Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Ever seen this PSA 9 Gooden rookie on eBay???

'84 FU Gooden

I'm guessing you have. I'm not exaggerating when I say this card has been run at least bi-weekly for like 2 years, if not more. Always at the same price (which is 3x its value). I smile every time I see it. I just don't understand why someone would do that.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• sancarloscomputers needs to buy a friggin' scanner.

NathanSr
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    I've seen that. When I was in the market for one a while back, I emailed him an offer of $40 for it, and he ignored me.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    And again...

Doc 9
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna ask him, for $137.00 does that include the fake palm tree as well?
    He's got a 1995 Topps Carlos Beltran PSA 9 that he keeps listing for about $50 too.

• it's a shame that Gooden didn't go five-seven more years to get his numbers up to H.O.F. status.
  • tooooooo bad. every time i hear his name, or Darryl Strawberry for that matter, makes me think of this song..... so much talent completely flushed. Sing it Grand Master!!!

Aaah, aaah, aaah, aaah)
    Uhraah!
    Bass!

Ooh White, White
    Ooh White, White
    Ooh White, White

(Ooh White Lines) Vision dreams of passion
    (Blowin’ through my mind) and all the while I think of you
    (High price) a very strange reaction
    (For us to unwind) the more I see, the more I do
    (Something like a phenomenon) Baby!
    (Tellin your body to come along, but white lines blow away)
    (Blow! Rock it! Blow!)

Ticket to ride, white line highway
    Tell all your friends, they can go my way
    Pay your toll, sell your soul
    Pound for pound costs more than gold
    The longer you stay, the more you pay
    My white lines go a long way
    Either up your nose or through your vein
    With nothin to gain except killin’ your brain

(Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock!)
    (Blow!)

(Ahhh) Higher, baby
    (Ahhh) Get higher, baby!
    (Ahhh) Get higher, baby!
    And don't ever come down! (Freebase!)

Rang dang diggedy dang di-dang
    Diggedy dang di-dang diggedy dang di-dang

(Pipeline) pure as the driven snow
    (Connected to my mind) and now I'm havin’ fun, baby!
    (High price) it's getting kinda low
    (Cause it makes you feel so nice) I need some one-on-one, baby!
    (Don't let it blow your mind away) Baby!
    (And go into your little hideaway ‘cause white lines blow away)
    (Blow! )

A million magic crystals, painted pure and white
    A multi-million dollars almost overnight
    Twice as sweet as sugar, twice as bitter as salt
    And if you get hooked, baby, it's nobody else's fault, so don't do it!

(Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock!)
    Raah! (Blow!)

(Ahhh) Higher, baby
    (Ahhh) Get higher, baby!
    (Ahhh) Get higher, baby!
    And don't ever come down! (Freebase!)

(Don’t you get too high) don’t you get too high baby!
    (Turns you on) you really turn me on and on
    (When you gonna come down) my temperature is risin’
    (When the thrill is gone) no, I don’t want you to go

A street kid gets arrested, gonna do some time
    He got out three years from now just to commit more crime
    A businessman is caught with 24 kilos
    He’s out on bail and out of jail
    And that’s the way it goes
    Raah!

(Kane! Sugar! Kane! Sugar! Kane!)

Athletes rejected, governors corrected
    Gangsters, thugs and smugglers are thoroughly respected
    The money gets divided
    The women get excited
    Now I’m broke and it’s no joke
    It’s hard as hell to fight it, don’t buy it!

(Freeze! Haha ha ha! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock!)
    Raah! (Blow!)

(Ahhh) Get higher, baby
    (Ahhh) Get higher, girl!
    (Ahhh) Get higher, baby!
    C’mon!
    Raah!

(White Lines) Vision dreams of passion
    (Blowin’ through my mind) and all the while I think of you
    (High price) a very strange reaction
    (For us to unwind) the more I see, the more I do
    (Something like a phenomenon) Baby!
    (Tellin your body to come along, but white lines blow away)

Little Jack Horner sitting on the corner
    With no shoes and clothes
    This aint funny, but he took his money
    And sniffed it up his nose

(Hey man, you wanna cop some blow?)
    (Sure, what you got, dust, flakes or rocks?)
    (I got China White, Mother of Pearl, Ivory Flake, What you need?)
    (Well yeah, well let me check it out man, just let me get a freeze)
    (Go ahead man, stuff I got should kill ya!)
    (Yeah man th-that’s that’s raw, wuh)

(Freeze! Haha ha ha! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock!
    Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock! Freeze! Rock!)
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    that's gospel, man!
    And again:

Gooden 9

This is pretty fun image. I'm going to do this until the card is no longer offered. Since it's 2+ years now, it could be a while.
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    "He OG'd man

yeah Over-Golded"

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That's a great price!

Oh wait, it's not 1986 any more. Nevermind.
  • saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    How about the PSA 6 Chili Davis RC for $29.99....

I guess he is Jamaica's all-time HR leader.
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    For an extra $15, I'd go with this one: PSA10
    And again...

Gooden 9
  • Seems the seller just can't let go of yesterdays prices.
    3000 Hit CLub signed ball - 8/19 Living Members

Successful Deals: tennesseebanker, jvette,
  • Maybe we can email him offers and if that fails, a link to this thread.
  • ymareaymarea Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, everybody, for a very entertaning thread. This seller caught my eye a loooong time ago with a PSA 8 1972 Matlack/Stanton/Capra #141. He lists and re-lists what seems like every 5 days and is asking a whopping $99.99. Bear in mind this is only an 8. When I first saw the listing I thought that it had to be a typo...as if he really was asking $9.99. Yet here it is, once again, at $99.99. Can't he see that this card in 8 routinely sells for 6-10 bucks? I see 9's go for 15-25 all the time.

I'm no eBay selling expert, but I have listed my fair share of stuff and relisted on occassion. It costs money each time. I figure with all the relisting this card has undergone, he'll have to get about $200 just to break even. It's kinda sad.
    Brett
    And again...

Doc 9

I want to see how far we can take this. image Don't forget this card was listed weekly or bi-weekly for about 2 years before I even started this thread!

• << <i>And again...

Doc 9

I want to see how far we can take this. image Don't forget this card was listed weekly or bi-weekly for about 2 years before I even started this thread! >>

This seller would save lot's of money by having a store, he can then re-list the card every month
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
  • JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    ...this seller DOES have a store and website, to wit:

/s/ JackWESQ

San Carlos Computers

• mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭
    Out of 200 items closed in the last month he's sold six. I don't see how he is making any profit or even covering his fees.
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
    San Carlos Computers' Never Ending Auction for a 1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden PSA 9 with a ridiculous, uh I mean SLIGHTLY overpriced, Buy It Now price of $129.99 is still going strong!

/s/ JackWESQ

P.S. Just for frame of reference, a PSA 10 sold on 3.31.08 for $128.13 and a PSA 9 sold on 3.18.08 for $34.00.
  • fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    did it ever dawn on you that some sellers might want to lose money on purpose....

he can write off this stuff as a hobby loss, against other legit earnings, that way he may be able to pocket cash he is making.....

i have colleagues who buy laundro-mats in order to lose money on purpose...similar thing
  • jimq112jimq112 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks, everybody, for a very entertaning thread. This seller caught my eye a loooong time ago with a PSA 8 1972 Matlack/Stanton/Capra #141. He lists and re-lists what seems like every 5 days and is asking a whopping $99.99. Bear in mind this is only an 8. When I first saw the listing I thought that it had to be a typo...as if he really was asking $9.99. Yet here it is, once again, at $99.99. Can't he see that this card in 8 routinely sells for 6-10 bucks? I see 9's go for 15-25 all the time.

I'm no eBay selling expert, but I have listed my fair share of stuff and relisted on occassion. It costs money each time. I figure with all the relisting this card has undergone, he'll have to get about $200 just to break even. It's kinda sad. >>

As I was reading down the thread I couldn't help thinking about the idiot who kept relisting the 72 mets rookies card with stanton in the title instead of matlack (who was arguably better) for $99. I was going to look it up and post it to this thread. Didn't realize it was the same guy!
  • BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    What did Einstein say about insanity?
    Listed 3 more times since I last posted: image

Gooden # 1

Gooden # 2

Soon to be unsold # 3
    And again here, but this time with a new [and worse scan].

Here's the latest incantation: 1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden PSA 9

/s/ JackWESQ

• VitoCo1972VitoCo1972 Posts: 6,127 ✭✭✭
    Can't we all just pool in 50 cents and ask the seller to burn it in a youtube video for us?
  • bman90278bman90278 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Can't we all just pool in 50 cents and ask the seller to burn it in a youtube video for us? >>

And again...

Doc
  • I just emailed him and asked him if he would sell it to me for PSA 8 money image
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread is hilarious! I think I'll email him and ask if the auction includes a couple of crack rocks. That would make it a pretty fair deal.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    He is the same dolt that has had this card up for sale repeatedly:

LINK
  • lol why not put Morgan or Brock in the title??
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>lol why not put Morgan or Brock in the title?? >>

Because Lopes has the bigger photo. Don't you know the rules Laz?
  • At least he only charges $5.00 for shipping. Would hate to see him overcharge.image
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Maybe he's using ebay as a tax shelter and losing money on purpose.
  • PoppaJPoppaJ Posts: 2,818
    Wonder why he's keeping the bidders User ID private?

That's the only thing that makes sense about this whole auction! image
  • I have an answer to the private ID. When I saw this thread come up again a while back, I sent him and email regarding the Gooden. I basically asked hime why he kept listing this card at such a ridiculous price. Also told him that he has become the laughing stock of numerous sportscard threads on different websites. I accidentally deleted the email, but he told me that there is a sucker born every minute. He was polite enough to tell me that I was obviously not a sucker. He also told me thanks for telling him because now the card will be famous and he is getting free publicity. Then he said he was going to change all of his auctions to private so there would be no chance of notifying any foolish bidder. Nice fella he is.

• Sorry for the double post, but I found the email. His response:

<< <i>great i'll be famous then. there's a saying a sucker is born everyday. you are not one at least. i'll put a private listing therefore it remains anonymous when it is sold so no one is going to bother them about the purchase price. thanks for the heads up. >>

• itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    it may be about time for the unsellable Gooden/Gary Sheffield RC parlay. image
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love having the career stats in the item description too!! I just sent him an email asking him if he combined shipping charges.

HE DOES!!! For the low low price of just $5 per additional card!!! What a complete DB.

• love this post, same seller has a psa 8 81 lopes for 24.99 for over a year now
    Something must be truly amiss with San Carlos Computers and the 1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden PSA 9. I say this because I was able to negotiate via offers and counteroffers his 1967 Topps Bills Davis and Gus Gil PSA 9 from $99.99 down to $30.00. I ultimately did not accept this offer because I realized that I would have to pay his $5.00 shipping and handling and CA sales tax. Obviously, San Carlos Computer is will to negotiate on some of his cards. But not on the Gooden. Indeed, he stats that the "THE PRICE IS FIRM!! NO BEST OFFERS ALLOWED!" As such, I am left with only two conclusions:

1. He is truly delusional as to the value of the Gooden; or
    2. He paid $129.98 for the card (or there abouts) and is hell-bent on not losing a single penny on the Gooden.

Of course, I could be the delusional one in NOT accepting his price of $129.99 because one might not come around again. Oh wait, there's one here and here. Maybe I'll bid on them, likely win it for around $43.51 and offer to sell it to San Carlos Computers for the low price of $99.99 since he obviously believes a 1984 Fleer Update Dwight Gooden PSA 9 is worth $129.99.

/s/ JackWESQ

<< <i>2. He paid $129.98 for the card (or there abouts) and is hell-bent on not losing a single penny on the Gooden. >>

I can only imagine what he's paid in listing fees by listing this card continuously for 3 years...
    It looks like someone finally bought it! $129.99 + $12 s/h.

So, if he's been posting this thing continually for the past 3 years, he's paid more in listing fees for just this card than he actually sold it for. Not wise.

Nooooooooooo!

/s/ JackWESQ