Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

OT.......... My new Camera

I have heard that this is a nice camera. I have been without a cam for many months since mine went for a swim and since it is my birthday today I got it for me.

I haven't received it yet and I think I may have to buy another lens to get good photos of my coins, I am not sure.

An comments/advice on the camera would be appreciated.
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    Looks like a nice one Wayne!
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday, Wayne! I hope you enjoy your new camera.

imageimageimage

PS: thought about using the new toy at any Scandinavian car shows this summer? image I still would like to hook up with you if you can get to one this summer.
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I purchased this Camera recently, and although it won't take as sharp of pictures as a DSLR, for the price, it's pretty good.

Using the included Remote Capture software is a must for nice Coin pics, and it easy. Just a USB cable to the computer.

There definitely is some tricks to getting a correct Macro focus on a coin Slab...when the time comes, just ask.

-Jeff
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Wayne, that is the very model of camera I use, I can not say enough good about it!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    happy birthday Wayne!!!
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! Canon makes a very good product. I use the Rebel xti and also use the remote capture. I really makes the job easier. -Dan
  • Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    I just took this Photo with my Powershot S5

• Options
    Hey old moldy monarh........... I have seen some of your coin photos recentlt and they look grea.

Did you need to get a different lens to get those shots?
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I think you're gonna love that camera!!! image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Thanks. I have heard a lot of good things about it.
    As I said before i am not sure if i will need to get another lens for good coin pics and would need to read up on what to get anyway
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Wow dandy looking camera can't wait to see more shots!
  • Options

<< <i>Hey old moldy monarh........... I have seen some of your coin photos recentlt and they look grea.

Did you need to get a different lens to get those shots? >>

I am using the stock lens with a UV filter, nothing fancy. I believe the key is in the lighting, not the camera (not to suggest that I have unlocked that door yet).

Here is a photo I took just the other night:

Here is another:

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>I have heard that this is a nice camera. I have been without a cam for many months since mine went for a swim and since it is my birthday today I got it for me.

I haven't received it yet and I think I may have to buy another lens to get good photos of my coins, I am not sure.

An comments/advice on the camera would be appreciated.
    image >>

Nice Camera!

One thing Powershots do not have interchangeable lenses. They only have the option of a Teleconverter Lens. Basically an add on to it's existing lens.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    I was looking at a Nikon SLR, when I decided to go in this direction. These cameras are one step below an SLR and Cosmic is correct, they are fixed lens with the option of add-on lens and filters if you buy a converter.

As someone who will never be a serious photographer, I think this is where I wanted to be.

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com