Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Mea Culpa and the Law of Unintended Consequences

I rarely look at the weekly BST thread because I’ve almost never found anything of interest there. This week I did, and I regret it very much.

Lacking a trading frame of mind, I didn’t think about the special characteristics of that thread, so when I saw a coin that I didn’t think much of being offered as something special I posted a critical question.

To make a long story short, the situation deteriorated into something much more common in the US Coins forum than this one. When a PM of mine was mis-characterized in the public thread I should have simply ignored it, but instead I responded in detail.

As a former moderator of another popular forum, I should have known better.

My sincere apologies to everyone who was offended. I’ll do my best to avoid a recurrence.
Roy

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I almost replied to thread in the BST but decided against it.

Your sincere apology shows you really have class.

This post is why I love the Darkside and everyone here so much.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Let me be the first to say that you are a standup guy. I know that you did not intend it to come across as it did. Sometimes these things just seem to happen. - Dan
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see you and coinpictures really demonstrate the darkside spirit and make up. I don't know either of you very well outside of your posts, but I haven't gotten the feeling that either one of you is particularly wretched. You'd never (or rarely) see any two folks on the US forum make things nice after a blowup, but I hope that could happen here.
  • Options
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like to see you and coinpictures really demonstrate the darkside spirit and make up. I don't know either of you very well outside of your posts, but I haven't gotten the feeling that either one of you is particularly wretched. You'd never (or rarely) see any two folks on the US forum make things nice after a blowup, but I hope that could happen here. >>

No problem on my end. image
    Roy

• Options
    I, on occasion DO read the BST on the darkside (every week) and I do read the posts of all other things as well when time permits. I read more than I post and I appreciate all the posts that I read... I didn't feel offended on the comment of the toning on the 1000 yen and actualy appreciated the up front forwardness from a fellow collector. Maybe I am one of those oddballs that likes a blast white beauty that looks like it was minted yesterday instead of being "toned" by time. I have a PCGS PR64CAM 1/2 German half mark 300187.64/600005589 that every time I look at it, I want to crack it out and dip it because to me it is just not eye pleasing.

Satootoko and Coinpictures YOU have BOTH posted many times with information that I found helpful. Let's all make up and be freinds again

I think the Mona Lisa is a so-so painting by a mediocre artist... I wouldn't pay 20 bucks for it, after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Your sincere apology shows you really have class.

This post is why I love the Darkside and everyone here so much.

I'd like to suggest to go back to the BST thread and edit these posts if the interested parties agree to it, including mine on the second page.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    My suggestions is that you ALL go back into the BST thread and edit your post. They look bad for those lurking and wanting to purchase from one of us. I think it is great we can all sing "Kum by ya" but now we need to clean up the mess... I hadn't read the BST thread until I saw this post and when I did I thought I was on the lightside. Although I must say it was VERY entertaining! image
    Todd
  • Options
    As long as I have been on this board I have found that Roy is indeed a class act - I hope that this misunderstanding will be recognized as just that .

Discussions and differences of opinion are what makes for interesting dialog on these pages, I hope that doesn't change.

Shep
  • Options
    Awww he's a mean old grouch image - and if I didn't like him so dang much I wouldn't say that image
    knowledge ........ share it
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I rarely look at the weekly BST thread because I’ve almost never found anything of interest there. This week I did, and I regret it very much.

Lacking a trading frame of mind, I didn’t think about the special characteristics of that thread, so when I saw a coin that I didn’t think much of being offered as something special I posted a critical question.

To make a long story short, the situation deteriorated into something much more common in the US Coins forum than this one. When a PM of mine was mis-characterized in the public thread I should have simply ignored it, but instead I responded in detail.

As a former moderator of another popular forum, I should have known better.

My sincere apologies to everyone who was offended. I’ll do my best to avoid a recurrence. >>

I didn't see the thread in question and am not sure of how bad your transgression was but
    can assure you that to my mind you have a lot of "credit" already accumulated against any
    sort of bad behavior.

It appears that all's well that ends well, anyway.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your sincere apology shows you really have class.

This post is why I love the Darkside and everyone here so much. >>

imageimage

Now that the Darkside is a little bigger than it was in the old days, it seems we're no longer immune to the occasional brush fire which threatens to develop into a flame war.

I'm happy to see, however, that Darksiders have enough class not to let those brush fires rage on unchecked, as our more fractious Liteside brethren might have.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.