Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1906 A Prussian 20 Mark fake!!!?

I bought this sometime last year and was taking pics of it today and noticed it looked strange for some reason.Then I started comparing to other examples. Notice the ear and the mintmark. The mintmark looks crappy and the ear has no detail on the inside. It has edge lettering. -Dan

Comments

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Definitely looks wrong in several areas image . -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fake.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I bought it from a reputable dealer last year when gold was @ $600. I hope he will buy it back. -Dan
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do you have a scale? I would weigh the coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it definitely looks way off. The lettering isn't right. The eagle's face looks squashed-in.

I hope you can get your money back, or that at least it has the proper gold weight so you can ride the bullion train upward with it.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It weighs 7.9 g., I can't get 1/100ths on this scale. The weight should be 7.9650 g. Is it possible that it could have been a pattern? I am stabbing, but it is worth a shot. -dan
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it looks like the weight is pretty close.

A pattern? I dunno. That seems a bit of a longshot to hope for, and I rather doubt it, but boy, wouldn't that be nice.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.