Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

At the risk of sounding stupid, 1954 Topps White Backs?

Maybe I've been under a rock or something here, but . . .

I've been working on a 1954 Topps PSA set since 2002. I look at ebay almost daily for what's out there. For the first time ever, I'm now seeing 1954 Topps with "white back" designations, such as this one:

When did this start? I knew the 1956's had some back variances (and by the way I've noticed that PSA has begun labelling these as well), but I did not know 1954's had back variances. Is a 1954 Topps Master set on the horizon? Man I sure hope not.

All feedback is appreciated.

-Tom

Comments

• Options
    As a person who likes to learn about all sportcards, wether I collect them or not, can you expain what "white back" means? Possibly show scans of a white back and a regular back? Thanks.
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Nathan,

In the 1956 Topps set, for example, certain cards were available with both gray and white backs. Similarly, in 1952, card #'s 1-80 could be found with both red and black colored backs, and they are widely recognized as different variations. A 1952 Master set requires 2 instances of cards 1-80, one with each color back.

I wasn't aware of any back variations on the 1954 Topps set. Here is a scan of the Williams card (I took the scans from a current ebay auction):

The back is clearly white. My question is, does Ted come with another colored back?

-Tom
  • Options
    So the "white" or "red" or whatever is a reference for the "majority" color on the backside? Wether it is the stock cardboard color or if there is so much ink printed on the backside that a particular color dominates?
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    1954 Topps: According to Dick Gilkeson, author of "Baseball Card Variation Book," cards 1 to 50 come with gray backs printed in Canada rather than the white backs printed in the USA.

Props to Dave Hornish and his Baseball card variation site.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    I can't speak of the 54s, but the 56s with variation listed on the flip just appeared within the last week or so. The 1956 pop report is even seperating by white back and gray back now.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options

<< <i>So the "white" or "red" or whatever is a reference for the "majority" color on the backside? Wether it is the stock cardboard color or if there is so much ink printed on the backside that a particular color dominates? >>

Here is a an example of a 1952 Topps Red Back. It is not the best example, because it is the back of a Mantle, and he is only available with a red back. But #'s 1-80 have the identical red backs, plus they have backs that are identical except for all of the red is black.

Hope this makes sense.

-Tom

• Options
    I'm not sure on the backs on the '54's, but that card should be designated "Ted's brim put on with a sharpie." That looks weird.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure on the backs on the '54's, but that card should be designated "Ted's brim put on with a sharpie." That looks weird. >>

That does look odd, just the way it came out in the scan??
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm not sure on the backs on the '54's, but that card should be designated "Ted's brim put on with a sharpie." That looks weird. >>

That does look odd, just the way it came out in the scan?? >>

I don't know if it's the scan or not, but the left side of his brim doesn't even look like it's connected to the hat part.
    "I've never been able to properly explain myself in this climate" -Raul Duke

ebay i.d. clydecoolidge - Lots of vintage stars and HOFers, raw, condition fully disclosed.
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    To my knowledge, that Williams card only comes with the back in the scan. Who is our 54 expert on these boards? I think we all would have known a variation on such an important card. My guess is PSA "overlabeled" it. That almost sounded like Clemens- Andy misremembers.
    Mickey71image
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    According to The baseball card variation book, cards 1 thru 50 come with a gray back.

The cards were printed in Canada

Thus cards printed in the US are white backs.

IMO only the gray backs should be labeled
    however maybe PSA is now labeling both white and gray.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    There are no color variations in the 1954 TOPPS set according to statiticians, this is simply a mis labeled card that should have a (OF) out of focus designation.image
  • Options

<< <i>There are no color variations in the 1954 TOPPS set according to statiticians, this is simply a mis labeled card that should have a (OF) out of focus designation.image >>

Sorry to bore you, but there are currently nine other simply mis-labeled 1954 white backs on ebay's completed auctions:

1954 white backs

So there's either a lot of mislabelling going on or, according to PSA, there are indeed color variations in the 1954 TOPPS set.