Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

OK anything of interest here?

Sorry I am going thru alot of world coins.

I know zero about, is there anything here worth anything?

Thanks Rob

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Canadian 1910 5c is worth about $4 if the coin is round, looks oval in the photo. The British 1876 1d is a commom 4/$1 coin. The Mexican looks fake to me but I could be very wrong on that. I'll have someone else chime in on that one.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    That penny is a keeper! It has definitely been in someones pocket a looonnnngg time. I bet it would get a low grade if one was collecting p01 slabbed coins. The Mexican piece looks real, but it appears all have been around pvc. -Dan
  • The Mex 50c had a mintage of 59,000 at the Hermosillo mint (Ho) and lists at $15 in Fine, $30 in VF (.3930 ASV). Looks real to me.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Mex 50c had a mintage of 59,000 at the Hermosillo mint (Ho) and lists at $15 in Fine, $30 in VF (.3930 ASV). Looks real to me. >>

Ok the piece actually has some decent color to it. I simply cannot capture it.

• holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    What does the LEY stand for or mean on the 50 centavos?

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LEY = "law", in Spanish.

I agree that the Mexican looks genuine, and both it and the Canadian 5c are silver, as probably mentioned.

The British penny is in too low a grade to be worth much monetarily as-is, but as ormandh said, it's fun for a pocket piece or a lowball collection. There a lot of those "Slick Vics" out there. They circulated until the late 1960s. What is neat about them is that the date was in a recessed area and protected from wear, which is the opposite of a lot of Canadian coins and US pieces like the Buffalo nickels and Standing Liberty quarters, which had their dates on the highest point of the coin, where it usually wore off. "Slick Vics" are fun because even the smoothest and slickest ones still often have a readable date. (I've got one or two that were too slick even for that, though!)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.