Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Princeton University's darkside collection

Ever wonder what the "backroom" looks like in an 80,000 coin collection? I stumbled on this pic of Princeton UNiversity's coin collection on yahoo today and found it to be interesting.

Standing in Princeton University's rare coins vault, Alan Stahl, curator of the school's numismatic collection, holds a box of Islamic coins Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2008 in Princeton, N.J., from Princeton's archaeological work in Antioch, in what is now Turkey, during the late 1930s. The 30,000 coins from the Antioch excavation make up a large part of the 80,000 items in the collection at Princeton.
(AP Photo/Mel Evans)

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    After posting this I have to wonder...... did he (the curator) intentionally try to look like a robber caught in the act on a security cam?
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Cool pic!
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    pssst....hey buddy, got any nice Victorian Crowns in those boxes for me?

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have been in the dungeon. I have a special patron card to access the university collection. The problem is you have to make an appointment and it has to fit his schedule. Very nice reference library. Check out their online collections. They are still photographing much of it, the pics are not that great, but it has some nice ancients. -Dan
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    By the way, I bet one of the students asked him a question as he was doing the interview and turned just as the photo was taken. He definitely moved around alot when I met him last year. -dan
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Princeton still own their US Collection?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Somebody needs to buy them some 2x2s and airtites. Looks like everything's in envelopes and wooden/cardboard boxes!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Somebody needs to buy them some 2x2s and airtites. Looks like everything's in envelopes and wooden/cardboard boxes! >>

Meh, I think they can buy their own. In fact, they should give this clown the boot, and hire me for $500k per year......I'd work real hard sorting and classifying those 80,000 coins. image

"Rich colleges pressed to share wealth with students Congress looks at endowments Sunday, March 09, 2008 BY ANA M. ALAYA Star-Ledger Staff Princeton University, with a $15.8 billion endowment, larger than the gross domestic product of Bolivia, is among an elite list of super-wealthy schools under pressure to justify how they spend their enormous wealth. "

• Options
    I'd do it for 50k and benefits. My kinda job - low stress, bring your work home with you, sell it on eBay.
  • Options
    Did I say that?
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    Im right down the street, I gotta get over there image