Home Sports Talk
Options

Trivia question #1: Who is the leading "ABC" scorer in the NBA this season?

By ABC I mean American Born Caucasian player.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    Mike Dunleavy??
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Correct. Dunleavy is 55th in the NBA in scoring this season.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    what do i win??? perhaps a check of somesort?? maybe cash???

there really wasn't that many choices. he's having a really nice year!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

• Options
    i was going to guess chris kaman. He's having a monster season.

who is the next great white hope? Keith van horn couldnt do it. Neither could adam morrison.

Kevin Love?
  • Options
    kyle korver is starting to shoot the lights out. i guess morrison is not the answer, i don't know who the next hope is??
    Fred

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many ABC's are on NBA rosters this year?

It would be interesting to see a study of NBA rosters from the year the league formed through the present, with data presented on the ethnicity of players and the country of birth of players on those rosters.

I expect that all players on league rosters were ABCs until the first american born blacks (ABBs) made teams in (if I recall correctly) the late 1940's or the early 1950's. Once ABBs started making teams, I suspect that with each passing year more ABBs took up roster spots and less ABCs took up roster spots. I further suspect that in the late 1970's into the early 1980's the number of ABCs on rosters began to decline dramatically. Then starting in the mid 1980's the first players born outside of the USA began to make NBA rosters. The number of non USA born players making rosters has really taken off over the past 10 years or so. The NBA is becoming more "diverse" each year and in my opinion will become the first professional sports league to "go global" with teams located on all six populated continents.

The number of ABCs on current rosters must be extremely small. The number of ABBs on current rosters is probably much less than the number 10 years ago. The number of players born outside the USA on rosters will continue to increase.

As far as ABCs go, it is my understanding that young white kids who have talent in basketball have other options available to them in life and that as a result, many of them choose to go in a different direction once they get into higher levels of competition. Many choose not to put in the time and effort to develop their bodies and skills to the point where they can compete at the NBA level.

The same phenomena is also present with black kids from middle class or higher families. Isiah Thomas was asked about whether his kids wanted to play in the NBA like their dad. He said no, they are to interested in other activities, including computers.

ABCs are a dying breed in the NBA.