Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does " as struck" mean mint?

Comments

• Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I've always read as struck in descriptions as meaning that the "damage" is not post-mint damage
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a Roman coin context, I do believe "as struck" is often used to mean Mint State, yes. Whether those really are or not, I can't tell from the pictures.

As farthing mentioned, "as struck" is also used in another context, to mean that a flaw or error or other aspect of a coin is from the mint and not post-mint. (For example, "incomplete planchet, as struck", or something like that).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I often see the term "as struck" used on two different occasions:

1) The coin is a crude issue that makes it very hard or impossible to grade "uncirculated". This could be the case with some hand struck or cast coins. In this case "as struck" would mean that the coin doesn't appear to be worn, but on the other hand doesn't look uncirculated by the usual standards. This could apply to your coins.

2) The coin is struck to modern standards but has some flaw or lack of detail. In this case the term "as struck" is sometimes abused IMO by sellers who prefer writing that instead of "bad strike" og "weak strike". On the other hand there are certain modern issues where the term is appropriate.

Marcel image
    Ebay user name: 00MadMuffin00
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be "caveat emptor" as the other posters have stated - watch out for possible problems when this descriptive is used.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it means that it looks the same now as when a previous owner's kid struck it with a ballpeen hammer.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This one does look good though