Home Sports Talk
Options

Where's Barry? Poll inside!

Any chance Bonds will get signed for the upcoming season?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think an AL team might take a flyer on him as an injury replacement or maybe for an extra bat on the bench. I assume he will have to realize that no team is going to throw 15+ million at him though regardless of the situation. Id take him in a Boston Uniform for short money...
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭
    Perk,
    You would really want Bonds on the Sox? Not me. What would they do with him, other than give Ortiz a break once in awhile. I really hope that never happens. He's not worthy.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt be surprised if he signed up with the A's for cheap $$. His goal now is to reach 800 HR's I believe. I bet he prays to God every night that ARod has a career ending injury.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    I'll predict that Barry logs zero plate appearances in 2008. Though if I had things my way, he'd get about 500 because to me, it still about entertainment.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options

<< <i>Perk,
    You would really want Bonds on the Sox? Not me. What would they do with him, other than give Ortiz a break once in awhile. I really hope that never happens. He's not worthy. >>

For a bench player- yes. Providing he keeps his mouth shut and doesnt act like a jerk ofcourse, who can hit HR's from our bench????
  • Options
    I would be surprised if any team signed him with the federal charges he is facing and when that situation most likely heats up later this year
    it is bound to be a distraction to whatever team he is on with reporters wanting to get comments from other players all the time about
    Barry. While he might contribute to a team is it worth the inevitable sideshow circus?
  • Options
    Bottom9thBottom9th Posts: 2,695 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Perk,
    You would really want Bonds on the Sox? Not me. What would they do with him, other than give Ortiz a break once in awhile. I really hope that never happens. He's not worthy. >>

For a bench player- yes. Providing he keeps his mouth shut and doesnt act like a jerk ofcourse, who can hit HR's from our bench???? >>

Okay you got me there, I just don't think the chemistry would work by any stretch. Maybe Sean Casey will hit 5-6 HRs, which is probably more than Mirabelli.
    A local paper here said the Rays might be interested. That would certainly put some fans in the seats, but I will believe it when I see it.
  • Options
    somebody will sign him he puts fans in the seats
  • Options

<< <i>somebody will sign him he puts fans in the seats >>

A desperate team like the Rays appears to be where he is headed.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    I wish the Royals would sign him, but he would cost more than their entire payroll.
  • Options

<< <i>Providing he keeps his mouth shut and doesnt act like a jerk ofcourse >>

That would never happen. Regardless of how many fans he'd bring, he's simply bad for baseball.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Providing he keeps his mouth shut and doesnt act like a jerk ofcourse >>

That would never happen. Regardless of how many fans he'd bring, he's simply bad for baseball. >>

The glare of the media in a big market like Boston, New York or Chicago would not be good for Bonds or the team.
    It would not take long before he made enemies with some sports writer or broadcaster and things would turn ugly pretty quickly
    I would imagine. The same thing could happen in a smaller market too of course but probably wouldn't attract as much attention
    around the country.
  • Options
    he might draw 10,000 fans a game....just to come watch and BOO! image

plus, he can hit behind carlos pena!
  • Options
    Selig: No ban on Bonds; decision on Clemens up to Astros
    March 1, 2008
    CBSSports.com wire reports

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- Bud Selig says he isn't trying to keep Barry Bonds out of baseball, and the commissioner told the Houston Astros it's up to them whether to have Roger Clemens in their spring training camp.

Advertisement

Selig made the comments in an informal meeting Saturday with reporters at Scottsdale Stadium, where the San Francisco Giants played the Oakland Athletics.

He also confirmed that he met with Giants owner Peter Magowan and that Major League Baseball investigators spoke with the team's general manager, Brian Sabean, about the findings in the Mitchell Report on drugs.

Selig and Magowan sat together for the Cactus League game.

The commissioner declined to offer any other information on the talks but said he still hopes to decide on any punishment as a result of the report by the end of spring training.

"The conversations go on and I said I was going to handle all this on a case-by-case basis," Selig said. "These are very sensitive matters."

Bonds, who passed Hank Aaron to become baseball's home run king last season, was indicted by a federal grand jury on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice. The indictment accuses him of lying to a grand jury investigating the Bay Area Laboratory Cooperative's involvement in the distribution of steroids and other illegal performance-enhancing substances.

After 15 seasons with San Francisco, Bonds was not re-signed by the Giants after last season and has not hooked on with another club. He has denied ever knowingly using steroids or other illegal performance enhancers.

Selig said he has a personal opinion on whether Bonds should be in baseball, but he would keep it to himself.

"Every club is free to do whatever they want with whom," said Selig, adding that he had not read Bonds' grand jury testimony that was ordered released by a judge on Friday.

When asked if it was appropriate for Clemens to be in Astros camp, Selig said: "I have said to (owner) Drayton McLane and the Houston club that that's a decision they have to make."

Clemens has appeared at the Astros' spring training workouts in Florida, sometimes throwing batting practice to minor leaguers, but has not signed to pitch for any team this season. He does have a 10-year personal services contract with the Astros that starts when he retires.

In the Mitchell Report, Clemens' former personal trainer, Brian McNamee, said he injected the seven-time Cy Young Award winner with steroids and human growth hormone -- a charge the pitcher has vehemently denied.

The FBI has opened a probe to determine whether Clemens or McNamee lied in recent testimony to Congress.

Clemens told a House committee that he had never used steroids or HGH. McNamee testified that he injected the pitcher with the drugs.

While not speaking specifically about the Giants, Selig indicated he did not believe any team had been unfairly singled out in the Mitchell Report.

"George Mitchell talked to every team, many owners, almost every general manager," Selig said. "Whatever he came up with, he came up with, but he had access to everybody. He didn't need subpoena power there."

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2007-2008, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved
  • Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    As usual Selig shows he has the backbone of a jellyfish, but what can you expect from a commissioner who serves at the will
    of the owners he is supposed to be setting policy for?
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Interesting.
    No Barry yet.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who gives a $%&#*& is winning! image