Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Anyone else see anything different with ebay listings?

I don't know about overall numbers, and I don't know how this week normally runs but....

I have noticed a decrease in the items I look for. Normally when I do my Sunday morning ebay I've usually looked in the afternoon or early evening on Saturday (no I don't have a life). Come Sunday it's usually more like 48,000 auctions (as I recall) and today it looks closer to 40,000 for world coins. Next I look for NGC slabs listed (I'm tired of buying raw on ebay). The overall number of those isn't so off (it's around 600, which is within normal ranges) but what I noticed is the NEW auctions listed since yesterday afternoon don't even fill a page--especially after ignoring the 'featured' ones at the top. In fact if only Centles (who sent out an email touting overstock.com so I was suprised by his new listings) and NEN hadn't been listing, then it was WAY down from my normal Sunday morning, pre-dog-walk perusal. The anacs, icg and pcgs numbers also seem low.

Where I'm REALLY seeing the difference though is exonumia. I remember the numbers better for these as opposed to the world coins. Keywords I've been searching lately are baby, child, deco, nouveau, horse and dog (and the occasional medalist's name). These are off by 20-40%. "Nouveau" often runs close to or a little over 100 hits and it's at 65 right now. "Deco" is usually in the 50s to 60s and is sitting at 35. "Dog" usually gets around 80 and it's at 50. "Horse" around 100, it's at 87 thanks to a large bunch of geocoins. "Child" normally is around upper 40s to 50s and it's at 33 and "baby" normally sits around 40, and it's at 25.

What are other people seeing?

Cathy

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    I have been checking the #s. The first of last week's totals were 295,000 in the coins and currency auctions. It slowly dropped to 235,000. It is starting to go back up though. I have not checked it today, but last night it was 245,000. -dan
  • I have only one search, British coins-see all items. These have consistantly been running at around 16,000 now since the Christmas drop off.
  • sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    I think sellers are really looking at
    items less than $10 and combining them - lowering total auctions

• coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Could be residual effects of "the eBay boycott". Time will tell if its a downward trend.

I expect the big downward shift to occur in May when the feedback and PayPal policies change. Then you'll see a mass exodus of small sellers... ironically, it will be PowerSellers like centsles that remain...
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Found this chart on the Liteside

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice chart. It suggests that there hasn't been any significant drop off in listings. That spike no doubt was the 20c listing day. There was a little drop on 2/21. Was that the boycott date?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don