Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

NP - French Medals - Any Info ???

I just purchased these two medals and was hoping someone could fill me in on the specifics behind them. I bought them because I liked them, but am unsure of value. Thanks.

Comments

• StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some info on the 1st one:

Random Google Hit:
    Object: Medal Creator: Ch. Pillet Description: 68mm diameter bronze metal commemorating the heros of Verdun. Features a full frontal image of Joan standing, holding a sword with a figure of a woman to her left holding a staff and a branch. There is a very low relief behind the figures of a city. In the foreground is an eagle in flight, wearing a crown and carrying a sword in its talons. Inscription is “Verdun. On ne passé pas MCMXVI”. Verso: 3 portraits, at the top is General Petain, General Nivelle, and General de Curifres de Castelnau, with an inscription in the center that reads “La gloire des héros de Verdun MCMXVI” with Olive branches and war medals underneath.

and from ANS Database:
    Region: France Locality: Mint:
    Material: AE Denom.:
    Weight: Size: 68 Axis:
    Date: / Era: Date on Obj.: 1916
    Category: Person: ||||||||||||||||||| Dynasty: Issuer:
    ObvLegd: A LA GLOIRE DES HEROS DE VERDUN MCMXVI
    ObvType: medallions of generals Petain, Nivelle & Castelnau
    RevLegd: VERDUN ON NE PASSE PAS MCMXVI
    RevType: two females, one with flag another with sword take guard against German eagle
    PrevColl.: Brenner, V.D.

Can't help with value atm, I'll keep looking. - Found one on Hong Kong eBay sold for $41 US

Here is the ANS entry for #2

0000.999.52178: Dept.: ME Obj.Type: ME Reference: |||||||||||||||||||
    Region: France Locality: Paris Mint:
    Material: AE Denom.:
    Weight: Size: 69 Axis:
    Date: / Era: Date on Obj.: 1902
    Category: Person: ||||||||||||||||||| Dynasty: Issuer:
    ObvLegd:
    ObvType: Paris consulting a doctor who is tending to a patient
    RevLegd: CENTENAIRE DE L'INTERNAT EN MEDICINE ET EN CHIRURGIE:HOPITAUX CIVILS DE PARIS
    RevType: grace lighting a flame over a medical student
    PrevColl.:
    Color: UnderType: CounterStamp:
    Publication: Symbols:
    OtherInfo.:

A google hit on #2:
    Subject: Hopitaux Civilis de Paris
    Occassion: Centennial Celebration
    Size: 68mm
    OBV: Female, erect, to left with mural crown addressing seated intern, who supports in his lap the head of a man reclining upon stretcher. At rear, Notre Dame and the Façade of the old Ecole de Medecine. Signed, incused, LOVIS BOTTEE
    Rev: CENTENAIRE DE L'INTERNAT EN MEDECINE ET EN CHIRURGIE / HOPITAUX CIVILIS DE PARIS. To left, AN / X / 1902 Upon side of table, incused, EXEMPALIRE / DE / COLLECTION Signed, incused, L. Bottee

Neat medals, I prefer #1 myself, but both are a-ok.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Wow, thank you very much. Strangely, the info you had for the top medal says bronze but mine is in silver. It is also marked on the side Argent. Did they restrike these kinds of medals alot. They look to me to be totally original, but Im not an expert. And I agree, the design on the first is absolutely stunning, and the relief is very impressive. Thanks.
  • StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the silver version, that particular Google page i copied was from the Boston Public Library's Joan of Arc collection, so they apparently only have the bronze one. Both ANS entries are "AE" - Bronze as well.

I'm sure someone will be by with more info (ie. actually "knowing") than I can find searching.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 1st medal is fantastic. Mind saying what it cost? Interested in selling it? image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both very cool, but the first one is sensational.

I like your "bought 'em 'cause I liked 'em" philosophy. That's what's fun about exonumia sometimes.

I just did that with a few pieces. They were interesting, so I bought them. Not to keep, but for resale. I am gambling that somebody else will find them interesting like I did, and hopefully find them worth a tiny bit more than I paid for them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice medals!! Sorry, I can't give any real feedback. They are nice and had they been put in front of me I would have bought them myself. Enjoy!image -Dan