Home Sports Talk
Options

If sports is just a "product".....

The term "product" is used a lot in both college and the pros sports teams these days in describing what they are selling to fans, doesn't it seem that if it is a "product" that certain players and coaches should have an expiration date for playing especially if it is obvious they are past their prime and should be discarded.?

I would love to see a sports reporter ask that question to a coach the next time they use the "product" cliche in an interview.

"So tell me, since you are selling a product who on your team do your think is past their expiration date and should be tossed out?"

I'll bet that question would really catch them off guard, I would love to see the reaction.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think the term product is a slight on a player, what I understand of its meaning is a player is a product of their great training/learning/tradition of a famed school IE: take Michigan for example-what would hold more value a Product of the Michigan Football program or a product from eastern Valley Forge Football football program. ( not sure there is such a school! )

Maybe Im missing your point but I see the term that way...
  • Options
    I have a problem with the term product, it is of course a team effort and the end result of what they do is looked upon
    as a "product" but the term still seems degrading in some way both to the individual and the team as a whole. Sports at the college
    and pro level is big business and I think that is how the "product" term worked its way into the sports vocabulary but I still find myself
    cringing when a coach or player uses that term in a TV interview. Maybe I take it too seriously.