Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Who else thinks mid grade vintage cards are the best value?

I normally buy vintage graded cards in the 4-6 range. I find that's the best value for the money. You get an attractive, very presentable card without paying the absurd prices for the high grades.

Comments

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For keeping in your own set, yes. For potential resale value, probably not.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    True Ex/MNt cards are what i try to buy.

Nice centered Ex's too.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I am very happy with 4-6 from the fifties and sixties and can find some nice 7 and 8's from the 70's at decent prices.
  • Options
    bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    I collect the 1955 Topps baseball set and PSA 6's are a great value.

Jake
  • Options
    The highest graded card in your budget, will go up the most, as there are much less of them, and the demand will be higher. You should always try and at least get near 50/50 centering (even if it means paying a premium). If you need to buy a lower grade card to fit in your budget, look for the detrimenting reason for the lower grade in the corners...they dont distract as much as centering, edges and surface.
  • Options

<< <i>True Ex/MNt cards are what i try to buy.

Nice centered Ex's too.

Steve >>

For some reason I'm not a stickler for centering. As long as the card has a border all the way around and the picture isn't crooked, the card still looks good to me. I have other things that are deal killers like foreign marks and creases. I can deal with a certain degree of rounded corners. With most of the cards I buy, I don't even think about the resale value. If I like the card and the price is right, I'll make a deal.
  • Options
    i dont mind if cards arent perfectly centered, i just hate creases!
  • Options
    I enjoy vintage cards, since I was not born until late 1972, I love the history and seeing the old card board. It fits my budget better to have mid grade cards, and some look pretty decent for the grade.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    25+ years out.........

7+ will be the hotties.

Centering WILL be the most critical resale element.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    Eye appeal is everything..........

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to bring this back from the archives....the topic has been on my mind since i'm collecting mostly 50's 60's stuff lately.

Just like most I have a very difficult time pulling the trigger on PSA 7's and 8's unless they are centered very nicely.
    On that note I cannot justify paying such a high premium for them either, knowing I can buy a well centered 5 or 6 for %60+ less.

We can all agree that high dollar players will always keep the premium on 8's 9's and 10's for vintage, while the average or frugal collectors will keep the mid grade "eye appeal" supply a hit.

So with that said what does "investment grade" really mean for our hobby?

I always buy the card not the slab...just happens to be that my slabs tend to read 5's and 6's image

With everything said above I just don't trust the technicalities in grading anything above a 7 or 8, tell me the science in that and i'll show you the money.

Thoughts?

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    wow, I thought for a second that plifter was back to layeth the smacketh down. I haven't the knowledge to answer akuracy's question, so feel free to rerail this derailed thread.

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    Sorry for the confusion guys

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 years ago 7s were the steal. So Ill say yes to your question, today
  • Options
    I don't know.

Depends on what you consider vintage to be.

Good for you.
  • Options
    I have been buying off of Craigs list lately and have done very well. Been buying a lot of 50's and 60's cards in VG to EX+ range at good prices. I usually try to buy the high dollar cards at a PSA 1, 2, and 3 price. Send them in to be slabbed and haven't had anything come back lower than a 4, but mostly 5-7's. I hope I can keep finding the deals out there. I try to use the same strategy on the Bay as well.

The problem with Ebay and buying them at PSA 4 to 6 prices is that every day that goes buy the more and more common they become. Which I would think will only drive down the price. I agree that PSA 7's and above are the way to go. JMO.

Mike
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"