Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

WANTED: 1952 Topps in really bad condition (I now have a Mantle - pics added)

2»

Comments

• fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see it.
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, here we go. Since this is such a high profile card, and since I have always said that I would NEVER buy a 52 Topps Mantle unless it were authenticated, I feel that it is necessary to make proactive statements regarding authenticity. Before I make these statements, I will say that I was able to get this card fairly inexpensive because the blue background has obviously been recolored. This was apparently done years ago, probably by some kid in the 50's. It appears to be some sort of paint substance (possibly the same kind of paint used on model cars or the paint that I used on beat up Hotwheels as a kid).

Now, in regards to authenticity -

I bought this from a trusted source with a money back guarantee if it does not get holdered by PSA.

I have studied the online guide by Kevin Saucier at 1952 Topps Mantle Guide and it is definitely not ANY of the counterfeits that he discusses.

It passes the "flashlight" test in the dark. This is where a flashlight shines through nearly ever counterfeit because of the thinner card stock used by counterfeits. I have a counterfeit (the one where the 2 print flaws are evident on the back) and a flashlight shown through. The original blocked out all light.

I have viewed this card under 10x magnification (loupe). The pixels are identical to other 1952 Topps cards. The black ink (main border, border around the stars, border around team logo, Mantle's name, and facsimile autograph) are solid black and are not pixelated. In other words, half tone was not used.

So, without further ado... drum roll, please.....

imageimage

Here is a closeup, high relosution, partial scan to show the pixels and the solid black ink.

Shane

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump. Anybody have any laying around in poor condition that they don't need?

Shane

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the Mantle!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Shane...pm me you remaining want list
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al