Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Interesting Stat on Set Completion %

gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just found this report on the set registry site:

Completion Percentage Report

I thought it was interesting that there are more sets that are complete or nearly complete than there are sets under 20% completion. I would have thought there would be a large percentage falling in the under 20% category as people register a few cards to take advantage of specials or as placeholders for future set building plans. I guess the annual removal of inactive sets may be the reason for keeping the lower % number down.

Comments

• That is pretty interesting. I would have guessed less then 10% 90-100% complete....that is not that easy on most sets people collect.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • That number reflects tons of team sets though right? So basically if somebody has a complete set, and then they also register each team set within it, the same cards get counted as 20+ completed sets.
  • I think I would more say you could register it as 20 plus sets, and the later sets as 30 plus sets, but not that everyone does or that it is the general rule.

Lets look at the Philadelphia Philles in the late 1970s Topps sets. There are several cool HOF'ers in the Phillies sets and I think most would agree carry above average interest.

1975 Topps Set, 10 completed, 20 total 90-100%
    1975 Topps Philadelphia Phillies Set, 1 completed, 2 total 90-100%

1976 Topps Set, 3 completed, 9 total 90-100%
    1976 Topps Philadelphia Phillies Set, 2 completed, 2 total 90-100%

1977 Topps Set, 0 completed, 3 total 90-100%
    1977 Topps Philadelphia Phillies Set, 0 completed, 0 total 90-100%

1978 Topps Set, 7 completed, 13 total 90-100%
    1978 Topps Philadelphia Phillies Set, 2 completed, 5 total 90-100%

1979 Topps Set, 1 completed, 1 90-100%
    1979 Philadelphia Phillies, 1 complete, 1 90-100% (Owned by a collector who collects Phillies cards)

So there are 46 possible Phillies 90-100% sets, and 10 registered. But looking closer at those 10, 4 are only by a single Phillies fan. If you take away those four, then out of 46 possible sets, only 6 are registered, or about 13%.

I am sure this would very for different team sets and different eras. There are likely a few with 90% sets, but less then 90% Phillies, and I am sure the other way as well, those with less then 90% total, but 90% or more of the Phillies cards.

If anyone else would like to take the time to make other comparisons I welcome it to get a better overall view.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    John- aren't sets that are under 20% completed dropped from the registry after 12 months of inactivity? That would account for some of the low numbers.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• gemintgemint Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anthony,

Yes, that was the only thing I could think of that could be causing the <20% sets to be relatively few.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Or most don't bother registering a set until they have a decent chunk of it.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's