Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How long does it take to grade 8 coins?

Mine have been there since January 5th and so far I haven't heard a thing from PCGS, they do show Ok on their site. That's 33 business days alone, not counting weekends.

~

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you submit under "World Economy" or "Regular"? They're running a little behind as far as grading World is concerned. If it's Economy - I wouldn't be surprised if it takes them 40 - 45 business days. My Regular submission (estimated at 15 business days) went almost double that before being graded. Turnaround on World coins is a serious issue with PCGS, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Hi Roman!
    Actually I submitted under "World other" because I used the vouchers I was given at the time I signed up at the coin show here in Santa Clara and that was the form I received from the lady which by the way crossed the box herself. I guess it automatically means the slowest/cheapest possible way of service image

~
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Could be worse... PCGS Currency has had an order of mine logged since December 21...
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Jan 17 and counting for world economy submission .....

• Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    all those holidays and

days where the graders are at major shows

they can grade the coins in 10 seconds

all the other stuff and scheduling takes the time
  • Options
    December 26th and counting for my World Economy Submission.
    Successful BST purchases from: WaterSport, commoncents123, Hyperion, mozeppa, Mar327, coinlieutenant, Placid, MFH, fishteeth, FilthyBroke, SilverEagles92, illini420, barberman55, pcgs69 (2x) & 123cents

History of the US Constitution Coin Set
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    The currency show schedule:
    Pre-FUN January 6 - 13, 2008 Orlando
    FL
    Comments: Submissions Only
    FUN January 10 - 13, 2008 Orlando
    FL
    Comments: On-site grading.
    New York International January 11 - 14, 2008 New York
    NY
    Comments: Submissions Only
    Long Beach Expo February 14 - 16,2008 Long Beach
    CA
    Comments: On-site grading.

Busy time of year...
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>Hi Roman!
    Actually I submitted under "World other" because I used the vouchers I was given at the time I signed up at the coin show here in Santa Clara and that was the form I received from the lady which by the way crossed the box herself. I guess it automatically means the slowest/cheapest possible way of service image >>

Their stated turnaround time is 21 days when using the vouchers you get for signing up. It won't be long until your turnaround time is DOUBLE what the stated turnaround is, which is unaccepatable in my opinion.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    My three last submissions were really processed express:

1) World economy, 17 coins, received by PCGS on December the 18th, coins delivered graded and TrueViewed in NYINC on January the 13th.

2) World regular, 3 coins, received by PCGS on December the 18th, coins delivered graded and TrueViewed in NYINC on January the 13th.

3) World regular, 20 coins, received by PCGS on December the 18th, coins delivered graded and TrueViewed in Berlin Money Fair on February the 1rst.

Overall, impressively quick turnaround, submitted a week before Christmas and incl. return hand in hand delivery, with the third submission delivered overseas after successfully dealing with the German Customs.image
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    That's pretty impressive, Dimitri. You results, however, show me something troubling in their grading process, which is lack of consistency. It sounds like either the graders have a choice which order to process, or there is a disconnect in how the orders are prioritized once received.

Just my 2 kopeiki image
  • Options
    Jan 09, and counting, for world economy submission!
  • Options

<< <i>That's pretty impressive, Dimitri. You results, however, show me something troubling in their grading process, which is lack of consistency. It sounds like either the graders have a choice which order to process, or there is a disconnect in how the orders are prioritized once received.

Just my 2 kopeiki image >>

Roman,

I didn't post this to brag, but to express my gratitude to Ron Guth who took care of them personally on both occasions and if you want, prove that there is indeed a lack of consistency: they're not always late. image

Hint: TrueView often speeds up the process.

Otherwise, I must admit that the impressive result was also partly due to my repeat emails and phonecalls. image The two coin shows were my only realistic option to get them back without having to deal with Customs and pay unfair import or VAT taxes. For the same reason, I often tend to group several submissions at once, before I attend coin shows where PCGS is present.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much of an impact the free quarterly grading special has.
    This quarter's special marks the first time world coins were included.
  • Options
    Dimitri, from your post it looks like only your first submission was processed in a non-standard way. The other two fall under the estimated turn-around times. It was definitely nice of PCGS to work with you arranging the delivery of the coins that work with your schedule - my hat is off to them for going an extra mile. That shows good work ethics, in my opinion.

My issue is that it's hard for me to be an advocate of PCGS when the second question is normally asked has to do with turn-around times (the first one is normally the grading standard, which I still believe is the most consistent between all of the top-tier TPGs).
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    No one has actually answered your question.

8 coins should take an average of 4 minutes including removing/reinserting the coins into their flips, grading, and logging the results into the computer....next grader takes 4 minutes, and the finalizer about another 2 minutes....figure 10 minutes total for everyone involved in the grading process.

Receiving, logging the submission, slabbing, packing, & shipping take another 4-8 weeks, give or take. image
  • Options

<< <i>No one has actually answered your question.

8 coins should take an average of 4 minutes including removing/reinserting the coins into their flips, grading, and logging the results into the computer....next grader takes 4 minutes, and the finalizer about another 2 minutes....figure 10 minutes total for everyone involved in the grading process.

Receiving, logging the submission, slabbing, packing, & shipping take another 4-8 weeks, give or take. image >>

You're absolutely right image

And Dimitri, I did request trueview.

Something is very wrong with this kind of service, it's unacceptable and unprofessional!

~
  • Options
    Mac, you kill me. How long do you think licking stamps for the International orders takes? image

justanothercoinaddict - I understand why the turn-arounds are longer than usual. In times like these, it would be nice to have those estimates updated with something more realistic. Perhaps have a "rolling" average based on the last coin certified at the end of the day? What happens now is that after 35 days, people start calling asking how much longer until the grades are posted. There are no intermediate check-points for the orders, so the answer from their representatives is always the same - we don't know where exactly your coins are in line, World coins normally run longer, etc. That can cause frustration, especially for new members, not familiar with the process. A rolling estimate based on the last coin certified at the end of the day would at least give the submitters a peace of mind (even if that estimate is sitting at 30 days for a Regular service).

• Options

Jan 17 and still counting .....

• Options
    ...still counting

I packed this eight coins on New Year's eve and sent them out on the first day of regular USPS service (January 2nd), they showed in their site on Jan 5th. So far it has been 57 days since the last time I saw them. 39 business days and counting... image

~
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Mac, you kill me. How long do you think licking stamps for the International orders takes?

As long as the US$ continues its freefall, it will take longer tomorrow than today. image

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just mailed in a World coin and US coin submission on Feb 27th. I'll see how long that takes. I'm betting at least 2 months.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

<< <i>

And Dimitri, I did request trueview.

Something is very wrong with this kind of service, it's unacceptable and unprofessional! >>

I recently asked why the TrueView service disappeared from the 2007 and 2008 forms ,and the reply I got was that too many TrueView requests were jamming the system even more. I'm talking about submissions of multiple identical modern US bullion coins, that wanted a Trueview photo with each coin as well, which is unreasonable when a stock photo, the Mint's own, can easily serve as an alternative.Anyway, I'm wishing you all a quick grading process of your coins and in particular to ajaan who's submitted a few on my behalf.image When you have to face the local Customs sword at each submission like myself, turnaround time seems like the least of all worries.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    PCGS received my coins Jan. 9 and got the grades today and happy with the results.
    jetblack740il

==================================

Complete US-PHIL Coins for Sale, Circulation Strikes 1903-1945
  • Options

Jan 17 and still counting .....

• Options
    Had a submission entered yesterday. Hope to get them back before Memorial Day.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Submitted Jan 17 ..... Called PC today just to say Hi. They said "any day now". image
  • Options
    Doh, Filam, I have one submitted 10 days after yours ...

Guess I'll stop checking daily status for a while image
  • Options
    Lucky you.
    PCGS received my 7 coins on the same day, and, I am still waiting for the submission to be processed.
  • Options
    Anyone we know submitted this one?

Shared Order

Wouldn't mind making an offer on that 1796 AU53 image

Too bad about all the BB's, though image All 3 pillars were fakes, too.
  • Options
    P.S. My World Economy is currently on 41st business day, World Regular is day 17.
  • Options
    Since there is no longer any kind of guarantee turn around time, PCGS has no incentive to get coins graded quickly.

They really do have a big problem with World coin submission turn around time.

DPOTD-3

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Don, in all honesty, I'm starting to get very frustrated about this. To a point that I'm starting to question whether to renew my PCGS subscription, or not. I still believe that they are the best and most consistent TPG out there, but it's getting harder and harder to be their advocate with these turn-around times.

Edit: Ahhh, who am I kidding? I'm hopelessly hooked on their plastic image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't pretend to know how PCGS does things, but I suspect that some invoices are delayed because it's necessary to show certain coins to outside consultants. If I'm right, it would be smart to submit the "easy" coins on one invoice and more "difficult" coins on another.

Ron Guth will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong...
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Jan 09, and counting, for world economy submission! >>

You have been wainting since next year?!!image

Just kidding!!!image
  • Options

<< <i>I won't pretend to know how PCGS does things, but I suspect that some invoices are delayed because it's necessary to show certain coins to outside consultants. If I'm right, it would be smart to submit the "easy" coins on one invoice and more "difficult" coins on another. >>

My Jan 13 submission is relatively easy NZ predecimal. 2 1/2 months and counting. This will probably be my first and last year as a CU member.

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    My Collector Club "free" submissions were entered on 2/25/08. Today I see that my grades are posted image although it doesn't indicate that they've been shipped yet. Not a bad wait (and the grades are ok, too image ) -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options

<< <i>I won't pretend to know how PCGS does things, but I suspect that some invoices are delayed because it's necessary to show certain coins to outside consultants. >>

There you go again, Andy, being rational and logical.... image

I'm still shocked about the lack of information of PCGS phone operators. If the coin is sent to consultants - shouldn't this bit of information be available to the customer support person that's talking to a collector who hasn't seen his coins in over 2 Months?