Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thank you lordmarcovan

I would like to thank lordmarcovan,

lordmarcovan is responcible for giving me a pair of glasses, now these glasses are not the typical reading glasses that you may have seen, they are Magical glasses. They allow the person wearing them to see things that others can not. With the glasses, one sees the positive aspects of these tiny, round (most of the time), chunks of metal we like to call coins and the people who treasure them. The glasses are not blinders, so you can see the negative side too but they sure enhance the positive side of things.

The glasses will not work for everyone, infact they only work for a select few, don't worry if you've been posting here on the World & Ancient Coins Forum, chances are, you already have a pair......

I'm sorry to say, I realy never took the time to look at the World & Ancient Coins Forum posts, I was stuck in the rat race US Coin Forum. Probably because I have very little knowledge about coins not produced by the US Mint. My eyes can now see what I've been missing, the positive side, the dark side.

I hope you all welcome a new poster, and here is a warning, I will probably ask A LOT of nubie questions.

Alan Stullenbarger

Comments

• Options
    welcome and ask as many questions as you need to (we were all there once upon a time)...

warning - once you start down the darkside path, you can never return to the light!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    I think that US coins are "played out". The hobby (US coins) has gotten so boring to people that they are now concerned with the smallest hint of red in a penny to the most microscopic hairlline indentation (used to make Morgan Variations) just to make the hobby interesting to them again. With world coins you could never collect them all. It means that there are coins that you will never see in your lifetime. Coins from Ancient Roman times to coins minted in small countries in 2008. It's a wonderful maze to travel through. I thought I would never love World coins until I started tracing my ancestry and found hat my family came from Germany. I started collecting German coins. Then I took a trip to Canada (One of the most beautiful places on earth) and fell in love with their coinage. It's a great hobby to be in and I highly recomend it to anyone. I will say this, it takes far more knowledge to be a world coin collector than simply a US coin collector. I do hope that all the US coin collectors leave their ego's a the door (Not all US coin collector's are snobs but I have found that a few are!)
    Todd
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    US coins are great, but they're only one part of the picture. It's a big, wide world out there. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    US coins are great, but they're only one part of the picture. It's a big, wide world out there.

I agree image
    Welcome to the darkside Alan. image

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Newbie questions are a good thing, ask all you think of & welcome to the darkside!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    We have Cookies
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Alan!
  • Options
    Welcome, Alan!

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    image Alan !!! You'll like it here image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    image to the darkside! I am one of many who will try to answer any questions you may have... I may not know the answer but I may be able to hook you up with someone who can here on the boards.

Welcome aboard and ask away!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Welcome aboard Alan. No matter how much you know we are always newbies on the darkside. There is just too much to know for everyone to be an expert on everything.
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Welcome!

I started with U.S. Coins but drifted over to the darkside a few years ago. U.S. coins now seem dull and un-inspiring. The artwork is bland and lacks the depth of creativity found in world coins.