Home U.S. Coin Forum

Legends Teams with Steve Geppi's Morphy Auctions to Form New Company

Morphy/Legend Coin Auctions

Morphy Auctions, a Geppi’s Entertainment Auctions company, and Legend Numismatics have announced the creation of Morphy/Legend Coin Auctions, a new division of Geppi’s Entertainment Auctions. The Denver, Pennsylvania-based Morphy Auctions and the Lincroft, New Jersey-based Legend Numismatics will each own 50 percent of the new company, which has already begun accepting consignments immediately for its first auction.

Legend brings to this new enterprise its extraordinary standing in the coin world and collecting circles, while Morphy adds in its sterling reputation in operating auctions. Both firms have been noted over a protracted period for their customer service and attention to detail.
GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio

Comments

• First Strike™ coins are the best.............!!!image
    ......Larry........image
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    argh! get me that carl barks painting and tell those two jokers
    to get out of the way of it so i can see it better!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both firms have been noted over a protracted period for their customer service and attention to detail.

If you're a billionaire, you've got lipstick all over your arse. The rest of us get growls and scowls.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both firms have been noted over a protracted period for their customer service and attention to detail.

If you're a billionaire, you've got lipstick all over your arse. The rest of us get growls and scowls. >>

I'm sure they would be happy to put lipstick all over your bum as well, if you just asked image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both firms have been noted over a protracted period for their customer service and attention to detail.

If you're a billionaire, you've got lipstick all over your arse. The rest of us get growls and scowls. >>

That's blatantly false - mere millionaires get their arses kissed too... image
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i called it! this new auction company will hopefully have a auction at Coinfest!
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i> “We think, though, that with our experience in auctions, which was most recently seen in the $7.7 million results for the Steckbeck Collection of Mechanical Banks, and their understanding of the coin market, that we can offer consumers and collectors a truly superb experience.” >>

One firm sells mechanical banks and the other firm sells old coins to put in the mechanical banks. There’s synergy there.

But I’m not sure I would have framed my press release in Mickey Mouse motif.

CG
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Both firms have been noted over a protracted period for their customer service and attention to detail. >>

"Both Morphy Auctions and Legend Numismatics enjoy a longstanding, well deserved reputation for customer service and attention to detail."

Will copy edit for widgets. image

Good luck all. image
  • djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does the hobby need yet another internet auction?? Aren't there too many already?
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope this will fare better than the last Legend attempt to get their foot in the door of the auction business.

Good luck to them, I hope they succeed even though they have rarely sold coins I collect.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    I made some really good buys when Legend was running their own auction. Heard several other people make the same statement and I suspect that is why legend quit having them. I'll be interested to see how this works out.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
    I just responded to a PM question with this answer and thought it pertinent enough to post here in this thread:

I don't know what you mean exactly by 'continuation'. Laura has always wanted to do auctions but the last try just took too much time and effort. We convinced her to wait until a better opportunity came along. Morphy's has the infrastructure to do it all and wanted to enter numismatic auctions, Legend has the numismatic expertise and connections. A perfect fit.
  • Much better business plan partnering with another established auction house. I have never heard of the auction company, but I am sure Legend did their homework. Good luck on your newest venture, smart move with little start up costs.

Quick everyone send in widgets and watch Laura have a panic attack. Just kidding. image
    Life member of the SSDC
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor uncle Daddy, like scouring the boards for unfavorable posts on Legend, CAC was not enough......... now add another business. image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will they do live auctions?

<< <i>Poor uncle Daddy, like scouring the boards for unfavorable posts on Legend, CAC was not enough......... now add another business. image >>

Gotta give you something to do ... after all, it seems you show up in every thread regarding either to make at least one pithy comment. image
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Poor uncle Daddy, like scouring the boards for unfavorable posts on Legend, CAC was not enough......... now add another business. image >>

Gotta give you something to do ... after all, it seems you show up in every thread regarding either to make at least one pithy comment. image >>

image Thanks for being consistent!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't everyone hold off on coin shows and press releases until after April 15th????????

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't everyone hold off on coin shows and press releases until after April 15th????????

image >>

How about if the Feds would just cancel April 15th? image
  • Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

<< <i>argh! get me that carl barks painting and tell those two jokers
    to get out of the way of it so i can see it better! >>

I'm with you, fc! I'm looking at the "Blizzard Tonight" Litho hanging on my wall now. I have the large "Halloween in Duckburg" hanging in the hall. Carl Barks was the master, both in art and storytelling. I am still amazed at all the things I learned in the 1950's by reading those great duck adventures. Steve Geppi also owns Gemstone Publishing, which is the current publisher of the comics. (Although they now cost $10 instead of 10 cents!)
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More competition for Scotsman, I love it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this will be big!
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • Competition is good.
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morphy Auctions?????

Never heard of them, I think if Legend wanted to go back into the auction coin market they should have built their own infrastructure and kept it under their own name.

'Morphy' ???
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Continues the idea to open new revenue streams. Great idea! Will probably send some business your way in that regard. image

What about antique jewelry?
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked her auctions before, and look forward to the new venture!
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With so many well established auction firms out there, why would anyone use a wannabe auction firm to sell their coins?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Forming a "division" within an existing corporation is different from creating a "new company." Which is it?
  • This new compnay has the potential to 'rock the auction boat' and did not go unnoticed by the existing auction companies. I heard there were some interesting reactions, ranging from tears to attempts to buy in.

There are so many games being played that it will be refreshing to have a new player come in and take the high road. Remember how successful ANR was....

Plus these guys have the technology. Dan Morphy is a software veteran and, as a former software guy, I can tell you that the software business is far more competitive (cut-throat) than selling coins. He won't screwup.
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many games being played that it will be refreshing to have a new player come in and take the high road. Remember how successful ANR was....

Sure I remember ANR. When Dave Bowers' non-compete clause expired he became the front man for ANR. He represented everything that B&M had come to represent, leaving just a name behind for the new owners of B&M. ANR was in fact the real B&M as soon as Dave's involvement went public. In comparison Geppi, Morphy, etc don't bring 20 years of coin auction experiences to the marketplace. Same way that PCI being bought by DLRC doesn't bring any top tier TPG experience to the party.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are so many games being played that it will be refreshing to have a new player come in and take the high road. Remember how successful ANR was....

Sure I remember ANR. When Dave Bowers' non-compete clause expired he became the front man for ANR. He represented everything that B&M had come to represent, leaving just a name behind for the new owners of B&M. ANR was in fact the real B&M as soon as Dave's involvement went public. In comparison Geppi, Morphy, etc don't bring 20 years of coin auction experiences to the marketplace. Same way that PCI being bought by DLRC doesn't bring any top tier TPG experience to the party.

roadrunner >>

I agree with you,....that is alot of sofware to build to get a coin auction on the caliber of Heritage or Stacks, and even then, what will be the added value?......The only thing I can think of will be price to buy and sell and that is a maybe.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am surprised at the negative comments in this thread. As collectors we all benefit from the added competition. In addition, the success or failure of an auction company is determined by the quality of the consignments they attract, there are other factors of course but it is mostly about the coins.

The ability to generate consignments is often based on established relationships and the fact is Legend has built many serious collections over the years. I for one am excited about the possibilities and the potential of this new venture.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First reactions aren't always my strong suit. image

If they are successful at attracting quality consignments and can pull off the customer service aspect, then more power to them.

I will certainly be a willing bidder. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

• << <i>I for one am excited about the possibilities and the potential of this new venture. >>

steve

myCCset
  • ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Im all for this. I think another auction company is just what we need. I hope this turns out good.

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am surprised at the negative comments in this thread. >>

I don't know why you're surprised. Laura could end world hunger and eliminate terrorism, and there'd still be people who would find fault.

Russ, NCNE

• << <i>I don't know why you're surprised. Laura could end world hunger and eliminate terrorism, and there'd still be people who would find fault. >>

sad but true!image
    steve

myCCset
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of my favorite coins were purchased at the old Legend Auctions. They were relatively inexpensive, too, at $200-300. Considering what a mind-numbing exercise it is to browse other online auctions, I'm looking forward to these offerings.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I like it - have just checked Morphy's website for next sale

April 4 sale - over a month in advance

they look very professional and seem timely, as getting next auction posted seems low on many auction prioritys

and the houses that do not get lots posted on the net more than a week before the sale are not houses I choose to do business with
  • Geppi, Morphy, etc don't bring 20 years of coin auction experiences

The jury is out as it should be with every new venture. But having met with Dan and listening to his approach to auctioning, I think he will deliver a platform that is focused on ease of use and rich content. He told me they just did an $8 million toy auction. My bet is they will offer a pretty good technical platform. Being backed by a billionaire has lots of advantages as well. image

The ability to generate consignments is often based on established relationships and the fact is Legend has built many serious collections over the years

This is Legends challenge - to bring in the choice consignments. That's what made ANR an overnight success. The same thing could happen here. image

Competition is good.

Good for consignors and buyers. There may be an auction company or two who wish this wasn't happening.....image
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    did this "news" surprise anyone?

K S
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>did this "news" surprise anyone? >>

It surprised me. I thought they learned their lession the last time they started an auction firm. I guess they are slow learners.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• ahooka454ahooka454 Posts: 3,466
    Since Im relatively new to buying coins on the net, I didnt see this coming or expect it. I wasnt fimiliar with the fact that Legand had a auction venue.
    I hope this is a good thing for the hobby and I hope they do this right.
  • Their auction site is up www.mlcoinauctions.com. They have some nice coins going for sale. Most CAC stickered. Some coins even in ANACS holders.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • Good luck in your new venture, Laura. I wish you well. Just Having Fun
    Jefferson nickels, Standing Libs, and US-Philippines rock
  • IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    Link. Looks like TDN's 1876 T$1 is the logo. image
  • Some really cool looking coins in this auction, in price ranges for everyone. Any one at Central States going to look at the coins?
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions
  • DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856

<< <i>

That's blatantly false - mere millionaires get their arses kissed too... image >>

aka Dan
  • fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭
    i am not impressed in the least.
    first of all the pictures on two lib half eagles are swapped.
    the cac stickered ms62 1881P half eagle looks like a AU58 slider
    and the overall quality of the lib HE being offered is sad.

back to ebay and heritage. u know. the usual dumping grounds for
    sad coins.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know why you're surprised. Laura could end world hunger .... >>

she's going on a diet?

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file