Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS Guaranatee on Variety Coins

Can anyone help me with this question. I recently submitted my group of 1972 Double Die Mint error PCGS holdered
Lincoln cents for Attribution and reholdering with the new attribution numbers for entering into my Variety Registry.
My 1972 DDO#4 which was slabbed by PCGS as a Die #4 in a Mint Error Slab has been reslabbed as a Die 7. The
coin was originally a SEGS crossover into the PCGS slab at the same grade as the SEGS MS-65 RED. I am happy with
the 65 RED for the Die #7 Pop top 1/0. I feel that PCGS errored in slabbing the coin the first time as a Die#4 and should
have left the coin in the SEGS holder as a Die #4 if they didn't see it the first time around. I believe the difference in
the value of the two different Dies is quite a large difference, as the Die #4 is much rarer in any grade. Any thoughts or
comments are all appreciated. Mike.

New Slab

Old Slab

Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
myurl

Comments

• commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭
    If it is worth less now, they should pay you the difference. If I'm reading it right, it sounds like their mistake the first time around and they discovered it the second time. I don't know if they guarantee the varieties, but if they do, they should pay.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Here is a link to check out (next to last paragraph). Send a PM to BJ and she will probably put you in contact with the right person (this lady is always helpfull and a pleasure to deal with).
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definetly take it to PCGS and discuss with them.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Thanks TA Clough and Watersport I took your advise and sent BJ a message to get the coin reveiwed as I think that
    it is a true Die#4 going by the Photo's in the Cherrypickers'Guide Fourth Edition Volume ONE as the Photo's I also
    sent will show that on a Die#4 the Doubling is more evident on the motto on In God We than on Trust that is very
    Doubled on a Die#7.
    Photo of Motto:

On Date of a Die#4 the 2 is doubled at the bottom of the digit where on a Die#7 the Top Lower portion of the 2 is doubled.
    Photo of Date:

At the Liberty along the rim a Rim Cud is in evident but on my Photo isn't showing as the Plastic is covering most of it up.
    Photo of Liberty:

These Photo's are a showing that PCGS should have someone in attribution get the BOOK out when examining a
    RARE Die Variety, or is it just another way to get more of MY Green to have to have it reattributed a Third Time to get the
    True Designation on the Slab? image
    Oh Well the JOYof one who is truly being treated like a KING in the Hobby of the KINGS.
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rabbit:
    Unfortuately I have high power pics of thses diagnotics, but of course..my computer is down and I am on a old back up!
    I got my Die 4 and Die 7 laid out side by side and confirm all you said, the book shows, etc,. so you are CORRECT that its a die 4. Like yours, the cud (which does NOT have to be on the rim) is also covered up. Which tells me if they looked at the coin in your old holder, and never saw it, they my have defaulted to a die #7. But STIL, the doubling on the IGWT is NOT a die 7. One other item is the I in liberty on the die 7 I am show significant doubling right down the middle.

Keep us posted!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.