Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS Submission Advice, Help ! ! !

I sent a submission of a box of ten 20th Anniversary Silver eagles and four 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagles. They both were eligible for First Strike grading.

Let me say up front that my sister ordered the box of Silver Eagles for me. Now this happened before most of us knew about keeping the boxes sealed. Well, when she shipped them to me she took them to a UPS Store where they removed the Mints label and replaced it with one to my address. They also added two more strips of clear tape to the box for more security in transport. My sister was present while this was done and the box was not opened. Under inspection of the box you could see that the original mint seal had not been broken.

I sent the Silver and Platinum sets together to PCGS in a larger box and about ten days later I received this email:

i>Lines 1 and 2 do not qualify for first strike or 20th anniversary because they did not arrive in a box sealed by the mint. Line 3 will only receive 20th anniversary. Also, the declared values for lines 5 and 6 are too high for modern service. Please reply to this email to process lines 1-3 under Modern service, and to process lines 5 and 6 under a new submission with regular service and to charge both totals to your MC.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Teresa Roushar
>Problem Orders Clerk

For the next ten days or so I called PCGS twice a day and only got a recording. I would say I left five voice mails over this time period. I then sent an e-mail and stated how many times I had attempted to reach them. Teresa called me the next morning and I explained the deal with my sister and asked her to Please take a closer look at the box. She said she would get back to me soon.

About two days later she sent me another e-mail that said that they had just determined that the box had been opened.

I replied within about an hour and asked her not to grade the coins but to return them in the Mint's box.

Very soon after this e-mail she told me that they could not return my set in the Mint's box because they had thrown the box out and no longer had it to return it to me.

Allright, What box did they check, and would you open and then discard it when a customer had issues with its state of being sealed?

PCGS says that the box must arrive sealed from the mint. Nothing has ever been said about the original label being intact because we all know that there is a shipping invoice in the box.

Any Ideas? Any Advice? Have any of you had this problem with PCGS ?

Sam

#1 COMPLETE MODERN COMM'S SET, #2 PROOF MODERN COMM'S, #1 1995-1996 OLYMPIC SET, PLUS , PLUS

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the mint's labels had been removed, it probably didn't occur to the PCGS folks to carefully inspect the package to confirm that the mint seal was still intact. Where did you put the submission form? Did you send everything in one package or did you put it all inside another box? Unless you did something to alert PCGS to take extra careful action I'd say yer SOL.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I hope this turns out well for you but I don't think it will as from my perspective, a "Mint Sealed" shipping box should have the actual label affixed to it. Otherwise, its just another box.

Yes, the packing/return slip within the container could have validated that the set was shipped before the First Strike™ cut off date but there is no way that PCGS could validate that the box was in fact the "original" shipping box.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well I hope this turns out well for you but I don't think it will as from my perspective, a "Mint Sealed" shipping box should have the actual label affixed to it. Otherwise, its just another box.

Yes, the packing/return slip within the container could have validated that the set was shipped before the First Strike™ cut off date but there is no way that PCGS could validate that the box was in fact the "original" shipping box. >>

I've heard it rumored that PCGS digitally records the opening of every package for liability reasons. You might be able to get them to review the opening of your package (and the removal of a packing slip).