Home Sports Talk
Options

This is when you know Tiger Woods is on his game.

When his opponents throw everything including the Stewart Cink at him and he still wins easily!

Come on, give me a rim shot! You know you laughed!

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭

not bad though!

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Is Woods that good, or is the competition that crappy? Arnold had to fight Jack and Jack had to fight Watson and Watson had to
    fight Greg Norman....who else is there today? Lefty shows up once a year, and after that there are a bunch of hacks.

Too bad, I would love to see Tiger with some decent competition!

JS
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Golf isn't an actual competition where your competitor can "keep" you from scoring. Tiger has broken alot of course and scoring records during his run, I don't think having tougher competition would have kept him from winning when he shot the lowest score ever in the tournament.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    I agree. Here is the list of competitors that Jack battled over the course of his career:

Arnold Palmer - 7 majors
    Ben Hogan (was on the downside of his career, but still great)
    Sam Snead (same as Hogan)
    Lee Trevino - 6 majors
    Tom Watson - 8 majors
    Greg Norman - 2 majors
    Johnny Miller - 2 majors
    Tom Weiskopf - 1 major
    Gary Player - 9 major
    Peter Thomson (Never heard of him? He won 5 majors from 1954-65).
    Seve Ballesteros - 5 majors
    Ray Floyd - 4 majors
    Julius Boros - 3 majors
    Billy Casper - 3 majors
    Hale Irwin - 3 majors
    Larry Nelson - 3 majors
    Ben Crenshaw, David Graham, Hubert Green, Tony Jacklin, Andy North, Dave Stockton, Fuzzy Zoeller - 2 majors each

Tiger's competitors:

Els, Singh, and Mickelson - 3 majors each.
    Daly, Goosen, Olazabal, and friggin Lee Janzen - 2 majors each.
    Crickets. No one else has won more than one in the Tiger era.

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options

<< <i> Golf isn't an actual competition where your competitor can "keep" you from scoring. Tiger has broken alot of course and scoring records during his run, I don't think having tougher competition would have kept him from winning when he shot the lowest score ever in the tournament. >>

I agree. One can say poor competition is more of the case when one talks about roger federer. Or the patriots. or any sport where it pits one person/team against another person/team.

with golf, it's as much as the course itself as the opponent(s). Maybe even more so. A player's/team's score is more of a function of his/their opponent in most other sports. It is less so in golf. Tiger is "facing" opponents, yes, but he's also facing the course. that really cant be said for most sports.

When an athlete dominates a sport like tiger has in the past decade, sports fans tend to label the era as "no competition." People said that about the Bulls in the 90's...federer and the patriots today. The underdog becomes the top dog...and sports fans, no matter how nice or skilled the guy/team is, will tend to root against the top dog just to see something new.

would tiger have less tour wins if hogan, palmer, nelson and all the other greats were his competition today? sure. but, he still would rack up plenty of wins given the course records he has set in the past 10 years. let's not take that away from him by using "no competition" as an excuse.
  • Options
    no one else can win majors if tigers got them all
  • Options
    His line of gatorade is pretty good, I had the purple kind yesterday.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is Woods that good, or is the competition that crappy? Arnold had to fight Jack and Jack had to fight Watson and Watson had to
    fight Greg Norman....who else is there today? Lefty shows up once a year, and after that there are a bunch of hacks.

Too bad, I would love to see Tiger with some decent competition!

JS >>

The lefty with man-breasts puts up a fight once in a while. But that's pretty much it.
  • Options
    baseball------------ YOU NAILED IT!!!! Additionally, if TIGER was to play in the 1955-1985 time frame, he WINS MORE MAJORS------ 40 instead of the 25 he will likely win now. NICKLAUS------ I watched him in his prime, in person, and he was special. BUT, IN THIS TIME FRAME , WITH TIGER and current competition, he wins fewer than 18 MAJORS.
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)