Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need help with these

I picked up a couple coins today and haven't been able to identify them. The one with the profile looks like it is made of nickel, the other looks like silver. Any coments are welcome.
Thanks

John

Comments

• Options
    A Roman Colonial Syrian (i believe) silver drachma of Syria or maybe Egypt 54-68 A.D under Nero. The other is a Spanish silver one reale of Ferdinand and Isabella 1474-1504. Only damper is, I'd get some more eyes to look at them in person to verify they are genuine-- the Spanish coin especially looks a little too nicely round for the period. I hope they are genuine-- we'll see what other folks on here think.
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 is a Roman Provincial. On the obverse, the text to the right of the portrait says "NERWN KAISAR", the text on the left "SEBASTES" - Emperor Nero Caesar. The reverse (eagle side) says in Greek, "ETOYS BIP I", translating to "Year 112, 10". A wildwinds search brings up this coin, saying it's from Antioch. "Year 112" is the date in the Caesarean Era, counting from the time Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon. "Year 10" is the regnal year of Nero. These dates therefore translate to 63 AD. The coin is supposed to be made of silver.

#2 is a very early Spanish silver coin from the "Reyes Catolicos" series, struck during the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella, of Columbus fame, 1469-1504. Denomination will depend on weight and/or diameter. There's an identical one discussed in this thread over on CCF.

Be aware that both these coins are reasonably likely to be counterfeited, as both are popular series with collectors.
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)