Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Cleaned?

Does this looked cleaned to anyone else? I notice the rim dings and the "toning/grease/grime" on the coin and then the lines going from the 3 oclock to hte 9 oclock. Just looked cleaned to me. I was going to bid on it then looked at the fact the seller is passing it as a xf/au so I was concerened it was cleaned or counterfiet... definetly not au in my book. Text
Todd

Comments

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Looks harshly dipped to me...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely cleaned, but a lot of those are.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I agree with the seller on the details grade, anyway. It does have strong AU details. Too bad it's overshiny and has those little rim hits.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coinnerdcoinnerd Posts: 491 ✭✭✭
    Harsh cleaning. No doubt about it.
  • Options
    whizzed and dipped
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    I could not say for certain if it has been cleaned or not, but I can honestly say that I have never seen a coin with that amount of scratches and dirt deposits retain such a luster. So this would be a rare experience for me. image
    J.Cordeiro
    "I has a bucket." - Minazo.
    Minazo the LOLRUS, 1994-2005
  • Options
    MeijiMeiji Posts: 170 ✭✭
    Harshly cleaned and dipped.
    You can see the hairlines going accross the whole face of the coin.
    Also there is dirt in the hard to reach places that couldnt be cleaned out.
    It also has that unnatural polished "Glow" look with haze in the legends.