Home Sports Talk
Options

Sheffield - Boras is a "bad person"

stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
Link

Tigers' Sheffield Rips Ex-Agent Boras
By LARRY LAGE – 1 hour ago

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) — Detroit Tigers slugger Gary Sheffield called his former agent a "bad person" and said Scott Boras is trying to get money he doesn't deserve.

The dispute stems from the $39 million, three-year contract the All-Star signed in 2003 with the New York Yankees.

Sheffield declined to comment on the specifics of the grievance Thursday, but the designated hitter has said he represented himself when the Yankees' deal was done. Boras has said Sheffield agreed to let him represent the outfielder when his contract with Atlanta ran out.

Sheffield vowed to say a lot of "ugly things" about various topics when the case is settled and he doesn't care if Major League Baseball punishes him.

"It ain't going to be pretty," he said. "No fine is going to be big enough. No suspension is going to be long enough."

Boras declined to escalate the situation.

"I'm not going to comment on Gary's comments," Boras said.

Sheffield said he has given a deposition each year since the grievance was issued, and Feb. 28 or so will be the next one.

"Nothing happens. Then, he comes back, `I want some more money.' That's basically the way he's acting," Sheffield said. "I don't know why. It's probably personal with him. But when it's done, it's going to be personal with me."

Sheffield fired agent Jim Neader and hired Boras in the spring of 2001, when he created a stir while playing for the Los Angeles Dodgers by demanding a contract extension or a trade. He had $30 million and three years left on his deal plus an $11 million club option.

"I've known Gary since he was 15 years old, and I know he's a good person," Boras said then.

Sheffield fired Boras in 2003, saying he planned to represent himself in the future.

Several months later, Sheffield signed with the Yankees and said he negotiated the contract himself with owner George Steinbrenner. Boras later filed paperwork requesting 5 percent of the $39 million deal.

Sheffield has said his problems with Boras cost him a longer contract when he became a free agent.

"Can you explain why (Miguel) Tejada gets six years, (Vladimir) Guerrero gets five years and I get three? He cost me two years of a contract because he was trying to tarnish my name," Sheffield said in 2004. "The whole year in Atlanta, I had to get the players' association to stop him from writing me threatening letters saying, 'Either you let me do your contract or I'll be forced to sue you.' That's a threat and harassment."

Yankees star Alex Rodriguez said earlier this week he still hasn't spoken with Boras since negotiating his new contract this offseason without his longtime agent.

"Do you blame him?" Sheffield asked.

Tigers pitcher Kenny Rogers fired Boras during this winter after the agent tried to shop his services even though the pitcher only wanted to negotiate with Detroit.

Boras does represent other Tigers, including reigning AL batting champion Magglio Ordonez, All-Star catcher Ivan Rodriguez and first-round pick Rick Porcello.

Sheffield said he is going to warn everybody about Boras when their dispute is resolved.

"It's going to be the ugliest thing you've ever seen because certain people you don't mess with," he said. "And I guarantee you, I'm one of them."

Sheffield said he will tell players to hire whom they want, but will share his experience as one of Boras' clients.

"Total hell," he said. "I shouldn't have ever introduced myself to him. Period. Bad person."
So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>roid rage >>

• Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, but Boras sounds like an assholic to me.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Sheffield tells it like it is. He does not hold back. You guys really think Boras is not a weasel? Come on.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sheffield tells it like it is. He does not hold back. You guys really think Boras is not a weasel? Come on. >>

is he a lawyer?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Scott Bora$$ is a very, very bad person.

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Sheff could keep it quiet while in Detroit, it would be a good thing. Just play ball, and not have to be in the news for one thing or another.
  • Options
    Boras is a jerk.

Sheffield is the biggest piece of garbage in MLB. Everyone hounds the steroids users, especially Clemens and Bonds( I have too). However, everybody gives Sheffield a free pass in this because he admitted to unknowingly taking them. He is no better than Clemens and Bonds, and should receive the same treatment. However, this is not what makes him the biggest piece of garbage!

SHEFFIELD admitted to making throwing errors on purpose when he was with the Brewers, so that he could get traded. Of course he later back tracked on those statements. Pete Rose is out of MLB for gambling. This guy is worse than Rose.

So what is Sheffield? He is on par witht the biggest cheaters of the game...Bonds and Clemens.

And he is on par with two guys who got lifetime bans for gambling and the integrity of the game...Joe Jackson and Rose.

Then we have to listen to his goofy sociology theories. This guy just needs to go away.