Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

New Set Registry Idea: Autographed Team Sets

I started getting bored with my team sets as I need a few cards (1 for 72, 5 for 61) in my Pirates team sets I am working on and decided to start duplicating the sets in autographed format. I already had picked up a duel autographed 61 Buc Hills Aces card with Law's and Face's autos about 5 years ago and recently picked up 5 more including a Mazeroski auto'd WS game 7 card. I will post scans if anyone wants to see.

Some are already in PSA authentic holders but most are raw but from proven honest dealers or aquired by me in person. I have never submitted to PSA/DNA so I have a few questions from you guys that have.

1. Can I even register cards that are just autographed authenticated and encapsulated (no assigned grade)?
2. If I can register them what is their default grade?
3. When I submit to PSA/DNA how do I tell them to grade the cards as well? How do you figure out the total cost for both? Does it require filling out 2 forms?
4. What is the cheapest way to submit to PSA/DNA, meaning do they charge more money based on auto value or by player?

Obviously getting a Clemente in either year would require some funds and patience probably beyond me but I can dream big. I think having both sets displayed side by side would be fun.

Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    good idea

I am working on the 55 topps dodgers auto set, down to 2 $$$ ones

Hodges and Robinson
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Check out the Football -> Key Card sets on the registry. There are sets created of the All Time Teams in autgraphed form, that should give you an idea of how others are doing those sets. I know there is an All Time Dophins Autographs set and some All Time Quarterbacks and Running Backs autographed sets guys are putting together as well.
  • Options
    MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I will check them out! I would like to register it in the same place as my team set just so it will look cool next to all the 1961 topps set guys who just register their team sets for fun.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, I will check them out! I would like to register it in the same place as my team set just so it will look cool next to all the 1961 topps set guys who just register their team sets for fun. >>

That's a great idea! I'm the person who requested the all time and team auto'd sets and would love to add more if I had the time. Then again, it does get expensive paying $20 per card to have PSA/DNA authenticated.....which is a deterrent from building auto'd sets on a large scale.

Rgs,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options
    I thought about the same thing for player sets. I have completed my Jim Palmer basic set a while ago and am now trying to build an autographed basic set. To me, it just sounded like a fun extension of the set. I also collect autographed cards for my 1971 Topps baseball set.

Here is my Palmer auto basic set so far:

Palmer Auto Basic Set

Regards,
    Mike
  • Options
    I've been doing this with my Angels collection. If you look under Angels team sets for 1963,1964,1965,1968,1969 you will see a few sets that I have started. Something fun to do on the side.

Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I am doing this for the Redskins and Steelers All Time Rookie sets. Not expecting to ever finish it, but don't see what I couldn't get most of the signed cards for the 60s on.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    Great Idea. I was a big fan of the early 70's Knick Teams and the challenge is to get players signatures that are not Hall Of famers or Stars but were very important to the team and fan favorites. For theses teams players like Mike Riordan,Dave Stallworth, Phil Jackson,Cazzie Russell etc.
  • Options
    I just started putting together my 1981 Los Angeles Dodgers World Championship Autograph Set! image

So far, I've got 5 cards....only about 20-something to go.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I have a Seattle Pilots Auto set listed in the regular team set area....
    SEATTLE PILOTS AUTO SET

Also have all JC Martin cards signed which I will submit someday to parallel my JC Martin Basic set.
    JC Martin Player Set

I had started an auto listed set with a 1964 PSA/DNA card...but I guess my inactivity on it got it removed...
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    Yeah, I like the idea. I'm starting to build a Reds set.
    WTB:
    CINCINNATI REDS
    1976 - 1991 - Topps PSA 10
    1983 & 1985 Fleer PSA 10
    1985 Donruss PSA 10
    Blue Ink Signed Topps Cards
    Game-Used Bats/Jerseys
    OPC PSA 10
    MC & OC Cards

OTHER:
    Eric Davis Anything
    Votto, Willingham, Cantu, Doumit, Gomes
    Baron Davis Game Used Jersey
  • Options
    Hey Mike congrats on the auto'd Palmer RC that is really nice. Anyone get both grade and auto?
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    looks like I am going to have to cross all these at some point

need just a couple more, a very looong term project
  • Options
    This is a great idea, I've started 1985 Topps Bears set...
  • Options
    Funny I need Clem Labine and Don Hoak for my 61 Pirates team set. Those 55's are great. Crossing over will be expensive. Is it a 20$ flat fee or is it based on value of the auto? That Billy Herman might grade decent if it's not trimmed.
  • Options
    Had this pop today. You can't register your auto team sets in the same registry as regular team sets without the number grade. This card has both players auto on it. I have 9 cards autoed from this team set now image.

1 1 14085731 VERY GOOD 3 1961 TOPPS 250 BUC HILL ACES PSA/DNA CERTIFIED Card US

• Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    All my Pilots Autos are just Authentic without grade and are in team set registry. They just have to be the Red Flips, not the Blue Flips
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    Can you get the blues turned into reds?
  • Options
    mcholkemcholke Posts: 1,000 ✭✭

<< <i>Can you get the blues turned into reds? >>

For $20. I tried to convert straight over but PSA charges you to change. You cannot add the blue PSA/DNA cards to registry sets either.

I have a Tony Perez autograph basic set in progress as well. Here is the link
    Perez Autograph set

Collecting Tony Perez PSA and Rookie Baseball PSA

• Options
    That is pretty sweet! I am starting one with Mike Webster