really informative and somewhat reelates to this topic.

As far as your coin, I enjoy the look of a heavily contrasted woodgrain toning, I guess because it's easier for my old eyes to see image

I like it 64rb
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    For you dark siders--I have several Canadian Large cents that are wood grained. Cool looking coins.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file