Home Sports Talk

Coughlin & Giants close to a new 4 year contract extension

Terms of the deal are close to being completed according to several sources which say the new contract will last through the 2011 season and pay him close to $5 million per year.

Comments

• << <i>What a difference a year makes. >>

Yea, what he said!
  • joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    "Tom is too much of a hard a**"
    "Tom doesn't understand todays players"
    "Tom needs to be more personable with his players"
    "Tom has lost the team"

NOT

• << <i>"Tom is too much of a hard a**"
    "Tom doesn't understand todays players"
    "Tom needs to be more personable with his players"
    "Tom has lost the team"

NOT >>

He changed his old ways in dealing with people and I think that was a major factor
    in the Giants success this season.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No question Coughlin changed his approach to coaching and loosened up a bit, and for that he deserves a lot of credit. It's often very difficult for old school guys like him set in their ways to chnage, but he realized that he needed to reinvent himself to a certain degree and the strategy paid big dividends for the Giants football team and him both.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't argue with a Super Bowl win, but next season the Giants won't even win the NFC East and that's an easy call. Eagles will win the NFC East and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can't argue with a Super Bowl win, but next season the Giants won't even win the NFC East and that's an easy call. Eagles will win the NFC East and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. >>

Thats right Steve. You can not argue with a Super Bowl win (especially when it came against a supposed best team of all time and a undefeated team) ..... and you should have stopped right there. Everything after that is the same old same old same old same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff you always preach no matter what is going on. image

The Giants will be a formidable NFC East team next year with their youth and return of the ex Eagle D.C. Look for a ferocious Giants defense next year and a offense to boot. Sorry!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Yes, Tom Coughlin bended but didn't break. He is a Kindler and Gentler Tom. Of course, Tiki can take credit for this too. image Little known facts about Coughlin: He is a native New Yorker (I knew this one) and he was a team mate of Larry Czonka's at Syracuse University (I didn't know Tom was such as jock).

High School Years

Coughlin attended Waterloo High School in Waterloo, New York and was a good student and a letterman in football. While attending Waterloo, he gained the school's single season touchdown record-which still stands at 19.

Early career

Coughlin attended Syracuse University where he played wingback and was teammates with Larry Csonka and Floyd Little. In 1967, he set the school's single-season pass receiving record

Tom Coughlin

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can't argue with a Super Bowl win, but next season the Giants won't even win the NFC East and that's an easy call. Eagles will win the NFC East and represent the NFC in the Super Bowl. >>

Thats right Steve. You can not argue with a Super Bowl win (especially when it came against a supposed best team of all time and a undefeated team) ..... and you should have stopped right there. Everything after that is the same old same old same old same old same old same old same old same old same old stuff you always preach no matter what is going on. image

The Giants will be a formidable NFC East team next year with their youth and return of the ex Eagle D.C. Look for a ferocious Giants defense next year and a offense to boot. Sorry! >>

Oh and with Giants fans it ain't the "same old stuff" huh? LOL

You guys were burying Eli for years, and Coughlin also, and now they had a hot roll, congrats to them, but simply beat a worn out Patriots team that Belichick used up just a bit too much during the season, like a jockey that lets his heavy favorite horse run too fast early in the lead, the horse tires and gets nipped at the wire.

Frankly, the Giants simply aren't good enough to win again after a Super Bowl win in which players and coaches usually become complacent enough to get beat in the next season. Again...your team got hot, really Eli just got hot at the end which made the difference - but that won't be repeated, there is no doubt about it - it's a very, VERY easy call.

I wouldn't be surprised one bit if midway through the upcoming NFL season, when the Giants are like 3 - 5 or 4 - 4, that Giants fans will be burying Eli and the coach again...yes that's right...the "same old stuff" again. LOL

The Eagles are going all the way next season - get used to it!

-