Home U.S. Coin Forum

Mint To Use Alot Less Copper And More Zinc In 2009

Coin World is reporting the Mint is planning to cut back production of the nickel through dollar circulating coins and increase production of cents for 2009

<< <i>The United States Mint will be using a lot more zinc and less copper and nickel during the 2009 fiscal year as Lincoln cent production is stepped up while output of denominations from the 5-cent coin through the dollar is slashed, Mint officials said.
The primary reason for the planned increase in cent production is the distribution of four commemorative circulating Lincoln cents to celebrate the contributions of the nation’s 16 th president, Abraham Lincoln, according to Mint officials.
Mint officials forecast demand for 5-cent coins, dimes, quarter dollars and dollar coins will drop, while remaining constant for the half dollar. >>

Keys in the making image
Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half dollar demand?
    What half dollar demand?
    You mean the bag of 200 I buy every year for tube stock???????
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Could this be good news for Pres dollar folks hmmmmmmm.

I like the news personally.
  • I wonder how much the rising metal prices affected their outlook for consumer demand of circulating coins image
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• You mean copper is becoming a "precious" metal in our coinage...???...image
    ......Larry........image

• << <i>I wonder how much the rising metal prices affected their outlook for consumer demand of circulating coins image >>

That was my thought, I'm surprised they are pushing more for the abolishment of the dollar bill though, since the dollar coin is the mints most profitable coin to mint. I also disagree with the demand will diminish for the dollar coin, I don't think there is much demand besides collector demand in the first place.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The half dollar should have been discontinued 40 years ago. There is no reason to strike any at all.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Does nayone know how to order a box of new coins from the Fed? I would dearly like to order a box of 2009 nickels (2008 as well for that matter) and I cannot seem to figure out how to do it.
  • fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭
    nice job mint! honor good old abe by making the cent that bears his image
    with the cheapest most base metals you can locate!

I am sure abe is quite pleased with how the country celebrates him!

• << <i>Does nayone know how to order a box of new coins from the Fed? I would dearly like to order a box of 2009 nickels (2008 as well for that matter) and I cannot seem to figure out how to do it. >>

Your bank should be able to get a box for you, if not, you may try another bank.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks its high time for a circulating $5.00 coin. image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    More pennies! That is just what we need!
  • renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>nice job mint! honor good old abe by making the cent that bears his image

I am sure abe is quite pleased with how the country celebrates him! >>

I wonder what an aluminum Lincoln would sound like....

Ren

• << <i>Me thinks its high time for a circulating $5.00 coin. image

Later, Paul. >>

Sure is....!!It could be made out of precious pure copper...!!....like the 1909 ..image
    ......Larry........image
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Abe may approve of this because the common person will be able to get the coin more easily, not just a few coin collectors here and there.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Wow, I thought for a minute there you were saying that
    the Mint was going to make all of our small change out
    of zinc.

Although it may just be a matter of time anyway.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• fcfc Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Abe may approve of this because the common person will be able to get the coin more easily, not just a few coin collectors here and there. >>

you know, you may be right on that. sounds like abe wanted to do exactly what we are doing today:

" In Monetary Policy of the United States Richard Timberlake clearly explained the paramount importance of central banking to the political ambitions of Lincoln and his fellow Whigs: "To the Whigs . . . a national bank was their life – the vital principle – without which they could not live as a party – the power which was to give them power . . . . To lose it, was to lose the fruits of the election, with the prospect of losing the party itself." In other words, the Whigs always intended to use a central bank, and the printing of paper money not backed by gold or silver, as the means of financing massive patronage schemes ("internal improvements") that they hoped would keep them in power indefinitely. This is precisely why the Jacksonians were so opposed to it.

Andrew Jackson and the Bank War

The best published account of the "bank war" between Andrew Jackson and Nicolas Biddle is Robert Remini’s Andrew Jackson and the Bank War. Jackson considered fiat money to be "the instrument of the swindler and the cheat. For Andrew Jackson, hard money – specie – was the only legitimate money; anything else was a fraud to steal from honest men." (Remini, p. 19). Jackson also believed that the doctrine of states’ rights meant that a central bank was unconstitutional. This view was quite pervasive, especially in the South. As Timberlake writes (p. 83): "The states . . . . were properly jealous and fearful of encroachment by the federal government. Since a central bank would necessarily be a federal bank and would maintain and operate state branches from a distant center, proponents of states’ rights found opposition to a national bank almost mandatory."
    "

<< <i>

<< <i>

Abe may approve of this because the common person will be able to get the coin more easily, not just a few coin collectors here and there. >>

you know, you may be right on that. sounds like abe wanted to do exactly what we are doing today:

"In Monetary Policy of the United States Richard Timberlake clearly explained the paramount importance of central banking to the political ambitions of Lincoln and his fellow Whigs: "To the Whigs . . . a national bank was their life – the vital principle – without which they could not live as a party – the power which was to give them power . . . . To lose it, was to lose the fruits of the election, with the prospect of losing the party itself." In other words, the Whigs always intended to use a central bank, and the printing of paper money not backed by gold or silver, as the means of financing massive patronage schemes ("internal improvements") that they hoped would keep them in power indefinitely. This is precisely why the Jacksonians were so opposed to it.

Andrew Jackson and the Bank War

The best published account of the "bank war" between Andrew Jackson and Nicolas Biddle is Robert Remini’s Andrew Jackson and the Bank War. Jackson considered fiat money to be "the instrument of the swindler and the cheat. For Andrew Jackson, hard money – specie – was the only legitimate money; anything else was a fraud to steal from honest men." (Remini, p. 19). Jackson also believed that the doctrine of states’ rights meant that a central bank was unconstitutional. This view was quite pervasive, especially in the South. As Timberlake writes (p. 83): "The states . . . . were properly jealous and fearful of encroachment by the federal government. Since a central bank would necessarily be a federal bank and would maintain and operate state branches from a distant center, proponents of states’ rights found opposition to a national bank almost mandatory."
    " >>

Interesting. Abe was ahead of his time in more ways than one.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭
    At the bottom of the Presidental Coin Act is the Lincoln penny legislation.

It states: "the Secretary of hte Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes" .

I think these will only be for the "Mint" products and NOT for generel circulation.

<< <i>At the bottom of the Presidental Coin Act is the Lincoln penny legislation.

It states: "the Secretary of hte Treasury shall issue 1-cent coins in 2009 with the exact metallic content as the 1-cent coin contained in 1909 in such number as the Secretary determines to be appropriate for numismatic purposes" .

I think these will only be for the "Mint" products and NOT for generel circulation. >>

NCLT bullion cents? image
  • FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At the bottom of the Presidental Coin Act is the Lincoln penny legislation.

I think these will only be for the "Mint" products and NOT for generel circulation. >>

They should have been making proofs out of the original composition these past 25 years.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com

<< <i>They should have been making proofs out of the original composition these past 25 years. >>

Why? Proofs are supposed to have the same composition as circulation coins. Have any proofs had different composition?
  • More cents to be minted and circulated. Where are all those people now that predicted the cent would be gone by oh nine?

• << <i>

NCLT bullion cents? image >>

Copper=Bullion...image
    ......Larry........image
  • mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭
    Me thinks its high time for a circulating $5.00 coin.

We use to have that right at one time. They were called half eagles coined out of real gold that didn't need to be propped-up by the federal government, (they really didn't need to have government to have value). The sooner we get back on the gold standard the better.
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Copper=Bullion...image >>

Long before the metal market took off several years ago, copper was always sought after. Those of you in the building business know that structures being erected and left unguarded were and are stripped of any copper coils or copper wires or copper pipes, at least here in Chicago.
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder how much the rising metal prices affected their outlook for consumer demand of circulating coins image >>

Took the words right out of my mouth. image
    Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>More cents to be minted and circulated. Where are all those people now that predicted the cent would be gone by oh nine? >>

more like 2010..image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    They are creating less incentive to collect money and more incentive for me to go electronic and collect precious metals. image

To me the Cent is one of the most useless coins in use today. It's fun to collect but I don't see it very useful as money and now they are making more than ever.
  • aus3000tinaus3000tin Posts: 369 ✭✭✭
    I believe the increased production is for the novice collectors.
    If there are going to be four types of Lincoln cents, then the Mint will need to produce four times the number of Lincoln cents then previous years.

Thanks,

Chris
  • droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>while remaining constant for the half dollar. >>

Demand for halves will remain near zero -- whodathunkit!

Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!

<< <i>I would dearly like to order a box of 2009 nickels (2008 as well for that matter) and I cannot seem to figure out how to do it. >>

You may need to wait until 2009!

<< <i>Proofs are supposed to have the same composition as circulation coins. Have any proofs had different composition? >>

Silver proofs.

<< <i>

<< <i>Proofs are supposed to have the same composition as circulation coins. Have any proofs had different composition? >>

Silver proofs. >>

What a misnomer. I'm still bummed that silver proof sets don't include silver proof cents!

<< <i>

<< <i>Copper=Bullion...image >>

Long before the metal market took off several years ago, copper was always sought after. Those of you in the building business know that structures being erected and left unguarded were and are stripped of any copper coils or copper wires or copper pipes, at least here in Chicago. >>

In the old days copper coins were measured by weight, just like gold and silver.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much less copper? I thought the current penny was .001% copper.

Maybe a copper spray paint?
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,490 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Could this be good news for Pres dollar folks hmmmmmmm.

I like the news personally. >>

Absolutely YES.

Not to continue beating this dead horse but unless the paper dollar is eliminated, Presidential Dollar production will continue to drop until it hits "collector only" levels such as the 2002 - 2007 Sacajawea Dollar and the 2002 - 2008 Kennedy Halves.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • How much less copper? I thought the current penny was .001% copper. Maybe a copper spray paint?

Exactly, plus the price of zinc has risen right along with copper. And I would have expected the increase in cent production due to the commemorative program anyway. Since when does the mint use p.m. costs (or even demand for coins, for that matter) to set production rates. The whole thing makes no sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file