Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Return of the King- NFL HOF Rookies- Fight4olddc is back!!!

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Jon (fight4olddc) is back..And in a big way...He just added a PSA 8 1948 Leaf Bobby Layne, and a PSA 9 1955 Frank Gatski..He also picked up a few of my new .5 upgrades...

He's been laying low for the last few months, but I just got done talking with him and he is on the lookout for ANY possible upgrades...There isn't a whole lot that he needs, but if anyone else gets back any new .5's that would upgrade him, I would suggest shooting him an e-mail at skinsin04@aol.com...Figured I would post here since quite a few of us have been sending in reviews looking for the half grade bumps...

Too bad MOSH gave up on being #1 in the set..Would be quite a show to try and see the 2 big dogs battle it out for the top spot..lol...

Jason
I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.

Comments

• DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    Too bad he missed out on that Bednarik 8. Doubt if there will be another one of those surface.

Is Jon going to be sending his 6, 7, and 8's in for .5 review?

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Too bad he missed out on that Bednarik 8. Doubt if there will be another one of those surface.

Is Jon going to be sending his 6, 7, and 8's in for .5 review? >>

True...Plus there were a couple of others like PSA 9 1971 Joe Greene on recently that he could have used...

I'm sure he'll make up for them..lol..I wouldn't be surprised at anything he adds...He's working on picking up a pre-1950s PSA 9 right now...Since dealers and fellow collectors are finding out he is back in the mix, I think we will see more amazing cards come out of the woodwork for him.

Money talks!

Jason

I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    True he may have missed out on a few good ones (I thought the Bednarik 8 was overgraded anyway), but it would be nearly impossible for anyone to overtake him at this point - even if he was cryogenically frozen for the next 10 years. LOL. So upgrades are merely for fun, not positioning. Kinda the way it should be anyway.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is Jon going to be sending his 6, 7, and 8's in for .5 review? >>

Dave, the answer to that is yes...He doesn't have many 6-7-8s, but the ones he does have? WOW if any bump...

I think if he sends EVERYTHING, probably looking at 5-10% bumpage..If he sends just the good candidates, 10-20% bumpage. Send only the strongest of candidates? 40-50% bumpage...That pretty much goes for anyone I think...Of course if you send a sub smaller than 10 cards its impossible to know...One card difference on a 5 card sub changes it from 20%-40%...

Jason
  • envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Never heard of him... image

Seriously though, his set is amazing. I used to enjoy opening his set and seeing "Upgraded" next to cards that only had one card they could have upgraded to. Simply amazing. You're right though, money talks and he pays very respectably for the cards he wants/ needs and his set shows it. Like Andy said, it's all window dressing now. I don't see how anyone could catch him. Heck, I calculated it out yesterday... If I wanted to get every card in the grade I could reasonably expect to afford and actually aquire based on pop, I'd have to spend another $20k and I would move up (all other sets staying the same) to #6. That would put me at a total investment of well over $40k. To crack a top 5 spot would take at least another $30k and a total investment over $65k. I'm hoping that in 5 years, the investment I've made in the set I have (whatever it looks like then) will be similar to the sets Glenn and Jason have built. I know the investment Jon has made, well I can speculate, and I am imagining that in a few years, we'll hear people saying "How could you have built that set for $10k...$50k...$500k"

It's amazing how much the prices have increased on many of these cards, not just in high grade, but mid-grade as well. A testament to how popular the set and the sport has become.

Now Jon, when are we going to see more scans? image

By the way, I'd be willing to bet Jon could build a top 10 set with just the upgrades he has laying around. lol