Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1977 Topps Mexican FB - only need two more cards...

Steve,

Here's a positive thread for you....image

After working on this set for thirty years (i.e. since 1977), I am down to needing only two cards to complete the set, #3 (Rushing Leaders) and #89 (McDaniel). Although I can buy them from Touchdown Treasures, his prices are very expensive, and I would prefer to find someone to trade with. I have 200+ different duplicates, including the Largent RC and many stars. If there is anybody out these who has the two cards I need, knows someone who has them, or is interested in my duplicates, please PM me.

This is, without a doubt, the most one of the most difficult sets in existence to complete. To the best of my knowledge my set will be only the 4th complete set in existence once I acquire these last two cards. I started collecting the set in 1977 when a friend of mine whose family had to move to Mexico City for two years (his dad was in the State Dept.) brought some back for me, and have been working on it seriously since the early 90's.

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated!

Matt

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Matt

Nice set. and best of luck getting the 2 cards.

Now with that said I was NOT the person that said you never post anything positive.

I did however agree with that person.

Lets not let a small detail like that stand in the way though.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations Matt.

Good luck on the last 2 cards.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike!

Your congratulations may be a bit premature, though, as it may take me another year or two to track down those last two cards!

Matt
  • Options
    matt

If you can't find anyone to trade with why not just buy them from TT treasures
    and then sell some of you extras on the bay?

just a thought.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I know nothing about that set or Touchdown Treasures...but they have a set available for FIFTEEN GRAND! Wow! Do you have any scans for us?
  • Options
    Steve,

Thanks for the thought.

Problem is that there are so few collectors of this set that cards do not sell very well on Ebay. Even if I sold all my duplicates as one giant 200+ card lot I probably wouldn't raise enough money to buy the two cards I need from Touchdown Treasures (one sells for $600, the other for $400).

And anyway, part of the challenge is finding cards through trades and other avenues. I could have finished the set five years ago by simply buying all the cards I still needed from Touchdown Treasures, but that seemed too easy (never mind expensive). Part of my challenge to myself is to complete the set without having to buy any cards from Touchdown Treasures (although I bought more than a few boxes from them back in the day).

Matt
  • Options
    ne sells for $600, the other for $400).

oh lol nevermind then.

I'd wait to I think.

Maybe you could trade with them? maybe give them 2x value?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AJW,

This is probably one of the most difficult "modern" sets to complete. It's a test issue that was released by Topps in Mexico and sold in 2-card and 4-card wax packs, 36 packs to a box. The two-card packs are fairly common, but are notorious for gum and wax stains. Four-card packs are extremely scarce, and are highly valued because they did not contain gum.

Cards are generally fairly rough-cut, and distribution was horrible. There are about 10-15 cards, nicknamed the "Dirty Dozen", that are almost impossible to find in any condition and sell for $300+ even in P-G condition.

If you are interested in more detailed info, there is a very good website (www.toppsmexican.com) that one of my fellow set collectors has put together.

Matt
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    See, this is the kind of stuff that should be written about in SMR. Not highlighting the the 84 Topps football or 89 Upper Deck sets.
  • Options
    jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭
    Probably wasting your time but this guy has #3 in ex with a water stain for $299.
  • Options
    kidzfundkidzfund Posts: 565 ✭✭✭
    Wow! I had no idea there was a Topps Mexican set, let alone a web site dedicated to it.

Joe
  • Options

<< <i>Wow! I had no idea there was a Topps Mexican set, let alone a web site dedicated to it.

Joe >>

Worth reading about, definitely the hardest set of the 70s to get in nice condition. Harder than OPC even!
  • Options
    Jimq112,

Thanks for the tip. Scott is already somebody i've traded with, but right now I don't have anything he needs.

and CDnuts....I'd love to write an article about the set, but I doubt SMR would be interested, since only a few of my cards are graded.

Matt
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Probably wasting your time but this guy has #3 in ex with a water stain for $299. >>

Jim:

"this guy?" Ouch. I'm not really that bad a guy. I've managed to complete the set (thanks in great part to many that I mention on my website) and I've undertaken the task of working on another set (I'm an IDIOT) in NM-MT grade.

It was an interesting journey and I lucked into a few things because of the website. Interestingly, Matt and I just started discussing the #3 card image and it's probably not really going to be a waste of Matt's time. Heck, I made some earlier purchases from Matt and I believe we made a swap or two when I was down to my last 10-15 cards.

Anyway, the set is way underrated and the few sites that I see that have cards posted price them all over the board.

I really need to get back and do some updating on my site. Both with regard to inventory and with regard to content.

And Matt, with regard to known sets, I believe we've accounted for a grand total of 16 confirmed complete sets, although I hear that two were broken down.
  • Options
    I'm not really that bad a guy.

I agree, I actually find your posts very interesting and full of information.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Probably wasting your time but this guy has #3 in ex with a water stain for $299. >>

Jim:

"this guy?" Ouch.. >>

Hey Scott, before you get too mad at me, I did take the time to send a link that I guess could help you sell a card image

I only collect packers in the mexican set, had you in my links but never dealt with you. Never would have guessed toppsmexican.com was off the wall cards image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Jim:

"this guy?" Ouch.. >>

Hey Scott, before you get too mad at me, I did take the time to send a link that I guess could help you sell a card image

I only collect packers in the mexican set, had you in my links but never dealt with you. Never would have guessed toppsmexican.com was off the wall cards image >>

Or www.halloffamerookiecards.com (still a work in progress, however) or a bunch of others. Heck, you don't even want to get me started on my real estate websites, do you?

And I don't bother to get mad anymore. I'm saving that for the day that my daughter comes home and tells me she's pregnant (I don't care whether she's married or not, I'm gonna be ticked . . . ). image
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

<< <i>[

Or www.halloffamerookiecards.com (still a work in progress, however) or a bunch of others. Heck, you don't even want to get me started on my real estate websites, do you?
    >>

You didn't ask, but I'd like to see larger scans of the cards on the main page. I know you can click to see a nice, large scan, but the thumbnails are too small IMHO.

It does look like a nice site in the works, though! Keep us updated on your progress...

Drew
  • Options
    1neatstuff1neatstuff Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    wow i must tell you that i didnt know that there was a site for the mexican cards and a price guide...i just looked as i had about 20 packs of these from years ago..i sold a few on ebay and had opened the rest....i sent 4 in to be graded that i thought were sharp but they are only $10.00 cards according to your price guide but now i need to look for the other ones as i curious as to what those might be worth..i know the others had a gum stain or were in bad shape,but this is still pretty cool..thanks for letting us know ...terryimage
  • Options
    Good Job Matt. Pm sent. This is one hard set. If anybody has these singles please let
    me know. I have emailed Joe about this set a couple of times. I asked him last month
    to include a note in the regular 1977 set that a mexican version exists in the smr price guide.
    I am also looking for some singles. I will pay top $ for #'s 21,48,57,63,66,84,89,130,143,164,181,231,236,262,268,289

Please pm if anyone has these. Don
    Always looking for 1977 topps Mexican Football. Packs and boxes. Need cards #21 and #404 bad $.
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    PM sent
  • Options

<< <i>See, this is the kind of stuff that should be written about in SMR. Not highlighting the the 84 Topps football or 89 Upper Deck sets. >>

Lee

I collect the 84 set you jay-hole!! image

One of my favorite sets, first one I collected as a kid

joe
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Have you contacted Touchdown Treasues to discuss a possible trade of assets?
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Joe- didn't mean to slight your set but there's not a whole lot to learn about the 84 set that isn't already known by 90% of the collecting public. Everybody knows centering is tough and the Marino and Elway are key cards with the Elway being tougher condition-wise. And most people know that the Stephenson is a bear to find in PSA 10. Other than that, besides a few low pop commons that nobody knows about, the article is pretty much a fluff piece (no offense to the person that wrote it).

Collectors are much more savvy these days, so an article that's written in the same fashion as the Beckett articles of the 80s and 90s really isn't all that informative. I'd rather hear more about sets with a small niche cult-like following that I don't know much about.
  • Options
    BunchofBull,

Yes, I talk to Mike regularly. However, his inventory is so large that he has no interest in adding to it. I've already offered him my duplicate Largent RC for the two cards I need, only for him to tell me that he has 15 of them.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Matt
  • Options

<< <i>Joe- didn't mean to slight your set but there's not a whole lot to learn about the 84 set that isn't already known by 90% of the collecting public. Everybody knows centering is tough and the Marino and Elway are key cards with the Elway being tougher condition-wise. And most people know that the Stephenson is a bear to find in PSA 10. Other than that, besides a few low pop commons that nobody knows about, the article is pretty much a fluff piece (no offense to the person that wrote it).

Collectors are much more savvy these days, so an article that's written in the same fashion as the Beckett articles of the 80s and 90s really isn't all that informative. I'd rather hear more about sets with a small niche cult-like following that I don't know much about. >>

Lee
    Oh, Im just bustin your chops buddy. Trust me, I know the 84 set is as generic as any of the 80's set. (except 89 score) Definately alot better sets they could have devoted an article to.

BTW, my favorite 77 Mexican cards, all Seahawks of course image

• Options
    I'm putting together a high grade (PSA-7 and above) Redskins team set. Still need the following:

4 - Scoring leaders
    12 - I have raw in about VG-EX but want to upgrade
    231 - Brown (can't bring myself to pay several hundred dollars for a Good-Poor card. This is one of the dirty dozen)
    409 - Fischer

I have many duplicate Redskins in both low and high grade if anyone is interested.

Robert
    Looking for:
    Any high grade OPC Jim Palmer
    High grade Redskins (pre 1980)
  • Options
    Holy crap, all 7s and 8s. Nice cards Joe. By the way, you're the jay-hole.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Looking for a nice Mike Webster RC let me know if anyone has one for sale.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options

<< <i>Holy crap, all 7s and 8s. Nice cards Joe. By the way, you're the jay-hole. >>

The difference between you and me Lee is that I KNOW Im a Jay-hole, your still in denial image

• Options
    No way man. G-hole- maybe. I-hole- possibly. Definitely not a Jay-hole though.
  • Options

A recent pick up for me. I like the scarcity of this set.

I will have to submit to psa for a possible bump and have them change the year on the card.

I checked the cert# and it checks out, not sure how it left PSA with the year 2489, LOL!! , chit happens.
  • Options
    Nice card. I heard Bradshaw edged out Calculon4257XY for MVP that year.
  • Options
    "We're living in the future and none of this has happened, yet."