Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coin docs, dealers and auctions...

If a certain dealer (we'll call them dealer "A") refuses to buy coins from another who is a known crackout artist (dealer "B"), and rails against the coin doc's and TPG's for enhanced coins, then buys coins at auction which have been backdoored by dealer "B", does that make dealer "A" a professional victim? What does it say about the TPG graders?

John

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on whether or not the coins have been messed with.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Depends on whether or not the coins have been messed with. >>

Not really, as most of the dealers in business today cannot distinguish between a doctored coin and one that has not been messed with, not to mention the graders that put them in slabs in the first place. I'm not taking about the blatantly obvious ones, but the ones that are so good (and there are lots of them), 98% of the dealers cannot tell they have been enhanced.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what point you are trying to make.

I still say that the answer to your question [does that make dealer "A" a professional victim?] depends on whether the coin has been messed with or not.
  • Options
    John, I think that if 98% of dealers can't tell that they've been doctored, then 99.99% of collectors will not
    be able to tell either, making it a moot point as to whether the coin has been doctored or not.
    If nobody can tell, the coin would be market acceptable.
  • Options

<< <i>John, I think that if 98% of dealers can't tell that they've been doctored, then 99.99% of collectors will not
    be able to tell either, making it a moot point as to whether the coin has been doctored or not.
    If nobody can tell, the coin would be market acceptable. >>

I think we may have a winner here...
    Re: Slabbed coins - There are some coins that LIVE within clear plastic and wear their labels with pride... while there are others that HIDE behind scratched plastic and are simply dragged along by a label. Then there are those coins that simply hang out, naked and free image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Life is filled with decisions and risks.image
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>John, I think that if 98% of dealers can't tell that they've been doctored, then 99.99% of collectors will not
    If nobody can tell, the coin would be market acceptable. >>

Would it surprise you to know that one of the best in the business told me a funny story today about repurchasing one of his coins a few years later, and not realising it was his until he cracked it out? And incidently, when he re-submitted it, it upgraded a point...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file