Home Metal Detecting
Options

Does this tool exist?

I've been reading some good treasure hunting books lately and one of them mentions using a 5 to 6 foot long metal probe to help find caches and other deep buried items. I have no idea where to get one, so I made a post in the ~~~***BST/Wants Thread***~~~.

However, another tool that I think would work well would be a core sampler. Of course, just being a metal tube, you couldn't have it 5 to 6 feet long or it would just buckle and getting the sample out would be a real pain.

My question is, does a shorter, manual core sampler exist out there anywhere? Will I have to make my own?

Cheers,

Scott

Comments

• Options
    Try looking under plug cutter instead of core sampler .

Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    Thanks guys!

After looking at those probe links, I decided to look for a local blacksmith to see if he could make what I need. (It's kind of a big item to be shipping through the mail.)

Turns out the one and only blacksmith shop in the city is right around the corner from my house! I'll let you know how it turns out...

All my "plug cutter" searches come up with woodworking tools... it's the right principle though. I'll probably mention it to the blacksmith and see if he can't make me one of those as well.
  • Options
    Take a look at the "Plug Popper"
    http://jimmysierra.com/toolsdetail.htm#popper

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Take a look at the "Plug Popper"
    <a href="http://jimmysierra.com/toolsdetail.htm#popper">http://jimmysierra.com/toolsdetail.htm#popper</A&gt; >>

Wow, now that's pretty darn close to what I was imagining except for the length. I may have to order one up just to try it out.

Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    >> pretty darn close to what I was imagining except for the length<<

I don't think you can use any thing longer. I have a custom unit that is 12 inch long and 3 inch in diameter..but find that in most lawns I can pull a plug of 6 or 7 inch at best in ONE try. A second try may get you another 3 or 4 inch down. It makes a nice plug, but you must be good at pinpointing!

A plugger is not for every type of hunting, I only use it at schools and WELL manicured lawns.
    If the ground is dry...don't bother.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options

Yeah, after some thought I may have to rethink this whole "core sampler" idea...

The ground around here is FULL of rocks of varying sizes, I mean to the point that digging a hole with a pick and shovel can be a maddening experience, and the ground tends to be hard... Not exactly the best environment for this kind of tool.

Maybe I'll start with a probe and see how that performs first.

Did you make that tool yourself?
  • Options
    >>Did you make that tool yourself? <<

No, I won it image
    It is made in North Calif. by JW on the <FONT color=#000000>California Metal Detecting</FONT> forum.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>>> pretty darn close to what I was imagining except for the length<<

I don't think you can use any thing longer. I have a custom unit that is 12 inch long and 3 inch in diameter..but find that in most lawns I can pull a plug of 6 or 7 inch at best in ONE try. A second try may get you another 3 or 4 inch down. It makes a nice plug, but you must be good at pinpointing!

A plugger is not for every type of hunting, I only use it at schools and WELL manicured lawns.
    If the ground is dry...don't bother.

Jerry >>

Does that tool have serated cutting edges? Doesn't look like it, I was just thinking if one took an old hole saw and welded it to a piece of muffler pipe and made a handle...might have to try it- I've got torches and a welder and nothing but time with all the snow on the ground.
  • Options
    >>Does that tool have serated cutting edges?<<

<DIV>Yes, it has a few about one inch apart.You can see them in the photo. It would be easy to increase the number and size if need be.

Jerry</DIV>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i have seen a guy using a bottle probe with a core attachment. pushing a bottle probe in the ground is hard enough. using the core probe has got to be torture to use.
    with some practice, you can find outhouses and trash pits easily. its best to get a 6ft probe made with spring steel. when you hit glass or brick, you'll know it. typically old homes had the pits along the fence line. you can also look for depressions on the ground surface.

what ever you do, make sure you fill in the hole completely.
  • Options
    It's funny, because it's not like you want to test the probe first. I mean who wants to dig a 5 foot hole, put in a bottle, fill it in, and start poking it with the probe? "Ohhhhhh, THAT'S what a bottle feels like..."

I guess you just kind of "know" when you hit one?

I read a thread in another group where the guys dug down 57' into a privy hole before they started finding the really good bottles. Is that common? I'm going to be a little nervous digging down 10 feet! Too many visions of being buried alive...