Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1900-O VAM 29A Questions

I know I already posted this coin to another thread. But I have a few questions regarding this variety. I am keeping a journal on all my "keeper" coins and was wondering:

1. I have read that this variety is unknown in MS, but NGC shows 3 graded in MS, which is the more accurate statement?
2. What would the approximate value in XF be. I noticed one from 2004 sell for $494 and one 5 days ago sell for $190, both were XF45? Although the later looks cleaned in an ANACS holder.

I keep the notes incase anything should ever happen, the wife has an idea whats going on.

Here are a couple pics and paid real close to melt for it:

Life member of the SSDC

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone on the late crew assist? Thanks
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the NGC pop report says there are 3 of them, my first reaction is I'm skeptical. NGC has made too many VAM attribution errors for me to believe these coins exist, until I hear from someone who has actually seen one. I would not be surprised if they turned out to actually be VAM 35s.

If a mint state one did exist it would be a $1000+ coin IMO. Here are actual sales prices of coins in better grades:

1900-O 29A 50 ANACS Apr-05 E $406
    1900-O 29A 50 ANACS Sep-07 VQ $366
    1900-O 29A 50 raw Mar-06 E $108
    1900-O 29A 45 ANACS Feb-07 TT $291
    1900-O 29A 40 PCGS Jan-08 E $330
    1900-O 29A 40 ANACS May-06 PP $300
    1900-O 29A 40 raw Aug-06 E $121
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I too would like to see a MS example,very tough Vam in any grade.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139
    I doubt very much that the NGC UNCs are indeed VAM-29A. (What eBay fodder they would make though!) They are very likely what used to be called VAM-35. I say "used to be" because I sent Leroy a clashed one last year and he wrote back that a few VAMs (including VAM-35) were rolled into VAM-14 and that mine was VAM-14A, though it was a "different" VAM-14A based on the clash rotation. I'd have to dig up his letter to get all of the details. Despite the VAMView estimates, I suspect if a genuine 29A UNC problem-free, say in a PCGS holder, came to market at a major public auction, it would bring more than $5K and possibly more than $10K (depending on what MS tier). There are at least 4 VAM enthusiasts (including yours truly) who would ensure that.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    As you can see even from the limited sales posted by Dennis, there is a BIG difference in market value for the coin slabbed vs. raw. If the coin is problem free I would pony up the nearly $50 its going to take to get it into a PCGS attributed slab. It will eliminate any 'grade guessing' and will be much easier to market once it is time to move on. of course if the coin has problems and won't slab...you've just added to your costs of the coin...and you've still got a raw one. VAMmer's face this decision all the time. You will make mistakes along the way. It's part of the gig if your going to be a VAMmer. Congratulations on a nice coin and if you decide to slab it, hope you will post the result (if its a happy one) when you get it back.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options

<< <i>As you can see even from the limited sales posted by Dennis, there is a BIG difference in market value for the coin slabbed vs. raw. If the coin is problem free I would pony up the nearly $50 its going to take to get it into a PCGS attributed slab. It will eliminate any 'grade guessing' and will be much easier to market once it is time to move on. of course if the coin has problems and won't slab...you've just added to your costs of the coin...and you've still got a raw one. VAMmer's face this decision all the time. You will make mistakes along the way. It's part of the gig if your going to be a VAMmer. Congratulations on a nice coin and if you decide to slab it, hope you will post the result (if its a happy one) when you get it back. >>

Now was this because the raw coins were unattributed?
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

<< <i>As you can see even from the limited sales posted by Dennis, there is a BIG difference in market value for the coin slabbed vs. raw. If the coin is problem free I would pony up the nearly $50 its going to take to get it into a PCGS attributed slab. It will eliminate any 'grade guessing' and will be much easier to market once it is time to move on. of course if the coin has problems and won't slab...you've just added to your costs of the coin...and you've still got a raw one. VAMmer's face this decision all the time. You will make mistakes along the way. It's part of the gig if your going to be a VAMmer. Congratulations on a nice coin and if you decide to slab it, hope you will post the result (if its a happy one) when you get it back. >>

Now was this because the raw coins were unattributed? >>

At least to a large degree. Every VAMmer cuts his teeth on the mis-cherry of a different 00-O VAM for a VAM-29A sometime. From then on, they are guilty until proven innocent. A cleaned 29A is still worth more than the other VAM, problem-free, in the same grade...easily. Yes, that ubiquitous disappointment when that PCGS gem VAM-29A proves not to be a VAM-29A makes one really appreciate this variety.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options
    I have to agree. The one above is the 5th one I thought I purchased. Turns out to be the first 29A.
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    richrich Posts: 364
    Nice pick up,How did you get that close up shot?

1997 Matte Nickel strike thru U
    "Error Collector- I Love Dem Crazy Coins"
    "Money, what is money? It is loaned to a man; he comes into the world with nothing and he leaves with nothing." Billy Durant. Founder of General Motors. He died a pauper.
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments on the pics. I have zero camera ability, so I use a Cannon 4200F flatbed scanner. I am sure there are better ones available now a days, but this one works for me.
    Life member of the SSDC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file