Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

60's Mets autographed ball information needed

Hi all,

I recently purchased this ball on Ebay. As you can see, it has "Personally Autographed" printed directly on the ball right above the auto. I have never seen a ball with that printed on it. I have a few facsimilie balls with printed signatures, but it seems this ball was made to be autographed. There are 3 other autographs on the ball, one I can't read, Tracy Stallard and Larry Bearnarth. And I forgot to take a picture of the top panel which says "Big League Autograph".

The box had the lid missing, but the rest of it was in nice shape. I am not sure if this is the box that was originally with it or not, that is what came with it. My thoughts are that it could have been sold at the stadium or maybe some sort of promotion? I am just taking educated guesses here, but that is why I am asking here. Maybe there is a lifelong Mets fan who will recognize this kind of ball and can give me some history. Any and all information is appreciated! image

Looking for Carl Willey items.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I'm confused, you say their are 3 autos and one you can't figure out?

?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    To me it appears it was a store bought ball that was brought to the ballpark and had some sigs done to it.

I place the ball circa 1965 or 6. Possibly 64.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    With further review the ball is older 1963 or 4

Stallard was on the Mets only those 2 years.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm confused, you say their are 3 autos and one you can't figure out?

?

Steve >>

Sorry, I guess I should have said there were 3 OTHER autos, one of which I couldn't figure out or read. Your right about the years, as Carlton only pitched for them from 63-65. And with Stallard pitching just those 2 years, that narrows it down even more.

I didn't think it was a store bought model because it had the "Personally Autographed" printed on it. My thought is that the ball was printed with that on it, autographed, then either sold or given away. Or did they sell balls back then with "Personally Autograped" printed on them that you could get autographs on? I didn't think of that.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    The ball was sold in stores for kids to get autographs on. The term "personally autographed" would apply if you collected a bunch of signatures from real players or signed them yourself...

As for the signatures, post a pic and I should be able to tell you who they are.
  • Options
    What Moose said is correct. I remember those balls as a kid.

Steve
    Good for you.